99% Finished - My Yamaha Monster!

BuffCyclist
This post is 4983 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So after about 4 hours of working this morning, 5 separate trips to different stores for giant sockets, nuts/bolts/washers, I just finished putting it all together! I originally was just going for a naked look, but then it turned out to look more like a Ducati Monster (in my opinion and a few others' too). Now I just need a kickass name for it, that rivals Monster. Opinions?

This is how it started:

n10203501_36839408_779.jpg

And here is how it looks now:

n10203501_37670012_7187.jpg

n10203501_37670013_7488.jpg

n10203501_37670014_7756.jpg

Eventually I will be painting the brass strips holding the gauge cluster black, or maybe some other funky color. As well as moving the cluster down further in attempts to hide the wires better.

Overall, it turned out quite well.

Cost:

Headlight: $54.99

Headlight Mount: $34.99 (plus new rubbers for my fork at $12.99)

Cluster: $75

Brass strips, bolts and nuts: $11.87

Grand total: $189.84

If anyone wants full details of where I got things, links, how difficult and how I installed things, I can post anything, just ask.

I took it out for a ride after I completed it, and I have to say that it is a totally different bike! It feels quicker off the line (the fairing acted as a huge spoiler, kept the front end down and caused a lot of drag). It sounds different, since before I had a serious rattling noise from the fairing on the frame and now its just exhaust. I've already been told that it looks like a Ducati Monster, once by a friend and the other was when I stopped for lunch on my way home from test riding it. Some guy saw me getting on it and asked if it was a Ducati...then noticed the Yamaha decal on the gas tank and got really confused. Thats when I told him what I did to it.

Let me know what ya think!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice job youve done, you not find it a bit windy now without the screen though? Ive a 600 kwak thats street fightered and I find it alittle blowy over 60 uptill 120 then it calms down. Looks well, andyes a touch of the monster in it without the crap build quality of ducati. Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job youve done, you not find it a bit windy now without the screen though? Ive a 600 kwak thats street fightered and I find it alittle blowy over 60 uptill 120 then it calms down. Looks well, andyes a touch of the monster in it without the crap build quality of ducati. Nice.

Since I did the conversion, I have gotten out 2 times to ride it (due to cold and snowy weather). But I did get it up to 65mph and even sitting rather straight up didn't have any major problems with it. Although eventually, I plan to install a Givi windscreen (very small, just to cover the gap between the wires and headlight better), and from what I hear that will help with the wind a bit.

Other than that, I am incredibly pleased with it and love it to death! Still trying to come up with a unique name for it...opinions?

• 3 weeks later...

i'm doing something similar with my fz600,

what did you do exactly to mount the gauges?

also, how are the turn signals attached?

To mount the gauges, I just took 2, roughly 10 inch strips of brass (but aluminum would have been easier to work with). I drilled a hole at one end to fit through the headlight mount bolts and then mounted them. Next, I figured out approximately how high I wanted the gauges to be, then marked where I was going to bend the brass.

I took the strips off the bike, and cut about an inch longer than where I marked it, and then bent the brass, then drilled a hole. Since the strips of brass are pliable, I simply pulled them away from the center of the headlight once remounted to get the cluster to fit onto them.

Since I have posted originally, I have wrapped the strips in electrical tape to make them dark until I have the time to remake them in much nicer condition and paint those. Also, a bit of warning:

DO NOT BUY THE HEADLIGHT I BOUGHT, AT LEAST NOT IN PLASTIC!

I hit a bump the other night, and both sides of the headlight bucket where it mounts, broke. It is barely held on right now, and now I have to spend another ~$70 to replace it, but I'll be doing metal this time around.

The turn signals are just mounted to the headlight brackets. They didn't have a hole for them, but I just drilled into the center of the brackets and made them fit, it works wonderfully. Here are a couple closer up pics of the mounts and front end.

n10203501_37760267_5747.jpg

n10203501_37760274_4613.jpg

• 3 months later...

To mount the gauges, I just took 2, roughly 10 inch strips of brass (but aluminum would have been easier to work with). I drilled a hole at one end to fit through the headlight mount bolts and then mounted them. Next, I figured out approximately how high I wanted the gauges to be, then marked where I was going to bend the brass.

I took the strips off the bike, and cut about an inch longer than where I marked it, and then bent the brass, then drilled a hole. Since the strips of brass are pliable, I simply pulled them away from the center of the headlight once remounted to get the cluster to fit onto them.

Since I have posted originally, I have wrapped the strips in electrical tape to make them dark until I have the time to remake them in much nicer condition and paint those. Also, a bit of warning:

DO NOT BUY THE HEADLIGHT I BOUGHT, AT LEAST NOT IN PLASTIC!

I hit a bump the other night, and both sides of the headlight bucket where it mounts, broke. It is barely held on right now, and now I have to spend another ~$70 to replace it, but I'll be doing metal this time around.

The turn signals are just mounted to the headlight brackets. They didn't have a hole for them, but I just drilled into the center of the brackets and made them fit, it works wonderfully. Here are a couple closer up pics of the mounts and front end.

n10203501_37760267_5747.jpg

n10203501_37760274_4613.jpg

Great Bike

That looks very nice indeed. You've done a great job on her. :D

And we all know that REAL men ride naked..........*snigger* ;)

Not bad. Not bad at all. A decent-looking bike, built cheap as chips.

.....And we all know that REAL men ride naked..........*snigger* ;)

The wise words of the (apparently) Forum flirt?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I'm Ronald from the Netherlands and what I really want is to convert my XJ600S to a XJ600N(aked)...

Maybe you can help me further with some things as what parts to order and the howto of how you managed to convert your bike. If it's possible could you please send me some detailed pictures?

My emailadres is [email protected]

Thank you in advance!

Ronald

Yeah, I can only see the standard yellow Diversion at the the top.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Could you please send the "after" pics to my email? [email protected] It's not loading and this is something I REALLY want to do. It's the reason for joining this forum! Question: did this help with the "buzziness" that's all too familiar with Secas?

• 2 months later...

Like most other posts on here, I can only see the top picture of the stock bike. I have been looking to do the same to my 92 xj600. Pictures and any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Stevan Brown

stevan.w.brown@gmail(dot)com

This post is 4983 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.