ugh...... soft metal

jrhendryx
This post is 5880 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just totally and completely stripped the top threaded hole on my brake side lever assembly.

the i didn't even torque it down enough to seat it onto the new handlebars (which have the same OD by the way, i double checked that to see if I would need to make a shim of some kind), it was still free spinning.

when i started to tighten the bottom screw, as soon as it made contact with its lock washer, the top one went *pop* and just kind of slid out of the hole.

now, i have to check the one old bike recycling place here to try and scrounge up an original. if that doesnt work, im going to have to try to either fix it somehow (not likely, the metal is soft enough inside the hole that i could peel it back with my fingernail - not good) or find a suitable replacement elsewhere....

any ideas?

im thinking that maybe one of the master cylinder brake lever assemblies from mikesxs.com might do the trick, but it would require that I replace the brake side switches as well (mine is a one piece, the xs650's used a two piece set-up), and thats going to make it even more expensive...

so for now, im back to four wheels again until i can fix my latest blunder. :(

any suggestions would be welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my sympathies indeed .

as a kawasaki man just getting into yamaha's i wouldn't know what the offending article looked like ,

likewise what bike it was for , or if it was single or twin disc , or what bars is was to suit .

but i might be tempted to run an ebay search ,

"yamaha master" which should give you an idea of what's out there ?

best of british sir !

Try this, Permatex stripped thread repair. It works surprisingly well. You mix a two part compound to cover the damaged threads, apply a release agent to your bolt and simply thread the bolt back in. Wait a few minutes and remove the bolt. Allow the compound and new threads to cure and voila, new threads.

Try this, Permatex stripped thread repair. It works surprisingly well. You mix a two part compound to cover the damaged threads, apply a release agent to your bolt and simply thread the bolt back in. Wait a few minutes and remove the bolt. Allow the compound and new threads to cure and voila, new threads.

Thanks, i will try to find that one.

Oh, and what i meant by "brake side lever assembly" was that i stripped the top bolt hole where the clamp attaches the master cylinder/brake lever assembly to the handlebars. no pictures at the moment, i was just so disgusted that i had to go do something else instead.

ive searched ebay, and all of my other fall-back online parts stores and for the most part, all ive come up with are xs650 master cylinders, which are all designed with a larger reservoir and lines to handle dual front discs. i show that my local yamaha dealer can find me a replacement (not NOS, but a new replacement style), but its more than $100...

oh yeah, i was incorrect when i was originally posting and was just trying to picture it in my head... my right hand switches are a separate unit from the master cylinder assembly.

Thanks, i will try to find that one.

Oh, and what i meant by "brake side lever assembly" was that i stripped the top bolt hole where the clamp attaches the master cylinder/brake lever assembly to the handlebars. no pictures at the moment, i was just so disgusted that i had to go do something else instead.

ive searched ebay, and all of my other fall-back online parts stores and for the most part, all ive come up with are xs650 master cylinders, which are all designed with a larger reservoir and lines to handle dual front discs. i show that my local yamaha dealer can find me a replacement (not NOS, but a new replacement style), but its more than $100...

oh yeah, i was incorrect when i was originally posting and was just trying to picture it in my head... my right hand switches are a separate unit from the master cylinder assembly.

I think the xs 650 of the same year is the same , there were no stock dual disc xs 650 us version so the xs should work fine, but im betting your gonna have to find the correct yr xs or Tx . Id just shoot some jb weld into it stick in the bolt finger tighten it , let it dry and then try to tweek it a little tigher. or just drill it retapp with larger bolt, I think there 6mm bolts if pos go to 8, that shits super soft so itll retap . just a thought.

heres the part # for the brake rebuild kits, I cant find part # for the housing its self (not really sure why). I beleive there the same but cant remember how there # 's work for sure, I believe there the same using the last 8 digits for coding , that being said finding a master body for a 75 xs is gonna be a bitch to I think they only used that style for 3 yrs. (round body).

remember these are rebuild kit #s not the actual part #'s

xs 650 75 .

360-20000-10

xs 500

1A0-20000-10

try powersportpro, and or old bike barn, heres a few others

http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/

http://vintagecyclepart.com/

Thanks for all of the help guys.

I tried the JB weld Jeepurz, no dice... i even let it cure overnight. it pulled right apart as soon as i even started to tighten the bottom bolt at all.

I am going to tap it to a larger size, insert a steel sleeve that matches up to my bolt, and then call it good (well, a local shop is going to do it, and im going to watch carefully)

hopefully that will take care of it.

alright, i got it fixed this morning. It looked relatively simple. I think that I should invest in a set of taps and dies.

At the moment, the throttle and brake cables are looped about a bit, and im going to have to get shorter ones soon, but for now it works out.

in fact, the bike actually feels much more solid now. it seems to handle better. i cant think of a better way to explain it than it feels -snappier-.... like it feels more solid in corners, more like its pushing in than rolling in to the corner.

IMG_1072.jpg

here is an above set of pictures to compare what it looks like before and after.

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

as you can see, the mirrors are quite a bit closer now, so im probably going to put in some bar end mirrors. I can see out of them now, but i have to pinch my elbow in slightly to do so.

what do you guys think?

clubmans , way better.

the bars puts more weight on the front which pushes the steering into corners, that's why it will corner better.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's too late, but go to Mike's XS 650 Parts and look at their brake stuff. They have replacement parts for the XS650, and Yamaha used the same 7/8" handlebar fittings on most of their bikes, at least from 1970 through 1982. I've replaced all of my handlebar controls with new ones from Mike at very reasonable prices. They have parts which are usable by other Yamaha Classic bikes, although they aren't identified as such on the site. They also have replacement, shorter cables for your bike, now that it has Clubman bars.

One reason it corners better now is that your weight is more forward on the bike, since you have to lean forward more than with the stock bars. The back wheel has enough weight on it; the front "sticks" better with more weight but may be more likely to cross up when you're in sand or on wet pavement, so watch those conditions until you're used to the bike's new handling.

Hope this helps ....

Steelburner :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online