Another DT175 question

DirtyDT
This post is 5463 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Sorry but I am trying to pick the experts brains again on the forum.

Can I remove the oil pump side crank case without removing the oil pump? The oil pump screws are k*acke*d big time but so is the pipe from the pump to the carb. (The pipe that goes into the pressed in joint on the crank case) so I need to change this.

My postman has been busy delivering parts for the bike but I have only started it for 15 second (brought it as a non runner) and have never ridden it since I have owned it. I would like to make sure that it starts and runs ok so I can tick some jobs off my list.

It will be total rebuild eventually but not to original spec. It has not helped that it was brought not running with a leaking petrol tank, half an exhaust which didn't quite fit, an airbox which came in a box of parts with a knackered older style air filter, a blocked carb with a bent jet needle, and knackered electrics.

I love it. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

Sorry but I am trying to pick the experts brains again on the forum.

Can I remove the oil pump side crank case without removing the oil pump? The oil pump screws are k*acke*d big time but so is the pipe from the pump to the carb. (The pipe that goes into the pressed in joint on the crank case) so I need to change this.

My postman has been busy delivering parts for the bike but I have only started it for 15 second (brought it as a non runner) and have never ridden it since I have owned it. I would like to make sure that it starts and runs ok so I can tick some jobs off my list.

It will be total rebuild eventually but not to original spec. It has not helped that it was brought not running with a leaking petrol tank, half an exhaust which didn't quite fit, an airbox which came in a box of parts with a knackered older style air filter, a blocked carb with a bent jet needle, and knackered electrics.

I love it. :D

Yep just undo the screws and off she'll pop, ish.

The kickstart assy may come away slightly with the cover and that will go with a twang as the spring unloads if its in the mood but that is about it. The pump connects to a nylon gear that runs on the primary drive gear.

You WILL fug the gasket getting it off unless the last person to do it used plenty of grease as its very thin in places. There are 2 dowels to look out for. The rubbish screws will probably need some abuse too. Otherwise easy p.

If you get it at the right angle you don't even need to drop the oil. (don't forget tho.)

Cheers Cynic,

I have WD40'ed the sump plug and will change the oil anyway. I have a new gasket set in the post somewhere.

I don't want to start it not knowing how long the oil has been in there (It looks fresh) and not being sure that the 2 stroke oil is getting through. Have ordered the new oil pipes so they should be in the post too.

Cheers

Wrap a thin layer of insulation tape over the kickstarter shaft splines, this will protect the oil seal on removal and re-fitting the case. Also as Cynic mentioned, if you press the end of the shaft with you thumb as the case is being withdrawn, you will prevent the spring from detaching fron where it sits. The oil is usually quite clean as it doesnt get hot and is only in contact with transmission components.

Thanks OG.

I have been heavy on the WD40, tapping the screws and am going to heat today. They will come off!

Thanks OG.

I have been heavy on the WD40, tapping the screws and am going to heat today. They will come off!

That all depends on the condition of the screw heads and the fit of you screwdriver etc, you just might have to drill off the head (6mm drill) of any that wont undo, when the case is removed you will then be able to grip the screw shaft with some vise grips (mole) and remove them. I recommend you replace all screws with stainledss allen screws, Cynic recently bought some from TY Trials and recommended then as good people to do business with.

Hi OG,

I did the old trick of making a groove with a flat head screwdriver and then using the groove to hit the screws around, this morning. a couple of days of WD and as soon as they had moved a quarter turn I gave them loads more WD. They are out now and will be replaced with Allen key stainless. I have wd'ed the threads in the casing and ran a bolt in to spread the lube. The casing is still on the bike at the moment.

I have seen TY on Hbay but have not ordered anything from them at the moment. They are not too far from me. Apparently there is a place in Loughborough where they will match individual bolts etc. My mate gets his stuff there for his Thundercat. I am thinking of buying a mixed Stainless Allen type pack from Hbay as a start.

I have made sure the casing allen key's all a free, which they are but the sump plug is seezed on. 2 days of WD so far. My other half seems to have hidden my long breaker bar so I have ordered another.

As for the original bolts on the oil pump, 2 pictures below. Take a look at the pump bleed screw which is still fitted to the pump. I had to use mole grips to undo this when I primed the pump. I think I should change this also :huh:

oil2.jpg

oil1.jpg

holy cow the bloke befor you dident know how to use a screw driver lol :P

i would love to buy a bike that dident run then fix it but dont have the cash :(

holy cow the bloke befor you dident know how to use a screw driver lol :P

i would love to buy a bike that didn't run then fix it but dont have the cash :(

I think the bike was owned by a gorilla. Not a problem as it add's to the frustration fun!

I have been looking for an old trails bike with a log book (V5) for ages. I even looked at BSA trials but too much dosh. Trust me building and working out what goes where (with forum help) is great, loads of grins even when you hit problems. When you have done what you wanted the satisfaction is huge. But, and it is a big but, it eats cash. As soon as you discover you need to replace something and order it, there is something behind it that needs replacing as well. I have spent £300 this week alone and it did not buy much. Mind you it did include a new full exhaust which is somewhere in the post.

wooo thats a hefty price lol i think i would find one with a exhaust :) just to cut down the costs

but yeh it looks like fun and good luck

I have to ask, why take the pump off?

i would love to buy a bike that dident run then fix it but dont have the cash :(

thers some nice Jawas about that are in need of some TLC :P

the bleed screw on my DT is also pretty f*cked but not to such an extent as yours!, most of my casing screws were also rounded off so it seems to be a common problem.

stainless allen screws are the way forward, i even started putting them on my Jawa as most of the original bolt sheared off anyway

best of luck getting it to run though :P

a JAWA never heard on them befor obviously not verry good then :rolleyes: joking foamy but still to expensif lol can you get any thing for £60 ?? lol

and yeh rounded bots/screws are a pain in the ass my dads exhaust clamp bolt rounded as i was trying to get it off so had to use a saw blade and slice through it in the midle of the bolt then wrech the bit in the thread out with my monkey pliors now i have noce big heded bolt on there so i can get more leverage with a the socket set (was to small to use it with original bolt)

Hi Cynic,

Err.....because after 3 day's I could. I just wanted to be thorough. I can get the gasket changed (when they arrive) and I wanted to free up the bolts just in case so I thought I may as well change them. So off they came. Maybe I am getting too anal with it.

thers some nice Jawas about that are in need of some TLC :P

the bleed screw on my DT is also pretty f*cked but not to such an extent as yours!, most of my casing screws were also rounded off so it seems to be a common problem.

stainless allen screws are the way forward, i even started putting them on my Jawa as most of the original bolt sheared off anyway

best of luck getting it to run though :P

Maybe one for the future. I seem to remember they make pinging noises and some had a cup in the fuel cap so you can measure the 2 stroke for the mix. Maybe that was CZ/MZ's, I can't remember!!

Maybe one for the future. I seem to remember they make pinging noises and some had a cup in the fuel cap so you can measure the 2 stroke for the mix. Maybe that was CZ/MZ's, I can't remember!!

Naah it wasnt for that, There is also a flute in the toolkit, when you break down you just sit down place the cup in front of you and get playing, If youre any good you soon have the bus fare home... ;)

Naah it wasnt for that, There is also a flute in the toolkit, when you break down you just sit down place the cup in front of you and get playing, If youre any good you soon have the bus fare home... ;)

Ha ha :lol: I thought that they went such small distances without breaking down, you could still see your house so you could walk home. Ops

Is that how you 'tune up' a Jawa then.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online