oil level...

jrhendryx
This post is 5760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

question for the masses...

Is it possible that the measuring lines on the oil dipstick for my bike to be incorrect?

Prior to changing the oil, the level on the dipstick was about right at the bottom line, which I assumed was a quart low.

After changing the oil and filter, it was half way between the top and bottom lines (1/2 qt low).....

I topped it off to the full line, and now the engine seems to be working quite a bit harder. Is it possible that I was a dipstick and just misread the other dipstick, or could it actually be inaccurate?

Any suggestions as to how to remove oil from the engine without draining the whole thing again? Perhaps I could take it out via a hose through the measuring hole?

hopefully this wasnt too vague...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

question for the masses...

Is it possible that the measuring lines on the oil dipstick for my bike to be incorrect?

Prior to changing the oil, the level on the dipstick was about right at the bottom line, which I assumed was a quart low.

After changing the oil and filter, it was half way between the top and bottom lines (1/2 qt low).....

I topped it off to the full line, and now the engine seems to be working quite a bit harder. Is it possible that I was a dipstick and just misread the other dipstick, or could it actually be inaccurate?

Any suggestions as to how to remove oil from the engine without draining the whole thing again? Perhaps I could take it out via a hose through the measuring hole?

hopefully this wasnt too vague...

on my xs400 the level is measured with the dipstick removed and placed on top of the orifice without screwing in, that is where the meaurement is taken!

if you have overfilled and want to remove some oil, would it be easier to loosen the front oil filter housing and dump that and refit, then turn-over engine to re-prime?

If he was checking it with it screwed in and it was low, and now seems to be overfilled, and then checks it without it screwed in, now it will seem low again and have even more oil in it than before!

Just my logic though. Wonder what type of oil he is running that the engine would seem to be working harder than it was before. Maybe his weight is too high? Just a thought

If he was checking it with it screwed in and it was low, and now seems to be overfilled, and then checks it without it screwed in, now it will seem low again and have even more oil in it than before!

Just my logic though. Wonder what type of oil he is running that the engine would seem to be working harder than it was before. Maybe his weight is too high? Just a thought

might just be Psycological

might just be Psycological

doubtful ;)

i checked it just as the manual says, cold, on center stand, with it sitting on the threads (not screwed in).

also, when I replaced the oil, i did use 20-50 instead of 20-40, since that was all I could find, and it only calls for 10-30 if you live in cold climates.

I replaced the 3.4 qts (3.2L) that it calls for when changing the filter, and after the engine had cooled, it read 1/2 a quart low on the stick. I filled it to the "full" line, and that was when I began experiencing problems.

I stuck a straw down the measuring hole and drew out some oil back down to the 1/2 qt low area, and its back to running fine.

Odd.......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online