08 R6 Questions

R6Jools
This post is 5239 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Picked up my beautiful white 08 R6 last friday, having ridden a heavily modded Ducati M900 for the last few years, i'm in love!!! Like riding a 250 2-stroke again, tho i'm having difficulty keeping to the 8300rpm running in rule. Especially having tasted the 8750ish boost from the YCCi. Its as addictive as crack (So i'm told!!)

I've already done the R&G tail tidy and flush indicator jobs, and plenty more mods to come.

But just have a couple of questions i hope someone can help with!

a- Where can i get a pair of pillion peg blank plates from?

b- Any tips on removing the cra99y big warning sticker on the tank? (So i can fit a tank pad) The clear film came off, leaving the white layer with the writing, which only comes off in microscopic bits!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ditto, I've taken the pillion pegs off but on the lookout for a blanking plate.. if they are available that is.

Any tips on removing the cra99y big warning sticker on the tank? (So i can fit a tank pad) The clear film came off, leaving the white layer with the writing, which only comes off in microscopic bits!!

1. Spritz the sticker and the area around it with a little WD-40. The WD combined with the heat will dissolve the adhesive along the edges of the sticker, making it easier to peel back.

2. Allow the WD to sit for a few moments, and then begin warming up the sticker and the immediate vicinity with a hairdryer. You don't need to get the area blistering hot, and remember, you are working with a painted surface. Overheating the area can cause the paint to soften, making it easier to scratch.

3. As the sticker warms up you'll feel the surface become more pliable. When it does, start at one corner and slowly and carefully peel up the edge.

4. As the sticker lifts, apply a little heat to the leading edge. If the sticker starts to melt, ease up the heat. If it tears at some point, don't panic—you can remove the remnants later.

5. Once the sticker has been removed, wash down any leftover adhesive with WD-40, then use a clean rag to wipe the residue away.

HTH :D

• 2 weeks later...

i'm having difficulty keeping to the 8300rpm running in rule.

dont worry about it, its better to use the revs now and then, and work through the gears,

just dont be trying to open it up from like 4thou in higher gears, just let it warm up nice, then keep it revving freely, take it through now and then its better if you do, the engine needs to rev now and then so that it beds in properly

they say 8 just so your not riding round at 16thou on the back wheel, but any decent yam mech will tell you to use the engine

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, its best to go up and down the revs while not over loading the engine, and dont wring it at full throttle thru the revs either ;)

Its VERY tempting to go past 10k which is where the REAL torque and acceleration comes in :o

I'll be trying that method with sticker very soon i think lol, its ugly and i need to get a tank protector :)

As for the blanking plates, theyre not available for the 08 model at the moment (dont know if they will be?) and the 06-07 ones are different and wont fit! Doh! Ive also taken mine off

Have a look on this forum too mate if interested R6 Forum

Now get it run in as soon as you can :D

• 1 month later...

Picked up my beautiful white 08 R6 last friday, having ridden a heavily modded Ducati M900 for the last few years, i'm in love!!! Like riding a 250 2-stroke again, tho i'm having difficulty keeping to the 8300rpm running in rule. Especially having tasted the 8750ish boost from the YCCi. Its as addictive as crack (So i'm told!!)

I've already done the R&G tail tidy and flush indicator jobs, and plenty more mods to come.

b- Any tips on removing the cra99y big warning sticker on the tank? (So i can fit a tank pad) The clear film came off, leaving the white layer with the writing, which only comes off in microscopic bits!!

Here is a tip on how to get that sticker off. I know it's a pain to take it of piece by piece but what i did to get mine off was take a wash cloth and soak it in really hot water and lay that over the sticker for a minute or so and then slowly start peeling it off. Now you dont want to use any kind of rough pad or cloth of sort because it will scratch the tank. After the Sticker is removed you are going to want to use a Cleaner Called "Goo Gone" it's a cleaner that takes of sticker resin and all sorts of other materials. It will not harm the bike in any way it will just remove all the leftover resin. I have the Same Bike an 08' R6 and i Love Mine..Clint

Just thought i'd update you peeps on how things are going................

Tank warning sticker off - resorted to Evo-stik adhesive remover, as had no joy with WD40 and hair dryer. Worked perfectly!! :lol:

Fitted an Akrapovic titanium megaphone and white single seat cover a couple of weeks ago.

Just (10 mins ago) fitted the white tail plastics from the blue model, as i didn't really like the matt black tail.

Very tempted to now go for an Abarth sticker kit.............

just got the 08 blue r6 (wicked bike) alot of things answered here so saved me asking

ive not done anything to mine yet other than removed sticker and added tank pad

but im dying to get rid of the rear plate and and indicator bracket (god it looks hideous)

still not sure what im going to do with it im still wondering wether to rush and get an exhaust as

i think it sounds really good as standard (could be better of course)

• 2 months later...

[i've already done the R&G tail tidy and flush indicator jobs, and plenty more mods to come.

Looking to get the indcator mods done but not sure where yet also have you any pics so i can check how it looks before getting it done?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

HAIRDRYER + 15 SECS

A- Bought my 2008 R6 in June, Tried to get blanking plates for pillion footrest from day one, was told by "YAMAHA" they would look into it.

Went to the NEC Bike show in December- Headed straight to the Yamaha Stand and spoke to one of their guys who informed me that "Yamaha" will NOT be making this part (something to do with fitting clearance) different design to that of the 06-07 model.

Anyway, as soon as i was told this info i headed straight for the POWERBRONZE stand and spoke to their MD about a possible gap in the market, He told me with absolute certainty these can be made and advised me e-mail their website

with this problem, Powerbronze have spoken to me in person and will look into this in the new year. all they need is an R6 08 to fabricate the plastics!!!!

Will post more news on this topic as soon as i hear from them.

if anyone needs/wants the blanks for the R6 2008 then let me know . i can get them ,painted and all . ready for mounting .

i live i denmark so if one could order and pay and then sell to the rest of you it would be the best .

let me know .

the price im not sure of yet but i think it will be 50 dollers pr set .

Ditto, I've taken the pillion pegs off but on the lookout for a blanking plate.. if they are available that is.

hi mate have a look on ebay under r6 motorcycle parts just puchased some my self not got round to fitting them yet,the seller is in england

I think this is the link, they look like push fit, let us know whether they are the same ones and how you get on with them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-R6-passenger-...A1%7C240%3A1318

just fitted them, they have 4 stickey pads quite a good fit. you have to remove both seats,top part of passenger and riders cowl to fit them in doesent take long hope this helps

just fitted them, they have 4 stickey pads quite a good fit. you have to remove both seats,top part of passenger and riders cowl to fit them in doesent take long hope this helps

Yeah cheers mate, sounds like the fitting is the same as 06/07 model, you had to take the same parts off to get to it.

Just ordered mine