The Psychology of Speed

XT Alan
This post is 7196 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It's interesting how many sports bikes are on the roads. My last bike, before I went all sensible with the XT660R, was an 03 CB1300. The speed and power of this bike were awesome. Overtakes from 50 - 100 -50 were over in the blink of an eye. Nothing on 4 wheels could get close coming off a bend or roundabout. The ease of reducing Subaru WRXs to a dot in the mirrors or sweeping past BMW M5s was staggering and addictive. Now, I am old and reasonably mature, but I still indulged in this behaviour more than was prudent. Who could resist sweeping past an "on it" Mercedes CLK 55 AMG on a wave of torque as I once did? But believe it or not this kind of riding gets boring quite quickly. That's all this bike could do and because it was a naked machine, all the fun was over at relatively low speeds (---mph!!!!).

So, the obvious next step is into the Super League! Yamaha R1, GSXR 1000, Blade, ZX10. Now the fun can be had at 120 mph +.

Only one problem: Try to have fun at this speed on the public roads and you WILL sooner or later lose your licence or get killed.

So here's the point: All these Super Sports Bikes CAN do is SPEED. Speed is WHY they exist. They are so fast that they only come on song at 100 mph+. If you have one you WILL use its performance, otherwise WHAT IS THE POINT?

Moral 1: Only an idiot buys a 170+mph bike (and pays all that insurance and puts up with all the discomfort) and sticks to normal safe speeds.

Moral 2: Only an idiot thinks that he/she can cope with 120mph on the public roads.

Bottom Line - Therefore ALL Super Sports Riders are IDIOTS, whether they ride slowly or fast :shock: But then, we already knew that didn't we? :D:D:D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely Alan.

If you examine the logic behind buying a mega machine.....there isn't any.

If you regularly did trackdays, then that would be a justifiable reason to some extent. But it's an awful lot of money to risk destroying in an environment like that, where technically you're not insured.

wise words alan, as i've said before, these big supersports dont really belong on the roads, they should stay on race tracks. there's too thin a line between the pair now. the best future for biking that i can see is duelsports and suchlikes, single, twin pot and triple engines, plenty grunt, loads of ground clearance, lightness, fun at 70mph. the brittish seem to be a nation of race rep lovers though :roll: will other types of bikes ever really catch on here? i hope so!

Huge dualsport market in Europe. But over here you go to any showroom and what do you find? Sportsbikes everywhere!

Is it possible to find a showroom in the UK that doesn't have a used CBR6 in it?

it's a shame really isn't it. most of the brits dont seem to have the imagination to buy something other than the usual cbr/gsxr/zxr etc. you once said that alot of folk are on the wrong bike for them pete and you're right. they go in the dealers, think 'oh everyone else has one of them so i had better get one too' then the slimey dealer guy creeps over and convinces them that is what they need....160mph sky high insurance no comfort etc :roll: you can't go wrong with a good xj 8) :lol:

Then there's the Sad fool (Me) that rides a 21yr. old Cruiser (of all things :oops: )....that i bought for only $700, almost 4 years ago now.....TBH It's an Ill handling Bugger, but I just can't beat the reliability 8)

I am getting tired of it :roll: ......& I'd sure be totally satisfied with just another XJ, only a bit newer :wink: ....I guess that's why I've got a thing for the 600 Divvy.....Decent handling with the reknowned simplicity of an XJ 8) ......I don't need to go any faster than a Buck & a quarter anyway :wink:

The general public is missing the point with the Bigger & Faster theory :?

I guess the bottom line is that SPEED is Highly Over-Rated :roll:

Ok i'm an IDIOT I admit it but I also own a WR450 and when I feel like it I pinch my fellas Cagiva Nellie and I can be just as much an idiot on those!

why the hell do you guys slag off sports bikes so much is more the question. i mean when was the last time you lot achully properly road a sports bike and had the thirll of doing over 110mph? hell, ive had mine 4weeks now and i still buzz off it when i start the thing up. to say that people dont have enough imagination to buy anything diffrent than a sports bike is such a stupid comment, hell, they must have plenty, because they dont all go for the same, imo i think you guys are jelous of the people and sports bike riders. yea ok i aint going to stick up for all of them as i know some are pricks who buy a sports bike just to look good. but do you not think that maby if 70%(thats just a random guess at that figure its probebly not even close...but it'll do :) ) of people buy sports bikes that maby not all of the can have a lack of imagination and prehaps just knowing that the power is there (not always using it) and having people stare at the there bikes which they'd sweated blood to save up for for 6years or something or other gives them satisfaction. also im pritty sure they do more than just speed, they corner well to, and tbh mine is more comfatable for long distances than my supermoto. i know a couple of people which dont have a car but they live with sports bikes and find them plenty practical and have been doing so now for the past 6 or so years. sorry ive sort of blabbled on a bit but do you think there would be such a huge sports bike market just because no one has brains?! and importing markets types over isnt nessicerrly good, i mean hell i bet the turkish think 'ha england has no shitty scooters omg they should get them they are superb for absolutly everything!' when realisticaly they would prove to work to well in england (although come to think im not sure they would fair to bad if the scooter image thing was sorted out...)

1 more thing, when its cold and raining, my tank keeps my nads warm :D

why the hell do you guys slag off sports bikes so much is more the question. i mean when was the last time you lot achully properly road a sports bike and had the thirll of doing over 110mph? hell, ive had mine 4weeks now and i still buzz off it when i start the thing up. to say that people dont have enough imagination to buy anything diffrent than a sports bike is such a stupid comment, hell, they must have plenty, because they dont all go for the same, imo i think you guys are jelous of the people and sports bike riders. yea ok i aint going to stick up for all of them as i know some are pricks who buy a sports bike just to look good. but do you not think that maby if 70%(thats just a random guess at that figure its probebly not even close...but it'll do :) ) of people buy sports bikes that maby not all of the can have a lack of imagination and prehaps just knowing that the power is there (not always using it) and having people stare at the there bikes which they'd sweated blood to save up for for 6years or something or other gives them satisfaction. also im pritty sure they do more than just speed, they corner well to, and tbh mine is more comfatable for long distances than my supermoto. i know a couple of people which dont have a car but they live with sports bikes and find them plenty practical and have been doing so now for the past 6 or so years. sorry ive sort of blabbled on a bit but do you think there would be such a huge sports bike market just because no one has brains?! and importing markets types over isnt nessicerrly good, i mean hell i bet the turkish think 'ha england has no shitty scooters omg they should get them they are superb for absolutly everything!' when realisticaly they would prove to work to well in england (although come to think im not sure they would fair to bad if the scooter image thing was sorted out...)  

1 more thing, when its cold and raining, my tank keeps my nads warm  :D

You're right...I'm so jealous of sports bike riders.

I know I'm missing out on dressing up like Darth Vadar and assuming the "first day in prison position".

And I really want to sweat my guts out in a one piece leather with a hump on my back...not to mention accidentally pissing down my leg everytime I need to visit the loo cos my zip doesn't go low enough.

And nothing like having to do a 9 point turn every time you try and turn round or park the bike.

Wrist ache is cool too, not to mention the pain in trying to turn your neck to do a lifesaver.

I've got to get one...cos I soooo want to belong.

Eminem is popular too.....I better get into him as well. :roll:

Well said skyline. We may be idiots but at least we're not bigots. When was the last time you heard us slating green laners??

Each to there own in my opinion.

Two wheels better no matter what it is :evil:

Well said skyline. We may be idiots but at least we're not bigots. When was the last time you heard us slating green laners??

Some of us have ridden "race rep" bikes for longer than they have been a "fashion accessory" (in fact since before the term race rep began)and I don't see why I should have to change what I ride to because they go alot faster now.

why the hell do you guys slag off sports bikes so much is more the question. i mean when was the last time you lot achully properly road a sports bike and had the thirll of doing over 110mph? hell, ive had mine 4weeks now and i still buzz off it when i start the thing up. to say that people dont have enough imagination to buy anything diffrent than a sports bike is such a stupid comment, hell, they must have plenty, because they dont all go for the same, imo i think you guys are jelous of the people and sports bike riders.   tbh mine is more comfatable for long distances than my supermoto. i know a couple of people which dont have a car but they live with sports bikes and find them plenty practical and have been doing so now for the past 6 or so years.  

1 more thing, when its cold and raining, my tank keeps my nads warm  :D

SkyDude!........I do 110+mph almost everyday......Big deal :roll:

4 weeks ain't shit for time.......let's see If you still feel the same way after 10+ YEARS of riding a Crotch Rocket everyday :? ......& How could I possibly be jealous :roll: ....that's why the market is the way it is

Besides....Jealousy is such a Big waste of time & energy.....Life is too short for that :wink:

1 more thing, Any real biker knows that petrol absorbs the cold outside :roll:

Calm down N-Tart. :lol:

All you ladies have special dispensation to wear tight leathers and assume the "first day in prison" position!

In fact, it's positively desirable in my book! 8)

And if you're honest about it...nothing looks more ridiculous than a fat, bald, sweaty, beer-gutted middle aged man trying to wedge his gut into a one piece. Then sitting on his bike with his big fucking darby flopped all over the tank like a beached whale. :lol:

Now...nubile young things like yourself look great...centrefold material I'd say. 8)

im all good for people having sports bikes as long as the riders can control them.

which they cant really :roll:

it would be nice to see everyone have 2 years 33brake not just us 18 yr olds cause it would do the bikers a hella good

Calm down N-Tart. :lol:

All you ladies have special dispensation to wear tight leathers and assume the "first day in prison" position!

In fact, it's positively desirable in my book! 8)

And if you're honest about it...nothing looks more ridiculous than a fat, bald, sweaty, beer-gutted middle aged man trying to wedge his gut into a one piece. Then sitting on his bike with his big fucking darby flopped all over the tank like a beached whale. :lol:

Now...nubile young things like yourself look great...centrefold material I'd say. 8)

Fat, bald, sweaty middleaged men was not the issue but now you come to mention it :eek :-&

skyline, you get a 400 and now you're gods gift :lol: get real, every one of us that made the comments has rode more fast bikes than you ya silly boy, you're not the first person to ride a sports bike :roll: we just dont go boasting about silly speeds we've done, why should we, nothing to prove! go get some experience, you're just off a 50 ffs! also i seem to remember you were complaining about it not so long ago saying you need something more comfortable.....i rest my case, 4 weeks bah :roll:

i was a real speed freak when i was younger..now i'm all old :wink: i ride more considerately, got 2 kids to think of so no more psycho riding for me....especially on my PW50 :wink:

so no more psycho riding for me....especially on my PW50  :wink:

Awww come on Beez......You ain't in the rocking chair yet :lol:

I'll Drag ya for Beers with my PeeDub :?: :wink:

The Sportsbike riders have missed my point almost entirely!

An idiot is someone who is "incapable of rational conduct" Oxford English Dictionary.

I defy anyone (even Pete :shock: ) to remain rational while seated on an R1. If you have a bike that CAN do 0-60 in 3.0? seconds, top out at 170 mph+ and handle like a race bike, you WILL sooner or later have a go.

Not to do so when you have bought a bike that exists to do this and ONLY this is NOT rational.

To do this when you do not have the skills to cope with these speeds is also NOT rational, it is SUICIDAL.

This is not bigotry, this is rational thought.

If any of you think that you DO have the skill to cope with an R1 consider this:

4 years ago a journalist lapped the IOM TT Course at 105mph on a standard (straight out of the showroom with NO modifications at all) CBR600.

Therefore the new R1 could certainly manage a lap between 110 mph and 115 mph. If anyone here has this level of riding skill, an R1 is THE RIGHT BIKE FOR YOU. If you DO NOT have this skill, then riding an R1 to its full potential is extremely dangerous to yourself and others.

PS As pieces of engineering and beauty, these Supersports bikes are wonderful awe inspiring machines.

PPS The fastest I have ever gone on a bike is 150 mph in a very straight line - no skill invlolved. Interesting fact is that at this speed all helmet noise and buffeting stops and it does not FEEL that fast. Until you hit something or fall off I suppose :roll: