touring

DJ Rusty
This post is 5580 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Going to France in May with a firm called `British Bike Tours`, going to the `Bridge in the Sky` tour. and because this is my first time abroad on the bike..FZ2 600, going with a mate as well, we chose to go on an organised tour first. My reason for this thread is that i would like any feed back from any bikers who have been to France, even to the Bridge in the Sky tour, on advice of what to take on these tours? books to get maybe, places to visit, tips on anything really.

I think that if it all goes so well in May we will try on our own to do another trip, so any feed back greatly appreciated please!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A few things you will need to take:

Bulb & Fuse Kit (a legal requirement on the continent)

First Aid Kit (a common sense requirement)

Spare fuel in a can or two (fuel stations in France are few and far between and most kick up a fuss if you try and use an English credit or debit card, plus they are unmanned so you cannot pay cash). I usually carry two or three 500ml jerry cans.

Tyre Weld and/or mushroom repair kit (Last thing you need is to be calling 'Le AA' unless you can pinpoint exactly where you are)

Spare Throttle & Clutch cables (trying to source parts in France can be a nightmare)

A small tool kit - small screwdrivers, spanners, electrical tape, C spanner, cable ties (never underestimate the importance of elec tape and cable ties :D)

Plenty of Visor Cleaner and cloths (I use Shell foaming aerosol Visor Spray, truly wonderful stuff)

Emergency mobile phone charger (I have one that is powered by 4 AAA batteries and it really is a godsend)

Barclaycard (I have found that this is the only credit card that works in the continent, well most of the time)

Apart from that, you really must make sure you have fully comprehensive health cover for your trip as there is no NHS in France so everything will have to be paid for before they let you leave the hospital. Make sure your credit card has plenty of room on it just in case.

sky2.jpg

Called there in 2006, we did a 3500 mile 3 week tour around France, the wife on her Fazer600 and me on the Fazer thou, I don`t know about organised tours, but would think that they will have all the main places to visit planed for you,they should aready have told you what docs you will need to take as well, we always carry a tyre pluging kit,spare bulbs, small tool kit, bit of tape and cable ties,also a small can of chain lube !! as for clothes pack the least possible, if you think you need 5 T shirts, pack 3, we have never yet used all the clothes we have taken and every year we take less !

As madison,, also make sure you get your European Health Insurance Card, (E111) this is free.

We also take out recovery insurance from Euro Rescue but the AA, RAC, and NCI also do recovery as well.

A law concerning the compulsory carrying of a reflective jacket (EN471) and a warning triangle

(ECE R27) in France came into force on 1st July 2008. However, this regulation will not be

enforceable with on-the-spot fines until 1st October 2008, when the fine will be between 90 and

135 Euros.

The French Road Safety Department has now confirmed that:

From 1st October 2008 all drivers in France, including drivers of vehicles registered

outside of France, must have one warning triangle and one reflective jacket in their

vehicle. This does not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles.

Motorcycles: Use of dipped headlights during the day compulsory. The wearing of crash

helmets is compulsory for both driver and passenger of any two-wheel motorised vehicle.

French Road Signs have a look here, quite interesting.

Speed limits: Standard legal limits, which may be varied by signs, for private vehicles without

trailers. In built-up areas 31 mph (50 km/h), outside built-up areas 55 mph (90 km/h), but 68 mph

(110 km/h) on urban motorways and dual carriageways separated by a central reservation and 80

mph (130 km/h) on motorways. Lower speed limits of 49 mph (80 km/h) outside built-up areas, 62

mph (100 km/h) on dual carriageways and 68 mph (110 km/h) on motorways apply in wet

weather and to visiting motorists who have held a driving licence for less than two years.

Additionally, speed limits are reduced on stretches of motorways in built up areas. Minimum

speed limit on motorways 49mph (80km/h).

It is compulsory to carry a driving licence, bike registration papers (Carte Grise) and insurance documents. (These must be the original documents; keep copies separately.)

I knew there was something I didn't put on my list - Chain Lube! DOH!

Last time I toured it was on a shafty (FJR), so you will have to excuse my oversight :D

Hi all,

Going to France in May with a firm called `British Bike Tours`, going to the `Bridge in the Sky` tour. and because this is my first time abroad on the bike..FZ2 600, going with a mate as well, we chose to go on an organised tour first. My reason for this thread is that i would like any feed back from any bikers who have been to France, even to the Bridge in the Sky tour, on advice of what to take on these tours? books to get maybe, places to visit, tips on anything really.

I think that if it all goes so well in May we will try on our own to do another trip, so any feed back greatly appreciated please!

I cover all of Europe last year, and did a run down to Gib in the spring, so I'm fairly comfortable with the whole riding abroad thing. So, here's some sound advice:

First of all, legal requirements,

For France you must have (and will be fined if you're stopped and don't have it);

Hi Vis vest - keep it somewhere easy to get at, or wear it!. Make ssure you put it on if your stopped on the Autoroutes before getting off the bike.

First Aid Kit - you must have one, but I can't find anywhere that specifies the contents. I use a fairly comprehensive one - think about the thinks you need, then consider basic first aid stuff, and put in some trauma stuff too - only if you know how to use it though, otherwise it's just taking up space.

Bulb kit, you can pick these up from most bike stores in a protective case.

Warning triangle, OK this is a pain as they're huge, but Hien Gericke do sell a helmet cover that doubles up as a warning triangle, costs about a £5, packs down to the size of a cream egg. They also do a first aid/bulb kit that fits behind your number plate.

Spares, never bother with them. Take a kit, tire repair is a good one (as long as you have plenty of canisters, three isn't enough) if you know how to use it, if not don't bother. Make sure you have good European cover, some insurance policies have this (Carol Nash), or join the RAC / AA and get the extra cover. It comes in two regions, pretty much east or west Europe. They will repair, or repatriate you depending on what's gone wrong.

Tools, think about what you might need, then think if you can double up on things. Remember - Duck Tape and Cable Ties hold the world together. Don't take what you don't need, or don't know how to use. You want to travel as lite as you can.

Petrol is available more easily in the continent than in the UK - honestly, in 24 countries the only one I had trouble finding a filling station was the UK (Newcastle, straight off the ferry), other than that Bulgaria is a bit funny as the Credit Card hasn't proliferated the countryside yet! ATM's can be a bit hit and miss too. Anyway France, it's not the back and beyoned, it's a well presented country and you'll find everything you need (unless your on some wayward trail) very easily. I wouldn't bother with spare fuel, or a can - just know when you need to fill up and plan accordingly. If you are worried, get a MSR fuel bottle form a walking shop and put a litre of fuel in it just in case. Consider that 1litre of liquid is 1Kg in wieght.

Cash & Credit, Take some Euro's, but get them out of an ATM over there (the exchange rate is better as the banks work on the international exchange rates rather than the 'public' stuff you get over the counter) and two credit cards. Keep two wallets, one safe inside your jacket, and another in an easily accessable (waterproof) pocket. Use one as your 'day' wallet, the other never comes out except when you wish to top up the cash in the other. One credit cards goes in each. If you are mugged (and it does happen, not often but better safe) give up your day one.

Now the craps out of the way, you need to enjoy yourself.

Pack your clothes light, thin layers are best. You can put more on when it gets cold, strip off when it's hot. Make sure you have the right underwear. Get some seamless shorts/undies/boxers as these will help you stay in the saddle without getting numb-bum, breathable ones are prefferable, as is good quality breathable baselayer tee-shirts, remember go thin, you can alway put more on.

Get some Anti-bac spray from any good walking shop, spray this on all your clothes except your boxers! It will stop you smelling like a pig, and means you can take less with you.

Waterproofs, France in April is as wet as you get, if this spills over into May then you aren't going to have a good time. Get some good waterproofs, take a couple of pairs of gloves and make sure you proof them before you go. When they get wet, you get cold.

Visor - fog city is the way to go, get one in and make sure it works OK. If pinlock is your thing then it works nearly as well (I've got both), forget the sprays and wipe that are supposed to stop the thing from misting, as soon as the water get's in these are useless.

French drivers are a relief from riding over here, look out for other riders they will give a flick of the leg as they pass, it's like the hand wave over here. You'l have no problems with cars, bikes or trucks. Riding on the wrong side is often a cause for an dbit of though, but to be honest I find riding on the right more natural, you'll be with another group so it shouldn't cause any problems. However when you're tired, take care at junctions as you may find you turn into the wrong side of the road!! And when you get back to the UK take extra care to move back over the left.

You are on an organised tour, so most things will be catered for, just enjoy the ride.

When you get back, and you are looking at another trip, you'll already know what you used, what you need and roughly what you want - go for it.

I've written a fair bit of stuff up on my website about this sort of thing. I've been so busy I've not updated it with my European trip last year, but there's still lots of stuff on there, although it is aimed at the more adventerous rider you should be able to pick some stuff up.

www.smokingtailpipes.com

Have a blast!!

A few things you will need to take:

Bulb & Fuse Kit (a legal requirement on the continent)

First Aid Kit (a common sense requirement)

Spare fuel in a can or two (fuel stations in France are few and far between and most kick up a fuss if you try and use an English credit or debit card, plus they are unmanned so you cannot pay cash). I usually carry two or three 500ml jerry cans.

Tyre Weld and/or mushroom repair kit (Last thing you need is to be calling 'Le AA' unless you can pinpoint exactly where you are)

Spare Throttle & Clutch cables (trying to source parts in France can be a nightmare)

A small tool kit - small screwdrivers, spanners, electrical tape, C spanner, cable ties (never underestimate the importance of elec tape and cable ties :D)

Plenty of Visor Cleaner and cloths (I use Shell foaming aerosol Visor Spray, truly wonderful stuff)

Emergency mobile phone charger (I have one that is powered by 4 AAA batteries and it really is a godsend)

Barclaycard (I have found that this is the only credit card that works in the continent, well most of the time)

Apart from that, you really must make sure you have fully comprehensive health cover for your trip as there is no NHS in France so everything will have to be paid for before they let you leave the hospital. Make sure your credit card has plenty of room on it just in case.

with the healthcare thing make sure you have EHIC, it replaced the E111. You should still get decent insurance, but it provide cover under the 'reciprocal agreement'.

Ive always travelled with lots of spare carrier bags and bin liners. great as an additional waterproof layer and for bagging stuff up. pulled tight can be used as 'rope'. Remember a decent tape to protect plastics, do make shift repairs etc (a small roll of insulation tape is good).

Consider a pocket phrase book.

Not everyone will (or will choose to) speak English.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online