test questions

wild foamy
This post is 5378 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey peeps, not long now until i can take my full test and ditch the DT for something with a bit more poke, but is it simply a case of doing the theory and then taking the practical test or is it similar to a car where you take loads of lessons before taking your test? - Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Steve, as you're under 21 you'll have to take your test on a 125 and get a restricted license for 2 years. Are you hoping to get a bigger bike and restrict it after your test or just get a 125? Both times I went to the test centre for my module 1 test I was the only person who wasn't with a training school, so it seems like most people do direct access these days, or at least have a couple of lessons and borrow the schools bike for the test. I suppose you can either do that or maybe buy yourself a 125 which you could legally ride on your CBT, practice by yourself and then do the test. It all depends what makes the most sense financially to you, and what bike you eventually want to have.

I haven't had any lessons, I just remembered everything I was told on my CBT, passed module 1 second time and have got my module 2 in September. The theory test is pretty easy, you can buy books and things to practice the questions, or do what I did and peruse the bittorent searches for a copy of the DVD ;)

Oh and I just remembered that a woman I spoke to at the DSA said motorcycle test prices are going up in October, might be worth remembering!

im not going to bother with buying my own 125 to ride on a CBT, its just a step-up from a 50 so i may aswell just practice on the DT and take my test(s) when im 17

im planning to get a bigger bike and restrict it for two years, im not riding through another winter on a peashooter! :lol:

in that case I would just ring up some local schools and have a chat, find out what they reckon the minimum amount of time to practice on their bike is. I wouldn't imagine it would take you long to get used to their 125, but for the module 1 test it would be handy for you to have a chance to practice the course. I struggled to get up to speed on my test but if I'd had a few practice goes I think it would have been easier.

As a guess I'd say half a day tuition for module 1 and another half day for module 2, just because you can practice as much as you want on your own bike in between and you really just want someone to point out any bad habits you might have picked up.

Although saying that, I won't be doing any lessons before my module 2 simply because I can't afford to lol.

heard alot of people mention the strictness when coming to speed, to give me an idea, what exactly are they looking for? getting upto speed from standing at a junction/lights etc? speed on corners demonstarting you can handle the bike?

Get up to speed as quickly as safety allows.

For example - When joining a 70mph road you need to get up to speed fast enough to merge with the traffic.

Do not speed.

When in a 30 limit, hover between 35 and 30.

Fast pull-aways and fast corners mean nothing and may count against you. Slow versions of these also count against.

What they want to see is appropriate speed.

Don't take ages turning right into a minor road, don't go so slowly that you hold up traffic, don't go so fast that you cannot manoeuvre safely.

That's what they're looking for on speed.

However, you will be examined on every aspect that you've covered in CBT.

:offtopic: i passed my test first attempt in in1983 ,i had no lessons ,it cost £12 and the day after i was on my brand new rd 350 lc .ive had one major off ,{in the side of a cop van }no fines for anything .but i dont think i would pass todays bike tests,,these tests today seem custom built so you need lots of lessons to line the pockets of ykw. once upon a time the test was to see if you were safe to be on the road.by todays standerds im obviously not. ,and my tip to pass is go out on the day and tell yourself its another ride out not a test.good luck to you all.

..........but i dont think i would pass todays bike tests,,.....................

Thats one of the few things we agree on. ;) You would have to study for a blood test ! :blink:

I passed my test in 1973 in the days when the examiner stood on the pavement and you rode round the block. For most of the test you were out of sight of the examiner. Basically as long as you didn't kill anyone or fall off you passed. Ive known people get lost and still pass.

Good luck with the test.

ATB

J

i had never riden a geard bike befor i had 2 lessons both of 5hours long and then i pased both first time so i would say lessons are verry good :)

the one major problem i had was hearing what the bloke was saying the mikes are SH*T like full on and they are huge lol

Thats one of the few things we agree on. ;) You would have to study for a blood test ! :blink:

I passed my test in 1973 in the days when the examiner stood on the pavement and you rode round the block. For most of the test you were out of sight of the examiner. Basically as long as you didn't kill anyone or fall off you passed. Ive known people get lost and still pass.

Good luck with the test.

ATB

J

that was the type of test i took,and dont laugh ,i got lost then did a u turn and got back on track,still passed though. you wont get away with that today :angry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online