New motorbike test

mr-c
This post is 5494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there, im quite new to biking and this forum. I passed my CBT a few weeks ago looking to insure myself on a 07 YBR, i am still in the process of looking for sensibly priced insurance!

Im now thinking of taking my full test but it has just changed. Does anyone know any details of the new test?

Ive had a look at the DSA website and its not all that clear, ive heard that the new restriction will be 44bhp for 4 years and that i wont have to take a theory/hazard test as i already have a full car test under my belt.

Is any of that true?

Any help much appreciated guys.

CJ

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The new motorcycle test

The decision regarding the recent consultation to introduce the new test in modular format was announced by Jim Fitzpatrick MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State Department for Transport, on 29 January. The key points are:

New motorcycle test to be split into 2 parts

Increased number of service delivery points

New test can be booked from 30 March 2009 at the latest

Testing to commence on Monday 27 April

The new motorcycle test aims to improve the standard of road safety for motorcycle and moped riders. This user group has been identified as having a high risk of injury or death, this is particularly the case for young and inexperienced riders.

The new test will be completed in two modules. The specified manoeuvres conducted at specific speeds will be tested in Module 1 on safe off-road sites and take on average 22 minutes.

These specified manoeuvres are:

At least two manoeuvres carried out at slow speed, including a slalom

At least two manoeuvres carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 30 km/h (approx. 19 mph) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

At least two braking manoeuvres, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

On the day of the Module 1 test, candidates will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate their riding ability on either the left-hand or right-hand circuit. Please note that the standard off-road layout may change due to local conditions on the casual sites.

Click here to see the standard layout of the left and right-hand circuts.

Click here to see the standard layout including measurements.

Those candidates who have demonstrated riding skills of a dangerously incompetent level during Module 1 will not be permitted to take Module 2.

Those candidates who have passed Module 1 will receive a Test Pass Certificate which they must bring with them when they take Module 2.

Module 2 of the test will be about 57 minutes in length and will consist of the eyesight test, road safety questions and at least 30 minutes of road riding. consisting of a road ride covering a variety of road and traffic conditions and will also include normal stops, hill and angle starts.

I bet the bloody car test is never that exhaustive.

We have more injuries cos we don't have a metal box round us and the less experienced get walloped more cos they can't see the hazards untill its too late for them. The fact that the greater part of these hazards are CAUSED by the miopic wan#ers in their metal boxes seems to be lost.

can i still ride my Jawa 350 at 17? :D

I think so mate as long as you have already done your A2 test and its under 33bhp (or Kw can never remember which!)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know then if the power restriction has been raised or if i have to do a theory test if i already have done a recent car one with hazard perception?

Anyone know then if the power restriction has been raised or if i have to do a theory test if i already have done a recent car one with hazard perception?

i have been told that it has been raised to 44bhp by my instructor im doing the new test one the 6th may

erm, so its pretty much a CBT but a bit more advanced? it seems to be very practical-based so is assuming there still a theory test? (apart from the eyesight test and road safety questions, see Goffs post)

if the bikes only need to be restricted to 44bhp, i can buy a bigger jawa :D

erm, so its pretty much a CBT but a bit more advanced? it seems to be very practical-based so is assuming there still a theory test? (apart from the eyesight test and road safety questions, see Goffs post)

if the bikes only need to be restricted to 44bhp, i can buy a bigger jawa :D

Thats y im glad i got the MT-03 only produces 45bhp so no restriction of me :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online