what sand paper to use to get a good crome like shine ?

barwell1992
This post is 5372 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

what sand paper to use to get a good crome like shine ?

i was thinking 2000 grit or maybe 2500 or even 3000?? what do you think i have already sanded the bits im doing with quite fine stuf but you can still see the lines so want to go even finer

i know how to do it as i did it to the top of the coper cooler on my computer prosesor (lapping) just wondering how far to go ?

this is the cpu after lapping with sand paper so thats what i want my other stuf to look like but not coper obv

2nm2hoj.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

found this for ya!! hope its useful....

http://hawg-wash.com/polishingmetal.html

basically use the finest grade paper u can get...i use to be able to get Rolls Royce grade paper from work for polishing the smallest of scratches and i mean the smallest of scratches lol....then use a good polishing agent made for chrome

Personally I wouldn't put sandpaper anywhere near my chrome. :unsure:

I would use very fine wire wool (000) and/or Solvol Autosol as anything else would be too abrasive.

ATB

J

cheers both

and i have already got a good (ish) sine from using 600grit paper with a lot of patience so im going to b&q to morrow to get some finer stuf then might look for some aluminium seal and finish them off

and as for the wire wool thing i thorght about that but i dident have any so used what i had and it looks good so far :)

EDIT

and the parts im doing ar small and cheep to repalce :) so dosent bother me about trying stuf im doing rear foot pegs that are verry pitted and look sh*te and the right side heal plate, the heal plate was scrached to f*ck and had stone gouges in it and it now dosent also the pits have gone out of the rear pegs and are now looking nice and shiny :) but not shiny enough so will try and get them done buy to morrow then post pics

lol tooth paste works on dvd's to lol :P
its used to polish glass,i used it on my engine cases,i shit you not.

well i finished them to day and they look good and im pleased with the results

hears some/lots of photos

hears the pitting on the metal befor sanding

P1030576.jpg

hears after

P1030589.jpg

21082009191.jpg

21082009189.jpg

hears the heal shield as well all sanded and polished up

P1030597.jpg

P1030599.jpg

mmmm shiny lol

21082009192.jpg

worked out will if i do say so my self

fcuk me i wouldnt like to scratch your bike,your obsessed with it . :unsure:

haha lol im 17 its my first proper bike what do you expect lol :D and they were the only things letting in down and i wanted to try somthing new :)

I have used a cloth polishing wheel mounted in a powerdrill with good results. i just put it on a long bolt and held it on with a nut, and spend a few bucks and get some of that polishing compound in a stick.

if you have the space you could get a bench grinder and put the polisher on it.....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online