Quick clutch question.

rowland75
This post is 5434 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

My FZR hasnt been moved for a few weeks.

I dragged it out today and it started without too much fuss so I was very happy.

Kicked up the side stand... no problem.

Knocked it into first... clutch held in and it pulls forward.

Apply the brake.. its stalls.

It seems like the clutch is slipping slightly so when i brake to hold it stationary it cuts out.

Is this just because its been stood, or do I need to break out the tools?

Cheers Pete

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys

My FZR hasnt been moved for a few weeks.

I dragged it out today and it started without too much fuss so I was very happy.

Kicked up the side stand... no problem.

Knocked it into first... clutch held in and it pulls forward.

Apply the brake.. its stalls.

It seems like the clutch is slipping slightly so when i brake to hold it stationary it cuts out.

Is this just because its been stood, or do I need to break out the tools?

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete,

its just down to it being stood if you just put the bike into gear and ride the bike the clutch will sperate and work fine ... this is on the proviso that the bike is used quite bit. if you want to waste some oil you could drain the bike of oil & strip the clutch out & put it all back together... but tbh just give the bike a good run

Regards Jim

Hi Pete,

its just down to it being stood if you just put the bike into gear and ride the bike the clutch will sperate and work fine ... this is on the proviso that the bike is used quite bit. if you want to waste some oil you could drain the bike of oil & strip the clutch out & put it all back together... but tbh just give the bike a good run

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim.

Ive just been out to try and get it moving and it now wont engage 1st with out lurching forward and stalling. It does just seem like things are sticking as it hasnt moved for a few weeks... I dont use it much at all.

Do you think I should just keep persevering... warming it up and trying to select gears?

Cheers Pete

Thanks Jim.

Ive just been out to try and get it moving and it now wont engage 1st with out lurching forward and stalling.

Cheers Pete

rev it up a bit more in neutral, hold on and dump it into first.

dont redline it first off...as you will end up getting a reverse cowboy from your bike.

try 2k rpm (I assume it idles at 1500)

just keep reving it up a bit more each time. until you get it rolling.

or: you could "bump start" it.

get it rolling fast, downhill if possible, and with the ignition on, dump it into 2nd. then drive off.

rev it up a bit more in neutral, hold on and dump it into first.

dont redline it first off...as you will end up getting a reverse cowboy from your bike.

try 2k rpm (I assume it idles at 1500)

just keep reving it up a bit more each time. until you get it rolling.

or: you could "bump start" it.

get it rolling fast, downhill if possible, and with the ignition on, dump it into 2nd. then drive off.

Thanks Dave

I will persevere with more revs like you say.

I just know my neighbours are going to love me revving the b'llocks off it then ending up on my arse.. I will be hanging on very tight!

Cheers Pete

Quick question - Might the cable have stretched a bit?

If so, either adjusting it in and/or replacing the cable could be all that's needed.

Always check and replace the cheapest parts first!!!

If so, either adjusting it in and/or replacing the cable could be all that's needed.

good idea Ttm

I didnt even think of that.

That may well be the problem.... It is a fight to get the gears to select so I did think something like that at first, just thought it sounded daft as it was ok a few weeks ago when last ridden.

I will try and adjust it first, and change it if nec..

Cheers Pete

Afore you go so far as replacing it, unfasten the top end and pull it all the way, to make sure it's the cable at fault - It may not adjust in enough, y'see...

Make sense?

I just thought of this as it's now Summer and metal stuff can expand/stretch from whatever position you last had it in - ie back when it was colder.

Thanks Jim.

Ive just been out to try and get it moving and it now wont engage 1st with out lurching forward and stalling. It does just seem like things are sticking as it hasnt moved for a few weeks... I dont use it much at all.

Do you think I should just keep persevering... warming it up and trying to select gears?

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete,

get the rear wheel off the floor start the bike and engage top gear, tie the clutch lever to the handle bar and just keep dabbing the rear brake when the motor is warm enough the shock of the brake coming on will un seize the clutch

Regards Jim

Hi Pete,

get the rear wheel off the floor start the bike and engage top gear, tie the clutch lever to the handle bar and just keep dabbing the rear brake when the motor is warm enough the shock of the brake coming on will un seize the clutch

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim

I will give this a go.

Ive checked in Haynes and theres lots on changing the oil... would this help?

I had a bit of an early/senior moment and just realised its a hydraulic clutch so obviously no cable could have stretched...

or could it?

Cheers Pete

No cable, so no - Cable won't have stretched..... BUT -

The hydraulic hose rubber could have perished a bit. In short, when you pull the lever and put pressure through it, the rubber wall expands and bulges, meaning less pressure to operate the clutch.

Again, get it checked and if/when you have to replace it consider getting a braided one. They look better, anyway :)

Thanks Jim

I will give this a go.

Ive checked in Haynes and theres lots on changing the oil... would this help?

I had a bit of an early/senior moment and just realised its a hydraulic clutch so obviously no cable could have stretched...

or could it?

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete,

TBH changing the oil wont help at all !! I did pickup perhaps the bike has a fluid clutch cable and as pointed out perhaps the hose could have got a bit worse for wear ... but I would guess that is not likley. I would guess that the clutch has just siezed up .... worst one I ever had took about 2 hours to free (in your case I would not think that) and as long as the bike is run it will (the clutch) continue to work. What could be a good idea is to free the clutch and get the oil well hot then replace it then continue to use the bike...

Regards Jim

I had this problem with my old sv, the clutch plate was warped, so even in netural, it was never really out of gear and kept creeping forwards.

Rgds, Chris

Going from the symptoms described.... being that it only lurches and cuts out when I put it in gear; could it just be a sticky switch in kickstand?

I didnt check this, and being that it was stood for a few weeks it seems possible.

As soon as I can I will have a look and check.

Pete

Going from the symptoms described.... being that it only lurches and cuts out when I put it in gear; could it just be a sticky switch in kickstand?

I didnt check this, and being that it was stood for a few weeks it seems possible.

As soon as I can I will have a look and check.

Pete

Its definately the clutch plates.

Done some more reading and advised to start the bike and depress the clutch lever once the engine has warmed and hold it in for 30s or more. And select 2nd, depress the clutch and rock the bike untill the plates free.

More things to try...

Its definately the clutch plates.

Done some more reading and advised to start the bike and depress the clutch lever once the engine has warmed and hold it in for 30s or more. And select 2nd, depress the clutch and rock the bike untill the plates free.

More things to try...

Hi

which was exactly what I said !!! there are no more things to try !

Regards Jim

Hi

which was exactly what I said !!! there are no more things to try !

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim

I never doubted your advice, I just like to know every possible differential diagnosis before I tackle a problem.... in case it goes wrong.

Thank you again for all your advice.

Cheers Pete

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online