How long for a battery to live?

Ttaskmaster
This post is 5718 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Okay, for my first post...... How long should I expect to get out of a battery on a 650 Drag?

Just had to replace mine and it was suggested that the battery was just old......

I've had it about a year myself and, though it is a GS replacement battery, it's done anywhere up to 34,000 miles over the past 9 years.

Just wondering how good that is?

Ta,

Woody.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

Okay, for my first post...... How long should I expect to get out of a battery on a 650 Drag?

Just had to replace mine and it was suggested that the battery was just old......

I've had it about a year myself and, though it is a GS replacement battery, it's done anywhere up to 34,000 miles over the past 9 years.

Ta,

Woody.

To many variables battery life is dependant on factors ...

1) How well they are looked after

2) The charging system on the bike

3) The way the bikes used (starting with the lights on after a lay up etc

4) The Nut behind the bars :rolleyes:

regards Jim

1/. She gets a weekly run of 120 miles, follwed by a clean.

2/. Having had a weird battery failure, this will be checked professionally very shortly.

3/. I don't usually ride with lights on unless in poor visibility/at night.

4/. I think No. 3 answered this rather well :D

Hi all,

Ta,

Woody.

Battery just old, i'll go along with that, 9 years... old that is!

1/. She gets a weekly run of 120 miles, follwed by a clean.

2/. Having had a weird battery failure, this will be checked professionally very shortly.

3/. I don't usually ride with lights on unless in poor visibility/at night.

4/. I think No. 3 answered this rather well :D

ok just make sure that the bike charges well ... some bikes (whichever modal) tend to charge at different rates.

I would guess the odd charging fault you have (your 2/) has a regress to your problem. I left Yamaha in 1988 so your machine is later than I'm used to but this problem did occur with the TR1 years b4 and I'm sorry about 4) just trying to make light

Regards JIm

Cheers guys - Just wondered.

The one I just replaced came with the bike anyway. It wasn't an original (I don't think, anyway.....) A GS (ZTONG Yee Industrial) make of battery (GT12B-4).

The problem is as follows - Rode to Kent, 90 miles, lights on all the way, no worries.

Rode all the way back, lights on, no worries.

Went to park up at home, next to her Ladyship and stalled. No problem, flick into Neutral, Clutch in and...... BZZZZZZZZZZZZTTT............

No starter-motor.

A couple more goes and then no BZZT either.

Neutral light looking a bit dim, too.

Push-start down the hill, she starts fine (though I'm regretting being a smoker as 37 stone of bike is a bit of a b*tch to push).

I sit there on medium-high revs for good few minutes (just like the AA and RAC do) and then switch off for another go. She starts fine.

I ride down the road, park up and switch off.

My intuition niggles, so I try one more start-up and again not even a BZZT.

Battery seems dead and not holding a charge. Guess I was running the lights off the alternator...

So, I take the battery inside and attach it to my solar charger.

After a whole day and night (yes, it works off a normal lightbulb, just not quite as well) of charging, the voltage as measured by Multimeter remains at the same 11.5 as when I first checked it pre-charge.

Does any of this suggest issues with anything else on the charging circuit, other than the simply dead battery?

Yep, battery karked it.

Had a full diagnostic of the whole circuit and all else seems fine.

Was just worried that running it off the Alternator for 2 hours might have fecked that as well!!

Been there, done that!!

Following the Other Half's advice and greater years of motorcycling experience, I ended up with an overfilled oil sump.

Cue BIG black clouds of combusted oil spewing out the bike!!!!!!!!