Ferry Crossings and bikes - a bad mix?

SRJ999
This post is 5824 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good forum people,

I'm planning a short trip to Europe at the end of the summer, using the TDM. I was initially going to use Eurotunnel because it's quick, easy and I can keep an eye on the bike but my other half would like to be able to relax on the ferry instead. I'm looking at a Dover-Calais crossing, so does anyone have any experience on how well/badly bikes are handled on the ferries? Does any carrier come in for praise/criticism? Any experiences anybody has would be appreciated. I assume the bike would be tied down but, as I'll be using the new one, I'd be mortified if any damage occurs on the crossing.

I also apologise if the topic has already been covered. Ta.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

every Ferry I have used, you have to tie down your own bike, straps are provided but they aren't that good (as in clean condition)

Ok - so does the advice include "bring your own webbing ties and/or rags to protect the surfaces?"

You are usually given 2 ratchet straps per bike to secure it. But be quick as some of the foreign riders take 3 or 4!

Leave it on the sidestand if you can and lock the steering

Depending what bike you got you can usually pass one strap through over the top of swing arm pivot just behind the rear wheel and in front of the shock absorber. When this one single strap is tensioned up the bike is securely planted to the deck for the trip.

If your really worried fix another strap but make sure it's somewhere safe

Also take some old rags and put them between strap and bike, save scratches

Depending if you are on the left hand or right hand car decks there is a cable running down the outside wall of the ferry which you can clip your strap onto.

It is important to line up the fixing eye on the deck with your swing arm position so that when the strap passes through, it is more or less straight across the bike.

HTH

Hi,

We use the ferry a lot & have sailed with P&O, Sea France etc etc, yes you have to strap your own bike down & its very easy with the one strap they supply that goes over the seat & it has a pad on it to protect your seat, the guys on the ferry are fairly helpful & will help you or even do the job for you. When going on the bike its the ferry every time :thumb: , hope that helps

R

Thanks, people. Cheryl is very keen on this idea, so I think we're on for it. Personally, I don't have a preference for Chunnel or ferry but I can see the advantages with the boat, in terms of being able to get away from the bike, stretch the legs and/or relax.

I'm getting a Givi top box fitted but am also likely to take a tank bag. Whilst I'm sure the box will be fine, I'll probably keep the tank bag with me on board.

Actually, I find that I'm actually looking forward to this now..... :D

I have went across Portsmouth to st malo it was 11 hour night crossing so you wake up have breky before riding off.

It was ok and the bike did not get damaged but the straps and pad protectors were worn and grubby.

Good luck and have a great time the roads are good over there and I never seen any cops.

The tunnel itself is about 30 miles long. Once on the train, it's about 35 minutes Folkestone to Calais. Add up to an hour beforehand for checking in and loading but, once at the other end, you'll be off the train and on the motorway within about 5 minutes. Overall, it's a very efficient service.

Going on a bike can occasionally be a bit of a lottery, mind. I've been stranded twice now, both times at the France end, when they forgot I was still waiting. Generally, however, the service has been pretty good. The staff sometimes allowed me to wait on the platform so I didn't get forgotten.

Bikes are usually put at the back of the train and, because there are no facilities to speak of, you'll spend that 35 minutes sitting on the floor next to the bike while the train makes its way under the Channel. The ferry is the more relaxing way to cross (assuming the sea is calm) but it's a 90 minute crossing, plus probably 30 minutes either end for boarding and disembarking.

Thanks for the information. Its been a long time, but I thought the tunnel was supposed to have both rail and auto lanes. Is it only rail? I guess it would make sense, with the emissions from cars causing serious problems without the proper venting.

To Peabody.

There are two sets of TRAINS that go through THE TUNNEL.

One sort is for passengers, who can go from the centre of London to Paris, or Bussels etc.

Another set of "freight" trains take cars, vans coaches etc, but with the occupants still in them, like a roll on/off ferry.

These go from Felixstowe (near Dover) to Calais in france and back.

The only people going through the tunnel not on a train, are illegal immigrants :angry: most of whom get shot, mauled by the dogs or run over by the trains............(only kidding, they flood the tunnel twice a day when the tides change, most of em drown ;) )

To Peabody.

There are two sets of TRAINS that go through THE TUNNEL.

One sort is for passengers, who can go from the centre of London to Paris, or Bussels etc.

Another set of "freight" trains take cars, vans coaches etc, but with the occupants still in them, like a roll on/off ferry.

These go from Felixstowe (near Dover) to Calais in france and back.

The only people going through the tunnel not on a train, are illegal immigrants :angry: most of whom get shot, mauled by the dogs or run over by the trains............(only kidding, they flood the tunnel twice a day when the tides change, most of em drown ;) )

:rofl:

That's a shame. Thought it would be a great way to start a trip, riding the bike across the tunnel.

:rofl:

That's a shame. Thought it would be a great way to start a trip, riding the bike across the tunnel.

Well, although you can't actually ride a bike through, you'll be in continental Europe way faster than if you use the ferry. A word of caution though. If you're planning on using the tunnel, DON'T take your bike to Felixstowe - you'll be 130 miles out of your way. The Channel Tunnel terminal is actually in Folkestone, Kent. Felixstowe (which also has a ferry port) is in Suffolk. A minor point but significant ;)

Well, although you can't actually ride a bike through, you'll be in continental Europe way faster than if you use the ferry. A word of caution though. If you're planning on using the tunnel, DON'T take your bike to Felixstowe - you'll be 130 miles out of your way. The Channel Tunnel terminal is actually in Folkestone, Kent. Felixstowe (which also has a ferry port) is in Suffolk. A minor point but significant ;)

Some day I'll get a chance to get lost out that way. :D

:yeahthat: Folkstone..Felixstowe........Its all boats to me :sorry::fish:

Well done SRJ999........You spotted this weeks deliberate mistake <_< You win the top prize of free posts on the YOC for a month :lol: :lol:

Good job nobody actually planning to meet up on MY say so..........Not even in the same COUNTY or the same side of the Thames!

Next thing you are going to tell me is that NEW YORK isn`t in CALIFORNIA ;):lol:

Town confusion is easy to aquire in this country. What can you expect when there are (for example) THREE Ashfords (Kent, Surrey & Middlesex) within 70 miles of London?

Town confusion is easy to aquire in this country. What can you expect when there are (for example) THREE Ashfords (Kent, Surrey & Middlesex) within 70 miles of London?

I thought that kind of stupidity was exclusive in America. If anyone has ever seen "The Simpsons" The exact location of Springfield is a running joke. There's 23 Springfields in the U.S. :rolleyes: At least 3 Gainesvilles, and 3 Huntsvilles. At least they're farther than 70 miles apart. I've also been to Climax, Georgia. I've had better. :lol:

The most common name for a village here is "BOURNE END" Or "BORNE END". 34, i think at the last count. usually a hamlet attached to a larger conurbation. A lot don`t even make it into the map indexes.

One of the things I like about New York (and now England) is that they call their towns what they are. The "city" of New York, the "town" of Montgomery. Wallkill, NY is listed as a "village," and rightly so. It doesn't even have a traffic light. Not so in Florida. I've ridden through the countryside and came across signs reading "Morriston city limits." No lights, no buildings, nothing but forest, fields and cattle. Eight miles later I passed a crossroad. The entire "city" was one gas station. And no, not even a traffic light! But it's still called a "city". :rolleyes: I guess nobody in our state capital ever bothered to look up the definition.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online