Module 1 test tomorrow (weds)

hate_camel
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, got my module 1 tomorrow morning and as I know a few people here have done it recently I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I've watched the videos, spent the last few days riding round car parks at 4mph, I'm quite confident and at the back of my mind I know its only cost me a tenner to have a go, if I pass great and if I fail at least I know what to expect for next time!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh well, I failed because I was 4KPH too slow for the hazard avoidance, and 1KPH too slow on the emergency stop. Apart from that I only had one minor for observations. Its such a frustrating way to fail a test, all because I struggled to get my 125 up to speed in time. I'll give it another go, I reckon my bike can do it, but its such a small space that you really have to wind it up and on a damp patch of tarmac I wasn't getting the best out of it. It would be easy on a 500 but I don't want to have to pay for DAS.

I can see the benefit of the new off road part of the test, and the slow speed maneuvers are definitely beneficial, but the euro speed targets have pissed me right off. There was another bloke on a 125 before me and he failed for the same reason, and when I was chatting to some instructors, I told them I failed afterward and they all went, 'speed?' so its obviously a common problem.

So I'm off to find a bend similar to the one on the test and will try and get round it as fast as I can, preferably with some kids or elderly people on the other side so I can practice my swerve too!

Oh well, I failed because I was 4KPH too slow for the hazard avoidance, and 1KPH too slow on the emergency stop. Apart from that I only had one minor for observations. Its such a frustrating way to fail a test, all because I struggled to get my 125 up to speed in time. I'll give it another go, I reckon my bike can do it, but its such a small space that you really have to wind it up and on a damp patch of tarmac I wasn't getting the best out of it. It would be easy on a 500 but I don't want to have to pay for DAS.

I can see the benefit of the new off road part of the test, and the slow speed maneuvers are definitely beneficial, but the euro speed targets have pissed me right off. There was another bloke on a 125 before me and he failed for the same reason, and when I was chatting to some instructors, I told them I failed afterward and they all went, 'speed?' so its obviously a common problem.

So I'm off to find a bend similar to the one on the test and will try and get round it as fast as I can, preferably with some kids or elderly people on the other side so I can practice my swerve too!

What test are you taking? is it for the A2 licence?

Bad luck mate.

Pete

What test are you taking? is it for the A2 licence?

Yeah I'm doing A2, I thought that passing on my current bike would be a cheap way of doing it and I'm happy to have a restricted license for 2 years, it will keep me safe I reckon. Don't want to pay for Direct Access if I can help it, the whole point of getting a 125 was to learn about biking, have fun and get through my test but they seem to have made it more difficult to do that by yourself.

Thanks anyway guys

Comiserations HC, that is a hellish feeling, keep at it bud, and the very best of - for next time :mellow:

bad luck man :/

when i did it i hit it 6kph over what i had to do

it helped not having any nervs

best of luck for next time

Sorry to hear that, - but don't we use MPH in this Country?

Yeah that's what I thought but the test has been brought in line with the rest of the EU so its all in foreign, its enough to make me vote BNP! (just kidding)

This is the problem with the DSA, there is no give and no leaway - they are too ridgid, after all how can you judge +/- 5 KPH (2 or 3 MPH) on a small bike speedo, and keep your eyes on the road ?

How did/do they measure your speed ? and do you get more than one attempt when it's down to something like this ?

At least next time you'll know what you have to do, good luck.

They have a speed trap which you ride through (just before the swerve) and the examiner has a hand held digital read-out of the speed. I did get a second attempt at each of those high speed manouvers, so my first attempts were even slower. I found the corner was sharper than I expected and quite difficult to build up the momentum I needed to reach the speed. To be honest I don't even remember doing the swerve, I was so busy concentrating on my speedo. I think I would have done it on a third attempt, but you don't get one of those! Like you say, I know what to expect next time so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

just booked another test for Thursday, unbelievably that is the only spot they have before 8th September, what a joke! I will have to spend the weekend getting used to the sound of my poor bike screaming out in pain as I rev the arse off it. I had a new idea to get me up to speed though, aim for the examiner, that's all the motivation I need to give it full throttle!

Sorry to hear about your test i failed the old test first time for putting my foot down on a u-turn so i know where your coming from fingers crossed for your second attempt

I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

hi,bad luck, the tip i give to everyone is dont look at it as a test ,tell yourself its another ride out and enjoy the day ,it helps you to relax .the only other TIP ,is dont anwer the phone when your ironing,good luck next time.kev

I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

hi,bad luck, the tip i give to everyone is dont look at it as a test ,tell yourself its another ride out and enjoy the day ,it helps you to relax .the only other TIP ,is dont anwer the phone when your ironing,good luck next time.kev

Just a quick question. What bike did you do it on?. I have a YZFR125 and im thinking of taking it on that. Im pretty sure its fast enough to get to the required speed.

Regards

Derek.

Hi Derek

I don't reckon speed will be as much of a problem for you. I did it on an SR125 which is great for all the slow speed stuff but doesn't have much poke really. I've never ridden a sports style bike but I would imagine that as long as you are confident with you U turns and figure of 8 stuff that you will be fine.

Chris

They picked you up on 1kmh?

Thats really tight and when road riding you dont even make sure you doing exactly the speed limit any way :huh:

Btter luck next time ;)

Hi Derek

I don't reckon speed will be as much of a problem for you. I did it on an SR125 which is great for all the slow speed stuff but doesn't have much poke really. I've never ridden a sports style bike but I would imagine that as long as you are confident with you U turns and figure of 8 stuff that you will be fine.

Chris

I think im going to do it on my own bike. Like you say, its all about learning about biking for a year or two.

Just a quick question. What bike did you do it on?. I have a YZFR125 and im thinking of taking it on that. Im pretty sure its fast enough to get to the required speed.

Regards

Derek.

sorry for the slow reply,the bike i used was an MTX125 cc ,rather new at the time,theyr classics now,

passed! no minors! 50kph for swerve and 54kph for emergency stop. Had to have a second go to get the speed on the swerve and cut it about as fine as you possibly can but did it and thats the main thing, I'm so pleased to get it out of the way! Gonna book module 2 tomorrow as their website is down for the moment. Thanks for all the messages guys. If there is anyone thinking of taking the test then just go for it, it really is pretty simple, my only trouble was getting up to speed but the bike did me proud today. The maneuvers themselves are easy and if you can't do them you shouldn't be on the road frankly. I'm so glad to be one step closer to losing my L plates!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online