Are voltage regulators the weak link in old XS bikes?

XSwheels
This post is 5895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I had to replace my voltage regulator in my 1977 XS360 and I know that Bralkan just replaced his. Is it just a coincidence that others also have charging problems? Now I realize these bikes are 25 to 35 years old, so maintenance and replacement is required, but is the VR as common a replacement for the XS as it is for the same year Suzuki GS series? The 70's and early 80's GS Suzuki is famous for its regulator/rectifier failures. History has proven the XS360/400 to be pretty good bikes but is it possible the regulator is the one common failure on these bikes?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had to replace my voltage regulator in my 1977 XS360 and I know that Bralkan just replaced his. Is it just a coincidence that others also have charging problems? Now I realize these bikes are 25 to 35 years old, so maintenance and replacement is required, but is the VR as common a replacement for the XS as it is for the same year Suzuki GS series? The 70's and early 80's GS Suzuki is famous for its regulator/rectifier failures. History has proven the XS360/400 to be pretty good bikes but is it possible the regulator is the one common failure on these bikes?

I think it's a common failure across any older motorcycle. I read through quite a few other forums for other bikes and the voltage regulator seems to be a common failure across any of the older bikes.

I think it's a common failure across any older motorcycle. I read through quite a few other forums for other bikes and the voltage regulator seems to be a common failure across any of the older bikes.

based on what little ive been able to find on the net about my bike (500), the charging system was the part that usually gave out first, and for the 500, it was one of the main reasons they halted production after only 4 or so years.

also, i have to keep an eye on cam chain tension (and the tensioner - im watching one on ebay right now), and mine has the original design of the head that is prone to cracking due to a minor design flaw that they fixed in later models.

as much of a pain in the ass as it usually tends to be, i like the fact that this bike is forcing me to learn to do my own work... its part of the reason i bought it (though it does suck to have to find replacement parts - the few i can find are expensive, for example, a NOS cam chain tensioner from an old stock dealer is $143).

good times :rolleyes:

the XS voltage regs are usually mechanical and switched by contacts (replaced by electronic in 1980). due to this and the bikes age I'm not suprised these go.

the suzuki GS series was different in that the 3 phase alternator powered separate electrical items rather than "pooling" the current. So that 1 phase ran only the lighting system, 1 for battery and the other for the rest.

because the lights wern't on all the time that part of the alternator got really hot and blew reg/recifier. the key was to keep your lights on !!!!

based on what little ive been able to find on the net about my bike (500), the charging system was the part that usually gave out first, and for the 500, it was one of the main reasons they halted production after only 4 or so years.

also, i have to keep an eye on cam chain tension (and the tensioner - im watching one on ebay right now), and mine has the original design of the head that is prone to cracking due to a minor design flaw that they fixed in later models.

as much of a pain in the ass as it usually tends to be, i like the fact that this bike is forcing me to learn to do my own work... its part of the reason i bought it (though it does suck to have to find replacement parts - the few i can find are expensive, for example, a NOS cam chain tensioner from an old stock dealer is $143).

good times :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips, I still bash my head into the wall for picking the 1975 XS500B as a bike to fool around on. It's currently stuck in the back of my storage while I work on the 1980 XS400SG. I figure the XS400 is a bit easier to work on so I can learn what I can off that and get it working and ride that while I work on the XS500 later.

Yeah, shit, I think I have a box full of oil filters I bought off ebay for the XS500. Not looking forward to buying more parts off ebay for the XS500.

Thanks for the tips, I still bash my head into the wall for picking the 1975 XS500B as a bike to fool around on. It's currently stuck in the back of my storage while I work on the 1980 XS400SG. I figure the XS400 is a bit easier to work on so I can learn what I can off that and get it working and ride that while I work on the XS500 later.

Yeah, shit, I think I have a box full of oil filters I bought off ebay for the XS500. Not looking forward to buying more parts off ebay for the XS500.

don't just rely on ebay. Yamaha dealers still have stock in.

BTW there is a Yamaha official conversion for the oil filter. it lets you use an oil filter for an XJ600.

you'll have to google it as thats all I know

im not sure on the xs 500 but this is what im running on my current xs 650 project, the whole setup is around 37.00, youve got to make a heat sinc for the the rectifiers but thats easy enough. its small and purty straight foward to set up.

It replaces the stock reg&rec shown is first pic top rite corner.

chargingsystem001640x480.jpg

wiring002.jpg

I had to replace my voltage regulator in my 1977 XS360 and I know that Bralkan just replaced his. Is it just a coincidence that others also have charging problems?

:) hi, I have a 1977 XS500 with 3, 473 original miles I purchased recently. I'm new to the bike and I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible.

Can someone share the info on how I can go about checking the voltage regulator if it's working properly. Would I need to perform a volt meter test ??

I've have a brand new Bikemaster sealed gel battery (12v 14ah 200 crank) and a Battery Tender plus connected to it when it's not ridden.

:) hi, I have a 1977 XS500 with 3, 473 original miles I purchased recently. I'm new to the bike and I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible.

Can someone share the info on how I can go about checking the voltage regulator if it's working properly. Would I need to perform a volt meter test ??

I've have a brand new Bikemaster sealed gel battery (12v 14ah 200 crank) and a Battery Tender plus connected to it when it's not ridden.

As far as I know, as long as you get ~14.5 volts across the battery terminals at about 3k rpms you should be ok.

If not, it could be the voltage reg (you should have a mechanical one you can try adjusting) or it is the stator / field coil.

That is, from my limited experience. Someone more knowledgeable should respond.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online