Make your own WD40 !

barkwindjammer
This post is 4804 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:crylaugh: :crylaugh: :crylaugh::eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What Is WD-40? And What Can It Do For You?

It's the blue can with the oval yellow label and the red spray top with the tiny little red straw for directional spraying. But, WHAT IS...WD_40?

Developed in 1953 by a fellow named Norm Larsen who was trying to invent a product for a rocket company, that would prevent corrosion, rust, and act as a degreaser. The name, WD-40, stands for water displacement 40th attempt.

It does prevent corrosion, rust and is an excellent degreaser. But, it is so much more than that.

IT'S A CLEANER: if you want to get under dirt, grime and grease, yep, use WD-40. It also dissolves adhesives, making for easy removal of labels, tape and bonding material.

IT DISPLACES MOISTURE: it quickly dries out electrical systems and prevents moisture-induced short circuits

IT PENETRATES: It will loosen rust-to-metal bonds and free stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.

IT LUBRICATES: Great for oiling a squeaky hinge or fan.

IT PROTECTS: It protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

Some sites I have been to advise that it cures arthritis, but the official word is.. NO WAY..don't try it.

Other than that disclaimer everything I have read about all of it's uses (2000 or more) is pretty phenomenal.

I won't cover anywhere near 2000 but I will try to give you a blanket idea of this great product and it's uses.

Cleans crayons and gum from just about everything: metal, vinyl, car seats, floor mats and dashboards in cars; toys, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, walls, wallpaper and clothes. (I wonder if it would remove gum from hair)hmmmm.

It cleans grime from your car engine, removes sludge from the engine block, cleans and protects chrome on cars, cleans sidewalls on tires and shines whitewalls. Prevents rust everywhere, i.e. doors, spark plugs, windshield wipers, and more (reminds me I need to spray some on those rusty spots on my car).

Oh it keeps locks and spray nozzles for windshield washers from freezing, and defreezes doors. (That's really exciting to me, because now I won't have to use my hammer claw to pry open my frozen car doors.) I wonder if it would also work on ice covered windows, you know, spray it on before the ice settles and then just watch slide it off. Voila, no scraping!!!

Oh I love this one..it softens and dissolves dried manure from shoes.

Prevents calcium buildup on sprinkler heads.

Cleans patio door glide strip.

Removes water spots from mirrors.

Cleans and protects underside of cast iron skillets.

Removes ink from carpet.

Cleans bottoms of pots and pans. Cool, Cool, Cool

Keeps paint from sticking to paint brushes.

Protects inner machinery in toilet against corrosion.

Great for keeping chiggers from eating the kidlings when they are playing in the grass.

And, for those of you who live down south it will take the sting and itch out of a fire ants sting. (wonder if it works with mosquitoes).

• 11 months later...

I don't know about how to make your own WD40, but I do know how to make your own anti-freeze.

"Take her nightie off!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: