DT175 front sprocket size problem! will I rip my left leg off?

Rapco
This post is 5468 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

i just bough a pair of front sprocket for my 1976 dt175 on ebay but there seem's to be a problem: The sprocket is not as thick as the original, or as thick as the rear sprocket(that i also bought on ebay from another vendor). I suppose the sprocket will fit on the shaft but is it going to be ok with the chain?? I should ride a 428 size chain as original... Will my front sprocket just use prematurely or will it break? or will my chain break because of a smaller pressure point? there is a slack from side to side, is there chance that the chain skip out? Even the teeth seems(ARE) not as high... as you can see in these...

DSC03872.jpg

DSC03873.jpg

DSC03874-1.jpg

the new front sprocket thickness is less a bit less (by 1/32) than 1/4" and the rear sprocket original size is thicket by 1/32 than 1/4", which mean there is 1/16 of difference. is this to much? I also forgot to ask, will the front and the rear mis-aligned?

soooo, please help me! thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry mate but as far as i'm concern'd a dodgy chain and sprocket set can be potentially lethal. Damaging your bike hurting you or worse, if it jumped or broke and locked the rear at speed. I have experienced an iffy chain snapping and i will never skimp on a chain again.

Sorry i buy chain and sprocket sets or at least known components if i'm changing the gearing, fit them as one and chuck em as one.

So if you are asking me bin it, and buy a proper set.

Sorry mate but as far as i'm concern'd a dodgy chain and sprocket set can be potentially lethal. Damaging your bike hurting you or worse, if it jumped or broke and locked the rear at speed. I have experienced an iffy chain snapping and i will never skimp on a chain again.

Sorry i buy chain and sprocket sets or at least known components if i'm changing the gearing, fit them as one and chuck em as one.

so you say i should get a good front sprocket? Since i dont find some on ebay, i will then be using my old one which is not that bad. I will follow your advice and I wont use the pair i just received. The problem on ebay is that all sprocket that could fit my bike are no the good number of teeth. Instead of the original 15-16 its 12-13 which is wayyy tooooo looooow!

thats about it.

If any of you have any other adive, or know other model that should have the same sprocket(i know the yz80 should)

thanks,

ps: i got full refund for the pair that didnt fit! great seller!

so you say i should get a good front sprocket? Since i dont find some on ebay, i will then be using my old one which is not that bad. I will follow your advice and I wont use the pair i just received. The problem on ebay is that all sprocket that could fit my bike are no the good number of teeth. Instead of the original 15-16 its 12-13 which is wayyy tooooo looooow!

thats about it.

If any of you have any other adive, or know other model that should have the same sprocket(i know the yz80 should)

thanks,

ps: i got full refund for the pair that didnt fit! great seller!

A place that has been very helpful to me lately is TYtrials their business is restoring DT's and TY's.

The correct sprockets for your bike in either 15T or 16T are still avaliable from Yamaha.

• 1 month later...

The correct sprockets for your bike in either 15T or 16T are still avaliable from Yamaha.

do you know what is the part number of the front sprocket or do you know how i could get it?

because i doubt they will know for a 25+ years old bike.

thanks

Rapco

yeah i just experienced that last week with a fried. We were riding both on a puch maxi at 55kmh when the chain exploded. It locked the rear wheel and sent us drifting for at leat 25 feet. We were not hurt, but it was a hell of a ride back home. Because we drifted sideway, the tire got out of the rim. yeah no shit. Dont want that to happen to me on my dt a 100+kph in the fields.

thanks for the advice, even do i had to experiment it before !

Rapco

rapco, that must have been pretty scary. but.... isnt that what you get for trying to fit 2 people on a puch? :D

"the only thing worse that having to ride a moped, is having to ride bi*ch on a moped" :rolleyes:

but than again that was back in the 70's before they became classic vintage material.

no offense meant to you or other scooter rider/owners

keep me posted about your sprocket search, since I will be needing one some day. it will be good to have a head start.

Ahh Rapco will ride anything...even a

JAWA :lol:

oh yeah jawa power! or not! well its pretty nice, planning on restoring it this summer:

]Video of my jawa and me riding it past summer with a blown head gasket!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO51LRvwnnA

jawa

Notice the family is smoke like 3 times passing by!

and the by the way, puch mopeds are the best around. They have bullet-proof engine and more than solid frame.

but yeah the crash was pretty lethal. The front suspension got locked from it...

haha!

still no one that know how to have the number for the part?!

Rapco!

Leave Jawas alone, OG... lest i come flying past you when you on your DT and decide to smoke you like a kipper :P

i love my 350 to bits, yes its made from old tractor parts and kitchen utensils, but its mine, nobody else has one like it, its my second bike, something i can tinker with, take apart and learn about... and cheaper to insure than my little DT50! if i throw it down the road it doesnt really matter.

Its the point about the insurance being LESS than the DT I like..... :lol:

does any-one know where to find a good 1976 dt175 manual.

i just bought new clutch plates for it and i would like to know some specs like how much torque should i put on the springs and whats the length they should be.

Thanks

Rapco Rider!

ps: and about the sprocket, still no one knows?

oh yeah and is the 1974 75 and 76 clutch plates the same? i think so but are they?

and how do i know if my bike is a 74 75 or 76? I always assumed it was 76 but i just doubt of it.

thanks again!

Rapco

oh yeah and is the 1974 75 and 76 clutch plates the same? i think so but are they?

and how do i know if my bike is a 74 75 or 76? I always assumed it was 76 but i just doubt of it.

thanks again!

Rapco

Yes the clutch is the same for all 3 years. With the spring free length 36.4mm service limit 35.4mm.

Fr no CT1 300004 on 1973-1976 if its a uk bikewith 1G1 000101 taking over in 1976 -78. As for telling the difference on a uk bike its down to the colours as far as i understand and possibly the registration ;) .

The US stuff would be 443-000101 (74) Dt175A

.................................443-100101 (75) Dt175B

.................................559-000101 (76) Dt 175C

There were no DT 125/75 imports to the states in 77

I gave you both as you havent put your location on your profile.

Yes the clutch is the same for all 3 years. With the spring free length 36.4mm service limit 35.4mm.

Fr no CT1 300004 on 1973-1976 if its a uk bikewith 1G1 000101 taking over in 1976 -78. As for telling the difference on a uk bike its down to the colours as far as i understand and possibly the registration ;) .

The US stuff would be 443-000101 (74) Dt175A

.................................443-100101 (75) Dt175B

.................................559-000101 (76) Dt 175C

There were no DT 125/75 imports to the states in 77

I gave you both as you havent put your location on your profile.

thanks alot! i live in canda, so guess the same as usa! but the number you gave me is the number for the sprocket or for the clutch?

thanks

Rapco!

thanks alot! i live in canda, so guess the same as usa! but the number you gave me is the number for the sprocket or for the clutch?

thanks

Rapco!

The numbers i quoted are to id which bike you have.

The part no at cmsl is 9382214043, thats a 14 tooth front sprocket.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online