new to site and would like some advice PLEASE!

midnite
This post is 5785 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi im new to this site so i like to start by saying hellloo to all ....

rite im not a biker but taking my full bike test in a few weeks time and i have all ways loved to 2001 to 2003 r6 but some many people are telling me not to buy one for my first bike....

so my reason for asking is what bike should i be looking at buying for a first time rider thats has been driving cars for the past 11 years?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi im new to this site so i like to start by saying hellloo to all ....

rite im not a biker but taking my full bike test in a few weeks time and i have all ways loved to 2001 to 2003 r6 but some many people are telling me not to buy one for my first bike....

so my reason for asking is what bike should i be looking at buying for a first time rider thats has been driving cars for the past 11 years?

Hellllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooo....lol.... Welcome to the site.

I see what people are getting at here...R6 is a monster....turns into a nutter half way through its revs (correct me if im wrong peeps), and for a first bike ever...It may prove to be a little too powerfull...bike engines are nothing like cars....the R6 puts out the equivalent Bhp of a decent size family car approx 123 bhp (ok BIG family car)....but very very light...so you get a greater power to weight ratio..thus turning your bike into a ferrari....Even a 400 is still quick when you wind them up...they call these bikes screamers..cos they scream when you wind them up through the gears.

But saying all this...you can still potter around on a 6....But be wary that your insurance will be high....To keep your insurance down ...aim for something not so sporty...unless you have deep pockets....

P

As L2R said, get quotes for insurance, if theyre steep you can think about something not as powerful. Also think about how you would use the bike most, R6 may not be the best commuter option crouched down over the tank, dont get me wrong i'm not knocking the sportsbikes but be sure you know what your'e getting into because there are so many other styles

Trail

Street

Sports tourer

tourer

Cruiser

etc etc

Whatever you chose, stay safe and enjoy the experience.

As L2R said, get quotes for insurance,

...aim for something not so sporty...unless you have deep pockets....

There`s wisdom in them there posts, to get any real enjoyment out of a full blown sportsbike you need a fair bit of experience and skill, something you cannot gain without learning on something a little less focussed. (there are no prizes for being the fastest rider in casualty :o )

There is not a toddler born who didn`t go down smack on their face when they first tried to run, without the stability gained by experience of a fair bit of crawling and walking.

Don`t get led into getting something just because your mates have got one or trying to "keep up with the Jones` "

Have you thought about a Thundercat, or a Fazer, they will both keep you entertained for a fair while and resell easily when you are ready to change.

Both are far better at two up work as well, being a bit more comfy.

Whatever you decide, remember that passing your test is a very small step on a lifelong biking journey, take lots of small steps, rather than giant leaps, to begin with and you will have a more enjoyable and probably safer biking career B)

I, like you, have been on 4 wheels for a good few years (23 to be exact) - I joined the biking world last year. Looked at lots of stuff from all the major makers. Liked the Honda CBF1000 but was put off by complaints from owners about engine vibes and bar misalignment. Liked the BMW F800ST - but not the price! Settled on a new FZ6 S2 Fazer. Has a detuned R6 engine but with simpler suspension and more upright riding position.

With little to reference it against I have to say it’s brilliant. Its quicker than me, has let me get away with some daft/buttock clenching mid-corner c**k-ups, makes me smile when I get corners and gear changes right (they do happen occasionally) and has yet to miss a beat or give less than 55 miles to the gallon.

Ultimately it’s down to what you want the bike for and your own personal preference. I tried a Bandit - good value with ABS as standard and although it was gruntier than the FZ6 it didn't fit me as well. My advice is try before you buy - the guys at BMW Bristol were great and let me have the F800ST for a whole day; others are less willing to let you play for such a long time. Get to know your dealers and ask their, and the bikers who drink tea there, advice - they were a great source of common sense for me which meant that I didn't end up buying the 2006 Fireblade that the little devil on my left shoulder wanted me to! But most of all don't be rushed and don't be swayed by the gloss of a new bike and/or the deal that is just about to run out - take your time and chose carefully.

well thanks guys for all your advice and none of my mates ride bikes but its that little thing in every ones head you see some think you like and you must have it.....

i wouldnt ride like a twat becasue i know how dangerous they can be... but i will take my time and see if i can get to go out on a few bikes to see how i get on with them....

i live in bristol and they have some major bike dealers here so i can look around them....

but thanks for all your help i will keep your all posted with what i bought...

been looking around and my uncle said what about a 400 becasue his friend has one for sale its a yam fzr 400rr

Visit My Website

hi there,i used to have a 400{its in bits at the mo} it's the fzr it would be a good first bike cause it can be more forgiving than the bigger bikes and its still a fast bike, should be good on insurance aswell.have a go,see wot you think. have fun B)

Mine was the VFR 750 and i still have it.

I just got a FZ600 and it ment to have the same engine as the R6 just not as powerful.

but i have not had chance to ride it yet and it been in my garage for 2 days IT'S KILLING ME NOT RIDING IT.....:(

Welcome, Midnite.

You may have a lot of bother with insurance, I think. As an example, I returned to biking after a 12 year absence, rode a TDM for 3 years then went for an R6. Despite having no claims, some insurance said they wouldn't insure me, even at 43 years. The reason "We don't consider the TDM to have given you suitable experience for an R6". Twats. Still, I did get insurance (thanks to Carole Nash), so that was all right.

As far as getting an R6 for a first bike? Noooooooooo!! (in my opinion). It's a lairy bike to start with, the pre-2004 models especially so. If you want something that sort of size, I would rather recommend the 600 Fazer. Decent handling and economy, plenty of poke for a first timer and, because it's not an arse rocket, unlikely to worry those nice insurance people.

Welcome, Midnite.

You may have a lot of bother with insurance, I think. As an example, I returned to biking after a 12 year absence, rode a TDM for 3 years then went for an R6. Despite having no claims, some insurance said they wouldn't insure me, even at 43 years. The reason "We don't consider the TDM to have given you suitable experience for an R6". Twats. Still, I did get insurance (thanks to Carole Nash), so that was all right.

As far as getting an R6 for a first bike? Noooooooooo!! (in my opinion). It's a lairy bike to start with, the pre-2004 models especially so. If you want something that sort of size, I would rather recommend the 600 Fazer. Decent handling and economy, plenty of poke for a first timer and, because it's not an arse rocket, unlikely to worry those nice insurance people.

I had a CBR 600f as my 1st bike for 18 months and it was a great 1st bike so highly recommended.

As for the insurance, shouldnt be a problem if you knw the right people (wink wink)

....what bike should i be looking at buying ........

:welcome:

There's lot of good advice from the above, but the only person who can make the descision is you.

My two penneth,

Have a sit on as many different styles of bike as you can, make sure you get your feet on the pegs and hands on the bars (ask the dealer to steady the bike for you if you are at all uncertain), put a lid on (sounds daft but really, it works!) whilst in position try to imagine yourself on the road, have a look around you - can you check your blindspot without moving the bars ??? are you happy with the possition, what about your neck? does it feel comfortable ?? These are just really basic things to consider for the style. You may find (as I do) sportsbikes uncomfortable, unless your going fast, real fast! ( I tried a 1K Blade a few months ago, only comfortable at, erm, the wrong speed!), or you dont like the laid back possition of the cruisers ( I think you have to be a particular state of mind to enjoy these bikes - nothing wrong, some of the most chilled out riders I've met), you might preffer the sit-up, see all possition of the super-moto/trail bike type, or a nice commuter bike with weekend appeal (Fazer/Hornet etc) no one knows but you....

When you've decided on a style, have a think about the engine you want, in-line, twin, V, triple, single - lots of different engines with different behavour. this is where the test ride comes into play. Make the dealers work and try as much as you can,

The insurance is going to be a decider in many cases, but it shouldn't stop you from choosing the right style.

Power isn't everything! I've just moved from a XL1000 Varadero with OOOOOooools of go in it to a 40BHP Tenere, and I can get everywhere just as quick, in fact the Tenere is way more nible on the twisty roads and in town than the bike bike was.

Lots to think about - good luck.

been looking around and my uncle said what about a 400 becasue his friend has one for sale its a yam fzr 400rr

Visit My Website

I started on bikes (& peds...) at 16, converted to cars at 18, and 15 years later passed my bike test...haven't rode much since getting it, but got a FZ400RL now. (Well, had it a while already, but long story). Anyways, I find the 400 to have more than enough power, love the previously mentioned 'screamer' effect (sounds fast even when you're putting along, imo!) and the insurance has hit in at a mere 90 quid a year (admittedly thanks to 9 years NCB on cars). While I can't say spend time hunting out one like mine (I like the individuality ;-) ) I wouldn't have a problem recommending a 400 to start on.

Good luck!

I did my test this year and went out and got a brand new R6 in March. Had no real riding experiance before as such but again been driving fast cars since I was 16.

Got insurance without any problems at all and I'm 25. Yes an R6 is a very quick and potentially lethal piece of kit but as long as you give it respect you'd be fine.

It did take some gettng use too but now I am very comfortable with it and don't regret jumping straight onto an R6 at all.

Just my 2 pence worth :)

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Rite my 2 pence worth!

I have been riding 600's for two years and they ahve been restricted to 33bhp! I have a fazer and I deristricted it last night!

It was was quick it is quick it mite be daft to go for an r6 if it has even more power then the fazer.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online