carb icing

eagle56
This post is 5367 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

what is this and how does it effect the engine

Try putting 'carb icing' into google or similar search engine.

It is when the fuel freezes in the carb due to the low pressure created. It happens on warm damp days, not cold ones generally. The engine will stop eventually, after a period of poor running/lack of power

I had this on an early XV535 before they fitted carb heaters. The bike became sluggish as though it was running on one cylinder. It was a slightly cold and damp day.

ATB

J

I had this on an early XV535 before they fitted carb heaters. The bike became sluggish as though it was running on one cylinder. It was a slightly cold and damp day.

ATB

J

addmit it joshua2 ,you were trying to save fuel by shutting off a carb.tight :ct:

You can still get it, even with carb heaters.

On some bikes (like mine), the carb heater sensors are quite well shielded from the cold air, so they don't always kick in. A bit of modding will take care of that, but it's a reet pain.

Also - Silkolene and others do fuel additives that help prevent icing.

Carefull up.yours when a 350 ices up it holds the throttle open cos the ice forms around the slide, i lost a set of rings to it cold day, the carbs froze at full throttle dont realise till i pull clutch for the gearchange, instant 12-13000rpm and bang.....

Mine runs rough at low revs but fine at motarway speed and wide open I surpose this is not down to cab icing otherwise it would be the same at all revs.

strange it happens only when its warmed up?????????

Sounds more like the choke is not closing properly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online