DT 400 Magneto

the_menno
This post is 5208 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good day All,

My question is: how interchangeable are parts from a DT400A (1975) with later year DT400's? I need a new magneto and flywheel but eBay seems to be offering mostly parts from 1977 and 1978. Can I use later model magneto and flywheels on my '75?

Cheers,

The Menno

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good day All,

My question is: how interchangeable are parts from a DT400A (1975) with later year DT400's? I need a new magneto and flywheel but eBay seems to be offering mostly parts from 1977 and 1978. Can I use later model magneto and flywheels on my '75?

Cheers,

The Menno

The dt360 from &$ should have the same flywheel and coil plate...

The '75 & '76 (A/B) DT400 & DT250 all used the same flywheel/ignition. Other years might work too.

No sir they do not. The DT 400 uses a CDI Ignition and the DT 250 has a points Ignition.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

one question: Does anybody have a picture of the correct connections of the coils of the magneto of a dt 400 (1976)? I try to restore such a bike and bought it in pieces.

thnx in advance

regards

Jan

Hi all,

one question: Does anybody have a picture of the correct connections of the coils of the magneto of a dt 400 (1976)? I try to restore such a bike and bought it in pieces.

thnx in advance

regards

Jan

someone un-soldered the coils or what jan?

...Paul

No sir they do not. The DT 400 uses a CDI Ignition and the DT 250 has a points Ignition.

They do from 78 on though, thats when the 250 changed to cdi isn't it?

You can swap a DT400 CDI to a DT250 points setup. A couple members on the Yamaha Enduro forum have done so already when their CDI died. Source: http://64.234.201.42/YamahaForum/showthread.php?t=7558&highlight=dt400+dt250+points

You cannot, however, use an ignition from a bike later than '76 on a '75 AFAIK as the design is different.

This leaves you with a couple of options. Personally I would swap over a points ignition if you could just to eliminate the CDI once and for all...the electrics are getting old in those, and they can be quite problematic at times, not to mention very expensive if you happen to need a new one. Points are cheap and durable, so you can't go wrong. :twocents:

someone un-soldered the coils or what jan?

There ya are, meddlin :rolleyes:

Hi,

yes, the coils, the plate, and all the other stuff I have but each by each and now I have to fix it. It would be easier for me to have a photo where I can see the different coloured connections, 'cause I'm not the electric expert by using the connection diagramm.

Thanks for replying

best regards from northern Germany,

Jan

You can swap a DT400 CDI to a DT250 points setup. A couple members on the Yamaha Enduro forum have done so already when their CDI died. Source: http://64.234.201.42/YamahaForum/showthread.php?t=7558&highlight=dt400+dt250+points

You cannot, however, use an ignition from a bike later than '76 on a '75 AFAIK as the design is different.

This leaves you with a couple of options. Personally I would swap over a points ignition if you could just to eliminate the CDI once and for all...the electrics are getting old in those, and they can be quite problematic at times, not to mention very expensive if you happen to need a new one. Points are cheap and durable, so you can't go wrong. :twocents:

I agree.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online