Rattle on tick over

bazza
This post is 5893 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, my R6 has developed a rattle on tick over, it sounds like a you are shaking a bolt in an empty tin can (probably not as quite as bad as that to be fair)! As soon as the revs pick up it goes it's just on idle? It's difficult to say exactly where it's coming from but is certainly not affecting the riding or performance.

Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all, my R6 has developed a rattle on tick over, it sounds like a you are shaking a bolt in an empty tin can (probably not as quite as bad as that to be fair)! As soon as the revs pick up it goes it's just on idle? It's difficult to say exactly where it's coming from but is certainly not affecting the riding or performance.

Any ideas? hi there/ sounds like small end bearing . :( but get a pro. to listen to it . will run like that for awhile.

wudna panic. :)

More likely to be cam chain tensioner. :angry: they go quieter once the revs rise as faster chain speed throws a bigger arc and takes up the slack.

Get some one who`s good to have a listen before too many more miles, if whatever it is lets go it could be very costly once its gone totally tits up. And you do not want it to let go at 13000 revs!

More likely to be cam chain tensioner. :angry: they go quieter once the revs rise as faster chain speed throws a bigger arc and takes up the slack.

Get some one who`s good to have a listen before too many more miles, if whatever it is lets go it could be very costly once its gone totally tits up. And you do not want it to let go at 13000 revs!

Agree with the first reply, but may also be be your starter motor? Which would be the best place to start i think? Could be the spring that is not retracting the the cog?

Regards

Stacy R6 MPJ

dont know about R6s, btu the 1002cc exup engine is rattly at idle due to the starter chain and theres very little can be done apart from a rebuild-but its not serious anyway, just makes the bike sound a bit shit.

I1ll have a £1 each way on the cam chain tensioner :D

R1evad ; :lol: if u lose bet u gota ride thru herts naked at midnight. :D WE ALL WAITING THE DEALERS REPORT NOW :lol::D

R1evad ; :lol: if u lose bet u gota ride thru herts naked at midnight. :D WE ALL WAITING THE DEALERS REPORT NOW :lol::D

HAHA, whatever the dealer says to me i'm tempted to say it wasn't the Cam now!

You do know that evad is DAVE spelt backwards :blink:

Me doing anything naked is a sight sure to scare the horses and children, let alone riding through the County ;)

Will be pleased to hear the fault is something minor all the same B)

A bit of a disappointing end to the mystery rattle guys, the mechanic gave the whole bike a once over and said there is nothing wrong with it at all but he couldn't tell me what was causing the rattle, all my suggestions as to what it could have been (with the help of you guys) he dismissed!

R1evad your modesty remains in tact.

A bit of a disappointing end to the mystery rattle guys, the mechanic gave the whole bike a once over and said there is nothing wrong with it at all but he couldn't tell me what was causing the rattle, all my suggestions as to what it could have been (with the help of you guys) he dismissed!

R1evad your modesty remains in tact.

BOO HISS :lol: Had planned a trip to Hants this wkend :D ur out of jail Dave :(

And sounds like cud b that tapit right enuff. [ not bettin tho might end up like R1EVAD. :unsure: ]

Right what you do now is buy some new oil (try a slightly thicker grade) and a filter, take the bike out at the weekend and get it really hot. A tankfull at full chat should do it ;)

Get back home, change the oil and filter, (mind you don`t burn your hands) then run it up, if it was anything a bit sticky that will probably cure it, if makes no difference, at least you`e got you oil sorted for the summer :D

I`ll get me coat :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online