nail in the rear tire

Evzon
This post is 5753 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the club and was wondering if someone could help me out. Last week i was coming home from work and I ran over a nail. I didn't notice anything because my tire still had full pressure in it. It was when I was getting gas that i saw the nail's head. I put a plug in it and so far it seems to be fine (about 200 miles). Should i order a new tire asap or would it be ok for the rest of the season? Thanks for reading.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the club and was wondering if someone could help me out. Last week i was coming home from work and I ran over a nail. I didn't notice anything because my tire still had full pressure in it. It was when I was getting gas that i saw the nail's head. I put a plug in it and so far it seems to be fine (about 200 miles). Should i order a new tire asap or would it be ok for the rest of the season? Thanks for reading.

Welcome to thee club matey.

Well, if that was me, ID take it to a professional bike tyre person and have it plugged properly, yes they can last, but it depends on the type of tyre, the type of bike, and your riding. Over here, some garages wont repair certain types of tyres (speed rating). It also depends where the nail went in and what damage it did.

Best to get it professionaly checked and plugged. Over here it costs arond £20-30.00

The last thing you would want is it blowing on you. If you have had it professionaly plugged, yes it may last the season, but be wary that it may not perform as well.

I've done the same plug trick before, & it got me down the road for another month before I pulled off the tire & patched it myself from the inside with a patch kit......which then lasted me till the winter holidays.....for it's usual tire replacement interval.

Cheap fix...& not really difficult to do, with the proper tools :unsure:

BTW.... :welcome: to the forum Evzon ;)

I have always replaced the tyre at the earliest opportunity.

I would not be best chuffed if i had it plugged and it blew on me on the motorway.

So depends on whether you wanna take that risk i suppose.

Having worked for a few shops i can say that if you have a good bit of tread left then have it plugged properly, these days if done well a plug can last the life of the tyre.

the diy repairs are only meant to be tempoary - i would have it checked by a pro - i had a piece of metal in the tread once that hadnt gone all the way thro, a pro-fitter and i inspected the inside of the tyre carefully and i drove it on til it wore out.

intenal repairs are probably ok as the centripetal forces 'improve the seal' (i know that it is a glib interpretation!). A tyre at high speeds, can be experiencing tread forces in excess of 2000g!!!!! so repair carried out on the outside not only has to seal, but also resist this large loading.

Thanks for your advice everyone. The tire is still pretty new (about 2000 miles) so it still has a decent amount of tread. I'm a little nervous about taking it on the highway though. I looked into a new tire and the dealership told me that it would cost roughly $400 for a new tire to be installed. Would the patch work with the plug still in the tire?

Yes, they will slice the plug so its level with the inside of the tyre and patch over it, I had it done on a Suzuki Bandit and it worked fine until the tyre wore out. The tyre bay people will advise you if for some reason they dont think its safe, as they can see it and we cant!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online