Want to tour

Lew
This post is 5629 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I am intending to do a bit of touring next summer, heading down south of France, Carcassonne region, have a wee house there just of the D118 heading out of Limoux.

Okay enough of the bull.

Current bike is a 06 model Fazer abs, I am thinking of replacing it as I think running around from Northwest England to south of France a few times a year might be a bit hard on a 600 motor, Obvously I like the Yamaha brand , any ideas as to what would make a good replacement bearing in mind I am looking for something fully faired, topbox and panniers.

I spotted a beauty 05 plated FZ1 fully faired but was put off as I was told these have problems with the fuel injection system. I have a budget of around 5K.

Cheers Lew

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

For the type of riding you're talking about I think an FJR1300 would be a perfect bike. Not sure how long they've been out (since I wasn't paying attention to Yamaha for a while), so not sure if there's any available in your price range used or not.

my $0.02, id be looking at something shaft drive as just a couple of trips could do a chain, and it means you dont have to adjust it etc. id want something which has a range of luggage readily available and most importantly is reliable. Maybe a BMW twin tourer?

engine capacity isnt the issue, comfort, practically and reliability are vital

my $0.02, id be looking at something shaft drive as just a couple of trips could do a chain, and it means you dont have to adjust it etc. id want something which has a range of luggage readily available and most importantly is reliable. Maybe a BMW twin tourer?

True,

I was just suggesting something sport touring from Yamaha's lineup, with this being "Yamaha Owners" site and his current bike being a Fazer and his mentioning the FZ1 all lol.

My dad called me one day last June, and asked me to find him a good midsize cruiser. He's currently living in Los Angels (only place he could find a decent paying job), but has a house right across the street from me in Oregon (where we don't have to pay sales tax). His last bike was a 1200cc Venture Royale that he sold about 20 years ago, so he knew how to ride already, but knew nothing about the newer bikes since he'd been away from the bike scene for so long. He also told me he didn't care which brand it was, as long as it was from the big 4, cost no more than $7k, and fit his riding needs.

I did some reasearch online, reading everything I could find as far as road tests, specs and reviews on all of the midsize cruisers from the big 4. His main concern was that he rides around 120 miles/day back round trip to work, so he needed good economy. Options available were the Kawasaki 900 Vulcan, the Honda 750, the Yamaha 650, and the Suzuki C50(800). He didn't need the largest fastest bike available, but since he rides in Los Angeles traffic, he still needed enough power for the bike to be able to get out of it's own way at cruising speeds. He also rides 2 up with a carpooling friend from work on the back, so total weight between rider and passenger is probably close to 425-450lbs. I also wanted it to be fuel injected since he travels back and forth from around 150' elevation all the way up to 6000'+ elevation, whenever he makes the 1600 mile round trip back to Oregon to visit my mom, making carbs a potential hassle.

"IF" sticking to a high performance Yamaha wasn't a serious priority, a cruiser would be a lot more comfortable on cross country trips. The Suzuki C50T is an 800cc fuel injected twin (smallest twin from any of the big 4 that is injected in the US) that gets right around 55mpg-60mpg if ridden reasonably. It's the only midsize cruiser from the big 4 that has shaft drive (everyone else uses belt drive), and comes with saddle bags, running boards, and a large windshield that does a good job of blocking the wind on long rides. They handle very good for a cruiser, and feel much lighter than the specs would indicate, due to the weight being carried so low in the frame. The extra cost for the C50T over the regular C50 model is about $500 less than it would cost to buy the base model then add all the extra touring accessories to it. I've read magazine tests on it that say the midsize cruisers actually make better long distance bikes than their larger counterparts, because they are lighter, get better mileage, and are easier to handle. About the only thing you would probably want to add to the C50T would be possibly larger bags (or a large trunk), and a Corbin or similar aftermarket seat. The stock seats look good, but are pretty stiff when new, not sure how they feel once they get broken in, as I haven't ridden my dad's since he's had a chance to get some miles on it, I only rode it home from the dealership for him since he was out of town when my mother paid for it. I believe we ended up paying right at $6500 USD for his brand new with 0 miles ( I had to wait for them to fill and charge the battery before I could ride it home), and a free full face helmet thrown in to seal the deal. If you could find one used, it would possibly be in your 5k price range.

For the type of riding you're talking about I think an FJR1300 would be a perfect bike. Not sure how long they've been out (since I wasn't paying attention to Yamaha for a while), so not sure if there's any available in your price range used or not.

Hi, Thanks for taking timeout to answer, I was at the NEC Carole Nash bike show yesterday and had a look at the FJR 1300's , cracking bike, but BIG. Had a chat to the Yamaha reps and as it is France I will be tooing and frowing he tells me in France the TDM 900 is king. Had sit on one and felt comfy,described as Ultra -versitle all rounder, can get panniers, good deals on them here in the UK. Also had a look at the FZ1, there are packages available for these so is also a good option. Admittedly they are a bit up and down the gearbox around town, but on the Route Nationale or Auto Routes they should run all day. I was asking the Rep if they had sorted the fuel management problems out on FZ1 and answered yes, sorted from 05 onwards.

Cheers Lew

Hi, Thanks for posting, went to the NEC show yesterday, get you about shaft drive etc! the FJR is just to big for me,knackered knees from bouncing down the road years ago, but looking at a BMW is not an option, they are taking the PI-S with there prices and to best honest not all things German are wonderfully engineered.

Looked at the TDM 900 and also the FZ1, can get the FZ1 tooled up with fairing and panniers , supposed to have sorted the fuel management system. Will have to wash my mouth out with soap but the Suzy V strom GT(heated grips hard luggage)and the 1250 bandit GT is a hell of bike for the money even with out chasing a discount.

Threw my leg over a Honda Deaveulle, a guy had to give a nudge as I fell asleep it was so boring.

Lew

....... I am thinking of replacing it as I think running around from Northwest England to south of France a few times a year might be a bit hard on a 600 motor,

The long runs you are talking about will be fine on this bike, I've got one with 18500 on the clock and it runs perfectly. The effect on the rider might vary, I find the Fizzer a bit fussy, and I'd not want to do any long range stuff on it - more of a Sunday blast bike IMHO.

Obvously I like the Yamaha brand , any ideas as to what would make a good replacement bearing in mind I am looking for something fully faired, topbox and panniers......

....... I have a budget of around 5K.

OK, so you are looking for a bike that will take you tp France and back a few times a year, pressumably you are asking for fully faired because of the weather protection ??

And you have a budget of £5K.

Consider a test ride on a XT660Z, yes it's a single, and yes it's not as smooth as the in-line 4's, like the Fizzer. I put 8146 miles on mine in 19 days and it is the most comfy long range bike around. The seating possition is such that you see everything, no aches pains or wind blast. Fully kitted out with panniers, on the road will be about £5500 spanking new.

It's not everyone's cup of tea - but those who love them, really love them.

There are some down sides to the bike, the Italians have a habit of over tightening the cable ties around the wiring harness, the deal will loosen these (if they don't the harness wears through!). The bike is very tall, so if your leg is less than 30" then it's going to be a struggle (although there are lowering kits available).

Pluss points;

300 mile range on a single tank of juice,

great weather protection

great visability

loads of road prescence

after 500 miles you'll get off and be looking forward to the next 500, rather than looking for a masseur

Like I say, not everyones cup of tea - but if you want a go anywhere/anytime bike, then at least get down to yuor dealer and have a look.

When you say North, is it the real North, or more Manchester /Leeds north ??

FZ1 would be my choice, know a few guys who have them, they all love em. It's a de-tuned R1 in a tourable sports bike.

You can ride them naked or faired up with full panier kit.

Plenty of power, decent tank range and mpg, tour-friendly suspension and for the size of bike relatively light at under 200kg.

You can make them look and sound as mean as you like yet ride in Divi-style comfort.

Sorted :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online