wont start,will start wont start will start wont start will start

Morgy
This post is 5651 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When bike has been left for a while (couple of hours), it takes ages to start, have to use both button start and kick start to finally get it going. Spoke to a friend today he told me to check spark plug, its fine and sparks when start button pressed.He then said to remove air filter from carb, place hand over air inlet and see if it starts, it doesnt, which means theres no split in carb casing. He then suggested jump starting via car to see if battery is problem, bike turned over quicker but didnt start, so battery isnt problem. I then tried starting it with choke in and it started, i thought yeh dont use choke to start it. I then let it run for a bit (10 mins) to warm up and turned it off. I then tried to start it feeling pretty confident, bloody thing wouldnt start. Button a few times, kick start a few times, it starts again. I let it run for a bit occasionally giving a few more revs, then turned it off. Tried to start it, no joy :angry: .

What the bloody hell is going on, can someone please help me

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When bike has been left for a while (couple of hours), it takes ages to start, have to use both button start and kick start to finally get it going. Spoke to a friend today he told me to check spark plug, its fine and sparks when start button pressed.He then said to remove air filter from carb, place hand over air inlet and see if it starts, it doesnt, which means theres no split in carb casing. He then suggested jump starting via car to see if battery is problem, bike turned over quicker but didnt start, so battery isnt problem. I then tried starting it with choke in and it started, i thought yeh dont use choke to start it. I then let it run for a bit (10 mins) to warm up and turned it off. I then tried to start it feeling pretty confident, bloody thing wouldnt start. Button a few times, kick start a few times, it starts again. I let it run for a bit occasionally giving a few more revs, then turned it off. Tried to start it, no joy :angry: .

///

what bike ???

sounds awfully like a blocked pilot jet problem...will start with choke...wont start without it!!

ybr 125 05 plate

Tried again this morning, finally got it going and let it run for 20 mins and also adjusted idle as it was a little low. There is also an occasional backfire when revved up to 5-6k revs, just a stab in the the dark but would this tie in with the poor starting, if so how can i fix it?

Tried again this morning, finally got it going and let it run for 20 mins and also adjusted idle as it was a little low. There is also an occasional backfire when revved up to 5-6k revs, just a stab in the the dark but would this tie in with the poor starting, if so how can i fix it?

is your bike fi or does it have a carb ?

It has a carb. Ive just been talking to another mate and he says it sounds like the compression is low, wot d'ya reckon

Low compression would give you poor performance when it was running but you could test it quite easy (£7.99 on ebay for a tester). do I get this right the bike starts from cold without choke and not at all when hot ? if this is the case try starting the engine with full throttle if then the bike starts you have a carb problem. time to strip the carb out !

Low compression would give you poor performance when it was running but you could test it quite easy (£7.99 on ebay for a tester). do I get this right the bike starts from cold without choke and not at all when hot ? if this is the case try starting the engine with full throttle if then the bike starts you have a carb problem. time to strip the carb out !

The bike doesn't start easliy when cold or when warmed up. I believe you're right about the carb and intend to take it apart and give it a ruddy good clean as soon as i get a chance, but for now i'll have to battle on, joy.

The bike doesn't start easliy when cold or when warmed up. I believe you're right about the carb and intend to take it apart and give it a ruddy good clean as soon as i get a chance, but for now i'll have to battle on, joy.

so does it start from cold with no choke and fails to start warm/hot ?

so does it start from cold with no choke and fails to start warm/hot ?

it acts the same when cold and and warmed up. I eventually got it started today(cold) with no choke but had to use choke to keep it going. Sometimes ive used choke to get it started(warm) and sometimes not. There doesn't seem to be any set pattern other than 9/10 it takes ages to get it started. Last tuesday i used choke(cold) and it started with one press of the button, later on that day(cold) it wouldn't start for ages. All i can think of is that something in the carb is most of the time stuck/blocked and sometimes unstuck/unblocked, so i reckon a good clean is the next step.

it acts the same when cold and and warmed up. I eventually got it started today(cold) with no choke but had to use choke to keep it going. Sometimes ive used choke to get it started(warm) and sometimes not. There doesn't seem to be any set pattern other than 9/10 it takes ages to get it started. Last tuesday i used choke(cold) and it started with one press of the button, later on that day(cold) it wouldn't start for ages. All i can think of is that something in the carb is most of the time stuck/blocked and sometimes unstuck/unblocked, so i reckon a good clean is the next step.

+1

Sounds to me too as if the carb is full with dirt. It must be the MIKUNI VM22 or isn't it?

You can see how to right here.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=...I_vm_manual.pdf

+1

Sounds to me too as if the carb is full with dirt. It must be the MIKUNI VM22 or isn't it?

You can see how to right here.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=...I_vm_manual.pdf

ive just come from a bike shop and they have sold me a fuel filter to put in the fuel line and told me that taking the carb apart and putting back together can be a bit fiddly. As someone who's never done it before, is it do-able, i'd hate to screw it up. Not sure what model of carb it is, will have a look tomorrow, if it is the MIKUNI VM22 cheers for the link that will come in very handy.

ive just come from a bike shop and they have sold me a fuel filter to put in the fuel line and told me that taking the carb apart and putting back together can be a bit fiddly. As someone who's never done it before, is it do-able, i'd hate to screw it up. Not sure what model of carb it is, will have a look tomorrow, if it is the MIKUNI VM22 cheers for the link that will come in very handy.

just done a cg125 carb, stripped and cleaned in the ultrasonic bath (from Aldi) and put together in 1 hour.

doddle doodles :D

main jet was clogged and accelerator valve stuck shut!!

just done a cg125 carb, stripped and cleaned in the ultrasonic bath (from Aldi) and put together in 1 hour.

doddle doodles :D

main jet was clogged and accelerator valve stuck shut!!

One other thing it could be as well is the key barrel. It happens on mine but if you play about with the key it will start again. I have been there for 20 minutes turning it over without luck before now. Since I found out this trick if it happens i keep twisting the key about and it starts again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online