Yamaha YZF-R1/Safety Questions

LoCoBoi187
This post is 5413 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm 15 years old, and I plan to get the Yamaha YZF-R1 on my 18th birthday (2012 model) or whatever better is available from Yamaha at that time (planning to spend no more than 15k). My mom agrees on getting it for me, but my dad says its too dangerous. I definitely do not plan to do stunts like wheelies, and max I'll go is 120mph on a straight highway. Is there anyway to convince my dad that the stereotype of motorcycles being dangerous is not true? Also, what safety precautions can be used to avoid accidents? Also, can you mod your motorcycle to be safe or help the rider while riding the motorcycle, and mods that let other drivers see you clearly? I really need to give my dad good reasons why I should get a motorcycle other than a car. I am open for any suggestions or tips, and please don't bash me due to my age. All I want is a Yamaha :D.

-Thanks

LoCoBoi187

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm 15 years old, and I plan to get the Yamaha YZF-R1 on my 18th birthday (2012 model) or whatever better is available from Yamaha at that time (planning to spend no more than 15k). My mom agrees on getting it for me, but my dad says its too dangerous. I definitely do not plan to do stunts like wheelies, and max I'll go is 120mph on a straight highway. Is there anyway to convince my dad that the stereotype of motorcycles being dangerous is not true? Also, what safety precautions can be used to avoid accidents? Also, can you mod your motorcycle to be safe or help the rider while riding the motorcycle, and mods that let other drivers see you clearly? I really need to give my dad good reasons why I should get a motorcycle other than a car. I am open for any suggestions or tips, and please don't bash me due to my age. All I want is a Yamaha :D.

-Thanks

LoCoBoi187

Hi !

Its surely going to be another 3 years time before you could lay your hands on a litre machine. As per my experience ridding superbikes for the lst 8 years you should first start atleast with a 600 cc or below. Its for your own safety and for the safety for other road users. You are the best Judge in this case. After all You should be confident inorder to ride and ride safetly. - Cheers!!!!!!

I would seriously think twice about buying a litre sports bike as your first bike. I wouldn't even recommend a 600 sports. I've just got my first "big bike" an XJ600N and it's plenty fast enough for me to develop my skills on. If you go from nothing to a 180mph superbike you're very likely to kill yourself and perhaps others.

my dad says its too dangerous.

I definitely do not plan to do stunts like wheelies, and max I'll go is 120mph

I think your dad might be right.

forget about an R1 for a first bike, forget about trying to reach kill-yourself-quick speed.

When you can, get yourself a nice easy to handle learner bike, build up your skills and show your dad that you are safe.

When you've got the right attitude to handle a bike bike - then get one!

So a bike like the FZ6 or YZF-R6(whatever looks good is fine with me)?(both have 600cc). I hear the ninjas are better for begging bikes. Haven't really looked into it yet. Even if i plan to get an easy beginners bike, my dad will still say its dangerous. I don't have many reasons right now to tell him why I should get it. I need reasons =/.

To be honest anyone who says a bike is dangerous is just being an arse. Of course a bike isn't dangerous, I've three in the garage and they've never hurt anyone.

Riders on the other had, are, or at least can be - I alway ride with the thought that whatever happens, it's my fault. Keeps me out of the Emergency Room.

I don't know your dad, but I'd just show him over time that I am trustworthy, that I'm not a knob-on-a-bike. Try lookig for some training, MotoX or trial riding that you can take up now. It's just a thought.

In all my years on a bike, I've hit 140mph once, on a foreign road and it scared the pant filling out of me! We're all young and daft at times, even the older ones!

You are just gonna have to show your old man that you are trustworthy of a bike, if not you are just going to have to wait until you can afford one yourself.

1/. Wait until you're old enough and have the money to get a bike before deciding which one you want.

2/. Tastes change - When I was 12 I wanted this red sporty thing. When I was old enough and had the money, I realised a Cruiser was better suited to what I needed. Don't base your choice on looks alone.

3/. My bike doesn't even go 120!! Biking is not all about speed - That's where your dad is already starting to get the stereotypes from and quoting insane speeds like that will not help. If you want his respect, KNOW the speed limits and stick below them. Start by learning the rules of the road. ALL of them. Become a safe riding geek - Talk to the Police riders, go out with your dad in the car and talk with him as you negotiate the roads.

4/. Do all the training you can get and see how you like it. Then let your experiences dictate which bike is suitable for you.

5/. Training, awareness, responsible riding and hi-viz clothing will do more for your safety than anything else.

Good reasons to get a bike rather than a car:

- Cheaper. Costs less on tax, fuel, ownership etc

- Ease of maintenance. Pride in home maintenance is almost a way of life for bikers.

- Freedom.

- Support - Socially and technically, the biker community is second to none!!

1/. Wait until you're old enough and have the money to get a bike before deciding which one you want.

2/. Tastes change - When I was 12 I wanted this red sporty thing. When I was old enough and had the money, I realised a Cruiser was better suited to what I needed. Don't base your choice on looks alone.

3/. My bike doesn't even go 120!! Biking is not all about speed - That's where your dad is already starting to get the stereotypes from and quoting insane speeds like that will not help. If you want his respect, KNOW the speed limits and stick below them. Start by learning the rules of the road. ALL of them. Become a safe riding geek - Talk to the Police riders, go out with your dad in the car and talk with him as you negotiate the roads.

4/. Do all the training you can get and see how you like it. Then let your experiences dictate which bike is suitable for you.

5/. Training, awareness, responsible riding and hi-viz clothing will do more for your safety than anything else.

Good reasons to get a bike rather than a car:

- Cheaper. Costs less on tax, fuel, ownership etc

- Ease of maintenance. Pride in home maintenance is almost a way of life for bikers.

- Freedom.

- Support - Socially and technically, the biker community is second to none!!

That helps a bunch. I guess when I'm 16 this year i'll just get the Ninja 250r for about 4G and do some training.

im 24 i passed my test in march 09. I have had a 125cc off road dirt bike since the age of 15 so ive rode a bike for a small while, me and the old man just set out cones and make shift roads and done some training together basicly a mini cbt to make sure i was safe and experience enough to ride. Also it gets him involved which will give him and insight.

Still now i am learning to take corners. slow control is still quite tricky start low then as experience grows so can the bike

i now own an r6 and is plenty for the next few years hope this helps

Get your dad on board with you training :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can only echo the words above ..

I myself just got my first road bike, Yam Radian 600 , and it has just enough juice for now.

in fact I tend to scare the poo out of myself on this just hitting 55mph - its amazing how fast that seems

with cars around you sitting on a bike... Cornering is a bit of a learning process on a street bike too ..

not the same from riding dirt bikes. these guys are right... start small, learn what the bike does on the road

and how to handle the machine. You will have a lot of fun and live longer !!

imo I cant understand why someone would think about jumping on a bike and going 120 mph - you dont have time to think at that speed when something goes wrong.

Classes - find training classes - i took this one,, and I high Recommend this. if this isnt offered in your area

typical the DMV or local collages will offer similar ideas too. An i'd think taking safety classes will help with you dad.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

there is one final thought about going out and having an R1 as a first bike, where are you gonna get when you get bored of it? In the UK bike insurance is pretty dear for young pups, therefore people tend to start small and get to larger machines over a number of years. Its great because when you get bored of a machine you know you can upgrade for more kicks. if you start on an R1, where are you gonna go next? hayabusa, turbo, nitrous.....could get very silly, very quickly.

start smaller and build-up, you'll be a far better rider in the long run.

there is one final thought about going out and having an R1 as a first bike, where are you gonna get when you get bored of it? In the UK bike insurance is pretty dear for young pups, therefore people tend to start small and get to larger machines over a number of years. Its great because when you get bored of a machine you know you can upgrade for more kicks. if you start on an R1, where are you gonna go next? hayabusa, turbo, nitrous.....could get very silly, very quickly.

start smaller and build-up, you'll be a far better rider in the long run.

What you should always remember (and this is what your Dads worrying about) is that it does not matter how good a rider you are it is "them and us".

Were ever you ride a bike, in what ever part of the world riders are looked at as nusiances and targets. The faster you go ...... the more it hurts. Your Dads only moaning because he cares. He wants you to be safe and to come home at night.

Everything that everyone has said to you above is honesty. A 250 or 600 cc is plenty. I had a KH250 at 17 and enjoyed it just as much as any other bike I ever owned.

Start small....go big in time. Build up and have a goal. If you jump to an R1 then eventually when you want a change your stuck. Get as much training as you can and try to get your dad involved as much as possible.

Biking is not about speed. Its about enjoying it and being safe whilst enjoying it. I lost my best mate to the power of an R1 with a broken neck. He left a wife and a young daughter.

There is a lot of common sense spoken on this thread so please listen as its meant to help you stay alive.

What you should always remember (and this is what your Dads worrying about) is that it does not matter how good a rider you are it is "them and us".

Were ever you ride a bike, in what ever part of the world riders are looked at as nusiances and targets. The faster you go ...... the more it hurts. Your Dads only moaning because he cares. He wants you to be safe and to come home at night.

Everything that everyone has said to you above is honesty. A 250 or 600 cc is plenty. I had a KH250 at 17 and enjoyed it just as much as any other bike I ever owned.

Start small....go big in time. Build up and have a goal. If you jump to an R1 then eventually when you want a change your stuck. Get as much training as you can and try to get your dad involved as much as possible.

Biking is not about speed. Its about enjoying it and being safe whilst enjoying it. I lost my best mate to the power of an R1 with a broken neck. He left a wife and a young daughter.

There is a lot of common sense spoken on this thread so please listen as its meant to help you stay alive.

well said :)!!!!!!!!!!!

well said :)!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just passed my test in January this year and straight away rushed out like a bull and bought a R1 I though these were the mutts nuts.

I am now in a position where I have a bike I am Shxx scared of and every time I ride it I think the worst could happen.

These bike's are in sane but only now am I starting to realise that the bike will only go as fast as you want it to go.

Now! I am 38 years old and have over 20 years driving expereince and also a truck driver (hgv 1), Even with all this experience I would advise that you think very long and very hard about this type of bike.

When you do manage to get out on the road try and enjoy it instead of trying to keep up with everyone else you will enjoy riding the bike a lot more.

Hope this help's.

Paul

as far as it goes i did it the long way round

That lot spread over 20 years and with the benefit of all that, what am i buying next...................

A TDR250.

Personally i wouldn't give second hand spit for an R1. I know i could not ride it properly in any way in any place.

I have just passed my test in January this year and straight away rushed out like a bull and bought a R1 I though these were the mutts nuts.

I am now in a position where I have a bike I am Shxx scared of and every time I ride it I think the worst could happen.

im 31 , just passed the bike test a month ago ...

I got a Radian 600 and i feel this way on that bike !!! - given ive only been ride'n street for 2 weeks now,

but its nice to know im not alone here !!

:offtopic:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online