Disk Lock

martiniman
This post is 5130 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All does anyone know the size of the holes in the disk on a XVS 125 Dragstar? just i want a disk lock 6mm seems to be the norm size?

Regards

Martiniman

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All does anyone know the size of the holes in the disk on a XVS 125 Dragstar? just i want a disk lock 6mm seems to be the norm size?

Regards

Martiniman

Hole size on mine is 7mm. If the stem bolt on the lock is 6mm then it should be fine

Sounds about right i tried to measure them on my bike but couldnt decide if it was 6mm or 7mm lol

Thanks for that.

Martiniman.

6mm??!!

That is about the diameter of a ballpoint pen!!

Seriously - This: ]XXX[ is just over 6mm (assuming you have the same screen resolution as me, it's about 6.35mm).

You sure you have the right holes?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure I follow that, 7mm hole - 11mm bolt, 40 years as an engineering craftsman tells me thats an interference fit then.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure I follow that, 7mm hole - 11mm bolt, 40 years as an engineering craftsman tells me thats an interference fit then.

This doesn't go through the 6mm holes in the disc - it goes through the large gaps in the middle of the brake disc & the body of the lock goes over the edge (like a giant 'U') - I'll post a pic of one on my bike tomorrow...

This doesn't go through the 6mm holes in the disc - it goes through the large gaps in the middle of the brake disc & the body of the lock goes over the edge (like a giant 'U') - I'll post a pic of one on my bike tomorrow...

That's what I was getting at...

4010-0080-Xena-XN-Series-XN18-Self-Arming-110dB-Alarm-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock-Carbide.jpg

Those small 6mm holes on the outer ring are just for venting during braking. The next ring in is a single line of large holes. The bolt goes through one of those.

Just REMEMBER to put the lock right up against the back of your brake caliper. That way, even if you forget to take it off, when you try and ride away you will only travel 6" and then stop..... rather than 6 yards, stop, go over the handlebars, wreck your caliper and trash the bike!!

That's what I was getting at...

4010-0080-Xena-XN-Series-XN18-Self-Arming-110dB-Alarm-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock-Carbide.jpg

Those small 6mm holes on the outer ring are just for venting during braking. The next ring in is a single line of large holes. The bolt goes through one of those.

Just REMEMBER to put the lock right up against the back of your brake caliper. That way, even if you forget to take it off, when you try and ride away you will only travel 6" and then stop..... rather than 6 yards, stop, go over the handlebars, wreck your caliper and trash the bike!!

I get the picture now. Sound advice too, sometimes the embarrasment is more painful than the damage

I get the picture now. Sound advice too, sometimes the embarrasment is more painful than the damage

p0ynbeoy5ezgf53ffyf1fn.jpg

god yeah never thought about where to put the lock good advice.

No need to feel silly if you can learn from other peoples' mistakes, rather than your own, eh!!

I have actually seen this happen, as well... One of our Riding Group, known as Dangerous Brian because he wore a two-piece silver (yes, shiny tinfoil-like) racing suit!!

We all left wherever it was that we'd ridden out to and gunned off down the road on our respective bikes. Cruisers, Sporties, Tourers, all kinds. Brian was on an old bike, something with a fair bit of grunt.

Rev, rev, rev, clutch out - Hoping to impress the passers-by.

Instead he hits the forgotten disclock, bursts his caliper to bits, vaults over the bars and causes a roar of laughter from those of us still around to see!!!

Not badly hurt, but needed a new lid and a lot of front end replacements.... and a new disclock!!

But with a 'foil suit' on your fully protected, not only from road rash but from nuclear flash, microwave radiation, radar, heat seeking missiles and UV from the sun-good old Brian, sensible :blink:

god yeah never thought about where to put the lock good advice.

Cheers

Martin

Some come with/or you can buy a 'reminder' cable that go from the lock to your front brake lever so you don't forget...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd recommend getting an alarmed disc lock - mainly as it goes off when you start the bike (thanks to the vibration) if you've forgotten remove it...

Mine has saved me from caliper damage at least half a dozen times!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online