Continue Riding or Quit?

Bilbo515
This post is 5480 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been biking without much incident for the past seven years, passed my test and spent 4 years on a ZXR400, then traded up to a CBR600 and most recently a YZF750R.

I ride my bike every day to work, 3 miles there, 3 back, in every weather, apart from heavy snow. When the summer comes I do the occasional evening / weekend ride.

My mileage is about 3,000 per year.

On 1st April on my usual commute home on my CBR, I was wiped out by a car driver at low speed (25mph) who wasn't looking when turning right / changing lane. The CBR was written off.

I was given an 07 plate Bandit 600 as a courtesy bike (fully comp on insurance) and in the second week of riding the Bandit, I stopped at some traffic lights on the way to work, however the car behind me didn't and took me out, the Bandit suffered minor damage and me some heavy whiplash.

Anyway not deterred, another Bandit was delivered, my work colleagues telling me it was a sign and to stop riding, third time unlucky etc. I thought, bollocks to that and was now riding just a little more cautiously as my confidence had been knocked.

My insurance money came through and I bought a YZF750R (£1400), what a mint bike (when it started), everything was now perfect, until Sunday 2nd May................

I went for a ride to Sherburn-in-Elmet, good ride too, then about a mile from home in a residential street doing about 25-30mph in dry conditions, I saw a parked car on the side of the road, moved out to pass it (about 600 yards away) and saw another car coming my way, so backed off the throttle and moved back towards my side of the road, applied a little front brake - wallop!!

Front end disappeared like I had hit ice, the bike shot off down the road, me behind it.

I picked the bike up and thought f*ck this, I'm quitting, thoroughly peed off, three crashes in a month - what's going on!?!?

I walked home pushing the bike (no clutch lever or gear selector) thinking that's it, no more. Got home, the wife agreed as did the kids, get rid and get a car. I agreed too.

Then looking at the bike later when I had calmed down, the damage is minimal to the fairing, clutch and gear selector missing, indicator missing - this might not be written off! Mmmm.

The bike was collected today by the insurance company, marked low risk.

I've told my wife if it is written off I am getting a car. However I'm thinking it may be repaired, then what do I do?

Continue riding to work everyday or sell it and get a car?

I love bikes, but this recent spate of events has really given my confidence a kicking and I don't know what to do next, 7 years of easy fun filled riding, then 4 weeks of sheer hell!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

after 7 years of incident free riding, I'm not doubting your skills.

however, its your confidence that had been severly bruised. perhaps (and I say this nicely) you should take an on bike riders safety course.

the reason i say this (before you get testy) is that your insurance company may like the idea and give you a bit of a discount. also, its a good way to brush up on things you may have at the back of your mind.

not to mention that seeing all the noobs all wobbly will make you feel more skilled almost immediately. and it may calm the wife down a bit ;)

My dad had 4 bikes when I was growing up, he totalled 4 bikes when I was growing up. all within 7 years.

all of them in parking lots. 3 of them while he was parked but on the bike. people just didnt see him when they whipped into parking spots. from his hard lessons I learned to park my bike crosswise across the entrance to the parking spot, as opposed to nose in at the head.

this story, is to point out that sometimes its not the riders skill that is in question, its the rest of the worlds abilities.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Nice one - thanks for that.

I've been thinking about doing an Advanced Riders Course if I get the bike back. If it is written off, will probably get a car for a few years, then get a new bike, when the kids are older.

Apparently I will find out on Friday if the bike is to be written off repaired - will keep the post updated.

I love bikes, but this recent spate of events has really given my confidence a kicking and I don't know what to do next, 7 years of easy fun filled riding, then 4 weeks of sheer hell!!

after 7 years of incident free riding, I'm not doubting your skills.

however, its your confidence that had been severly bruised. perhaps (and I say this nicely) you should take an on bike riders safety course.

I would agree with that.

Don't know where you live, but check out the BikeSafe courses run by the Police. With what you've said in your post I would suggest that one or two of those accidents are avoidable with the right training. You should also get a discount on your insurance of around 10% when you've completed them.

You can also look at the IAM 'Skill for Live Course', details are all on the website www.iam.org.uk, had you signed up last week it would have cost you £109, but now it's up to £139. For this you get Advanced Training on all aspects of your riding, it will restore your confidence and give you some leverage with your Wife / Kids. You will learn how you can avoid what appear to be unavoidable accidents - honestly. You will find your speed will reduce, but you will get to your destination just as quick.

Get yourself a copy of Roadcraft for Motorcycles ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Roadcra...779&sr=8-2) to sharpen up on your observation and planning skills. This is the cornerstone of the Police Motorcycle Advanced Riding Course.

Training is the key to rebuilding your confidence - but you need to get back on the bike and ride it!

Heya Bilbo...

Firstly - LOVE your avatar, dude!!!

Secondly - It's a tough decision... One only you can answer.

You can be the best rider in the world and still come a cropper due to someone else's fuckwittery... For this reason, a friend of mine recently sold his VFR 800 after the third crash on it. He's been riding for the best part of 15 years.

However, his other half just knows he'll be getting another one in a year or so.

Even I have moments when I really wish I had a four-wheeler - Usually when it's cold and pissing down :)

Biking is a way of life and with risks that must be accepted. You can still die or be horribly injured in a car.

Certainly extra training to re-hone those skills is a good start.

Maybe give it a short break and then see how you feel?

Good luck with your decision, mate!!

i would say keep at it and do the advanced riding test they make you do all sorts of stuf to get you out of troble i have to say you will get off the bike for a year then get the urge to get one agan so i would say just stick with it and get more and more experiance as you go along after all you never stop learning :)

the reason I stick with classic bikes is that they are a hobby and although I use my car for commuting ( shitty m60 at whitefield and death valley) I manage to combine both reasonably well.

winters gets me rebuilding/messing/talking bikes so I'm still in touch and my friends basically do the same!!

so I'm out on the bike when the weather is good and in the car when its shit!!

Thanks for all the positive replies.

Totally agree it's a way of life and as my bruising is now starting to subside, I'm wanting to get back on two wheels again.

Definatley going to book myself on the IAM course suggested and get some additional training.

Let's hope it's positive news from the insurers.

What an unfortunate spate of events matey...sorry for your recent run in... :( dont worry, it will pass... :hug2: here...have a white rabbit for luck :bunny2:

From the sounds of it I think you really dont wanna kick it in the head after all this time....but totally understand the confidence knock. As the others have said, mot deffo try the available courses to rekindle and refresh...

:luck: best of luck to ya!

Thats a real shame but you should put this behind you, it has taken me ages to learn to ride on the road as the cars terrify me !! But I have kept at it and Im now really enjoying it and gaining confidence , obviously I prefer the off roading to on road as there are usually no cars around , just trees !

Dont let the buggers win , good luck !! ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online