Clutch Replacement

peterxj600
This post is 5349 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My pre-Div XJ600's clutch is on its last legs. Never replaced a bike clutch before, is it standard practice to replace the steel plates as well as the friction plates? The steel plates in the clutch are still in acceptable condition. Only asking cos when i've replaced car clutches I always replace the plate and cover.

Cheers

P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My pre-Div XJ600's clutch is on its last legs. Never replaced a bike clutch before, is it standard practice to replace the steel plates as well as the friction plates? The steel plates in the clutch are still in acceptable condition. Only asking cos when i've replaced car clutches I always replace the plate and cover.

Cheers

P

You only need to replace the steel plates if they are damaged or warped (check by putting them on a flat metal surface)

Do replace the springs though while you have it apart eh, even if they are ok length wise they have been in and out a few times and getting weak could save ya having to pull it apart again in the near future

Merv

Now then " i heard [ from a little bird] if u bead blast the steel plates , Does wonders against clutch slip,unsure.gif ,, any body got views on this advice????

Do replace the springs though while you have it apart eh, even if they are ok length wise they have been in and out a few times and getting weak could save ya having to pull it apart again in the near future

Merv

Also, while your at it replace the needle bearing behind the pressure plate, approx £10.00

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online