new rider

pnoidrummer
This post is 6046 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

what is tank slapping...? ur friends friend sided? or slid into a truck?

This is an example of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Kvq7h0sK4. Basically your handle bars go from all the way right to left or left to right and it does it really fast and usualy results in you flying off the bike. Most of the time it happens from someone doing a wheelie for so long that their front tire is no longer spinning or is spinning much slower than the bike. If you land a little off your tire acts like a brake and you basically are screwed.

When you accelerate and are say slightly turned and your front tire gets light you'll sometimes feel the bars wobble some. When you feel that imagine that going from one side of your tank to the next.

The guy who was killed high siding was riding around a turn and I think maybe slid some (Guy was 19 and first bike was I think an R1) or spun the rear tire. And trying to correct it the bike's tires caught pavement and launched him into the front of a truck. Except the bike corrected it's self and I think went harmlessy into some grass and came out with minor damage.

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWWuW4U73s. It happens around 1:40seconds or so. Plus I think the bike was an R6.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh shiiit... that kinda scared me... waht causes hisides anyway, casue of the bike about to slip, then it grabs the concrete?

so correcting is not such a good idea then i'm guessing.

frick , that story about hisiding then hitting a truck kinda freaked me out. but what caused him to hiside? over throttling exiting the turn?

oh shiiit... that kinda scared me... waht causes hisides anyway, casue of the bike about to slip, then it grabs the concrete?

so correcting is not such a good idea then i'm guessing.

frick , that story about hisiding then hitting a truck kinda freaked me out. but what caused him to hiside? over throttling exiting the turn?

there are lots of ways to high side. skidding the rear tire, and then releasing the brake with the rear tire out of line with the front will cause it to regain traction violently and return to the correct path of travel, but it will often over correct. the movement is violent enough that you can be thrown from the bike. mostly, it is caused by a loss of traction followed by an overcorrection which puts the tires out of line... the bikes normal inclination is to follow a straight line because of its forward momentum/gyroscopic motion of the tires and engine.... so when it tries to get back there, you can get tossed over the high side. i nearly did it the other day when i hit a patch of sand on a twisty mountain road. you just have to be careful and know the limits of your bike and yourself. even professional riders can get caught off guard and thrown. buy a used bike :)

Guest Brian Bonner

You really should take a motorcycle class, they'll cover this stuff. You never want to brake when going into a turn because that'll take up what they call all "available friction". Your wheels only have a certain amount of friction/power to provide, and you can go past that limit. I think somebody else is going to have to explain this since I've got the concept in my head but I don't know how to write it out in a coherent way.

when i mentioned the back tire skidding, i was talking about over braking when moving in a straight line.

now, as far as what brian said, let me try to help out.

your tires contacting the road can only create so much friction.

as you go into a corner, all of the friction that your tires and the weight of your bike create is being used to keep the tires from sliding out from under the bike, causing the bike to tip over.

now, if 100% of your tire friction is being used to corner the bike, applying the brakes to slow the bike takes up a portion of that friction. so, maybe your tires are using 75% of their friction to hold the bike in the turn, and 25% is being used to slow the bike, basically, force is being directed to the side (keeping the bike cornering) and is pushing the bike backwards (slowing). you now have less friction being used to keep the bike cornering, so you risk having the tires slide out (particularly the rear tire). the tighter the corner, and the faster you are going, the more important that you have all possible friction being used to keep the bike cornering. in a fast hairpin curve, applying very little brake could cause the bike to slide out. on a slow, sweeping curve, you may be able to apply nearly full brakes before the tires lose traction.

basically, avoid using the brakes or removing power from the back wheel whenever possible in a corner. if you find yourself going too wide into a corner, push further in and slowly/gently roll on more throttle. i think i mentioned this before, but in my rider training class, we were told that nearly half of all fatal motorcycle accidents in the US are caused when someone goes wide in a corner, or loses traction in a corner due to operator error(brakes) or something like gravel in the path of travel.

you really should take a rider's safety course.

They say brake in accelerate out. This means that to avoid balence problems you should enter a bend after braking to be able to accelerate through and out of the bend so to keep from these problems.

It an easier way to describe a way to stop high sides.

They say brake in accelerate out. This means that to avoid balence problems you should enter a bend after braking to be able to accelerate through and out of the bend so to keep from these problems.

It an easier way to describe a way to stop high sides.

As above,but the further ahead you can read the road the better you can take the twisties,try and be smooth with sustained speed and not so on and off with the throttle and brakes(the further you lean the less you can brake),it'll make you more relaxed and controlled which in turn will make you faster and safer,enjoy practising :lol: I do(for the past 25 years),keep it rubber side down,

Andy

I love this forum...everyone all getting-together to help out us nooobs ...

anyways ya I bought a thundercat as my first bike its a 2006 yzf 600r ... my buddy has a r6...my other buddy has a gixxer 1000

we all come up to the line ... we gun it.... and amazingly enough we all stay in line until about 9.5k 10 k rpms 2nd gear and then i drop back... my buddy with the r6 stays with the gixxer till 4th gear then the gixxer pulls away.... my friends took the bikes to the track and they raced..the funny part was taht my friend with the r6 could keep up with the gixxer if/when he would get into 10.5 11 k rpms.... thats were tha r6's power is.... higher rpms

oh yea and for insurance i got just liability on my 600r costing 263 a year...AAANDDD its financed...i dont know if they are gonna come for me later but i got progressive for 263 a year... HOWEVER although im new to riding i told them i had 5 years experience hahahah stupid yanks (yes im american but i appreciate the foreign influence on this site lol) that might have dropped it down considerably but im not sure... and i jsut moved from ny to cali so they couldnt check i dont think...

all in all i got a 600cc bike as my first, financed and insured and im happily ever after... till my 6 months is up then im trading up mahahahahaha

I asked a question on another forum about what to do if you are crashing or to avoid a crash. Here is what everyone said and I think there is some good advice...

http://www.twowheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=21747

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online