new rider

pnoidrummer
This post is 6053 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If you don't have credit you can usually get a $1000 starter loan and buy a cheap used bike. That's what I did. I got a $1000 loan and paid $500 more of cash I got a motorcycle. Even your older bikes are still quick and fast enough to scare the poop out of you or kill you even.

Yeah it's not as "Cool" as an R6 or an R1 but you'll be safer on it because it has less power and the bikes are more forgiving. If your main concern is what others will think of you then you have no business on a bike. I ride in a group that consists of 2 Yamaha R1s, Honda CBR1000 Repsol(God I want to have sex with that bike), Honda CBR929, Kawasaki ZX-9r, and a Suzuki Hyabusa. I'm on a 70hp Yamaha SecaII meaning every bike has twice as much HP as me. But they are a good group who looks out for each other and will say "Riding is riding no matter what you are riding". They couldn't care less what you ride.

I know you can find mid90s CBR600s for $2k all day long. Those are 150mph capable bikes and still look decent. I saw a 1996 GSXR 750 for $2000 in good condition. Still a fast bike.

Plus with a cheap $2k bike you can pay cash and only have to pay Liability which comes out to basically for most bikes $100 a year. And WHEN YOU DO lay your bike down you won't be as mad at the damage on it.

So I'd hit up craigs list and just look for motorcycles for around $2000. Infact I'd look into the Suzuki SV650. They go for around $2500(Naked) and the SV650s(Top ferrings) go for around $3k and are good fast bikes.

If you are concerned about how girls look at your bike. Most girls can't tell the difference between a 1990 CBR600 or a 2008 Yamaha R1. They just know it looks sporty and cool.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha thanks thanks! i'm for the ride, and the look. well the look is for me not for other ppl to look at haha. xD i'm weird that way i guess. but that's a good idea. sliders don't exactly protect ur bike completely haha. and i guess it's good to learn on as well as prolly use it for that police training class for bikes too.

what do u mean liability? i'm new to this insurance deal

Sorry to hijack the thread (for the last time) but TALL GUY hello, girlierider!!!!!!!!! Doh :D

Pnoidrummer: Good luck with the finances and insurances, bit of a 'mare in the US I know. I can seriously sympathise on the credit thing, hubby had to own the family car for the very first time when we lived in LA (usually I own the cars and he owns the bikes except now I've got a bike too, YIPPEE) 'cos at first I didn't even qualify for a social security number. Ouch, talk about feeling left out of society :huh:

I really hope you do get out on 2 wheels 'cos the very fact that you've taken the trouble to ask all these very sensible questions leads me to think your head's on the right way and you could become a very good rider and have a heap of fun along the way :lol:

Best regards.

Amanda

what do u mean liability? i'm new to this insurance deal

Liability is the minimum insurance coverage you can get. What it does is covers the costs to other people's vehicles if YOU cause an accident. Say you run into the back of a Honda Accord on your bike. Your insurance will pay for the person's vehicle that you hit. But not your bike. If you hit a deer with your bike your insurance won't cover it. It will only cover other people that you hit.

Same goes if someone hits you. THEIR insurance company will cover the cost of the bike.

I have straight liability with a 25,000/50,000 medical coverage. If I wreck and I am injured my insurance will cover up to $25,000 in medical bills. Or if I injure someone else they'll cover up to $50,000 in medical bills for that person. With liability and medical it costs me $188 a year. It was $107 without medical.

But if you are making payments on a bike you have to by law pay full coverage. Because in order to get a loan a loan company is going to hold on to the Title of the motorcycle. That way they can reposes it if you fail to make payments. Or if you total it out the loan company can be compisated for the loss. Those can be very expensive. I was going to get a brand new FZ6 from Yamaha. My insurance payments would have been $250 a month. I think that was more than my bike payments. And then get a R6 or some kind of 1000 and your insurance rates will be through the roof.

Getting a used bike for cheap is the best thing you can do. Because I can wreck the bike and not have a care in the world (Providing I'm not dead).

Hurrah for atlantasmittie84, bloomin good explanation of the more complex insurance setup over the pond :D

To introduce a bit of mischief if you lot hadn't started suing the socks off each other your insurance might not now be quite so complicated and expensive :blink: The joys we may have to come, well we Brits generally end up following you one way or another ;)

I know, the door's that way, I'm going :rolleyes:

To introduce a bit of mischief if you lot hadn't started suing the socks off each other your insurance might not now be quite so complicated and expensive :

Luckily for us Motorcycle riders all the drivers here in the States have their cell phones stuck so far up their ass while they text message their IDK my BFF Jill that when there are motorcycle and vehicle accidents we are usually killed and can't be sued. So booya!!! We Win by Default!!!

awesome thanks guys!

quick question. for new riders, how much rough estimate would insurance cost? i'm new to insurance as well. well i mean in setting it up for myself i've never done it. and not sure what the terms mean. i went to AAA.com put it for an r6 and r6s. i think imma grab one of those two to learn on. mainly cause i can't get a cheap one then drop it to buy another. i'm just gonna be super cautious really. i doubt i'll even go on streets for a while until i get a handle on it. thsi isn't really a means for transportation for me, but just the enjoyment of riding. but anyway i went to get a qutoe, and i just left it as is, like the standard options and it was about 7-8k per year... my bike payments are gonna be for a span of either 2-3 years. and the cost of insurance for me anyway is already the cost of my bike.

I'm 17 and got an R1 a couple week sago and my insurance with state farm is 2500 a year.

ohhh shiiii*******t 2500 per year? i really want a 2003 r1, it satisfies the look of the bike i want haha. but i don't exactly want to kill myself and/or drop it... i heard tho that r6 is about as fast as an r1 off the line, but at higher mph, is when the liters of the r1 really show. is that true? cause i'm not really into going over 100 mph or anything... haha.

thanks for the explainations on everything guys. xD i was wondering though, what if i got a used bike let's say an r1... (eheheh) would insurance be lower becasue it's now a loan thru a bank? or would it still be high becasue it's an r1. if so then i'll just get a used r6 til the 09' comes out, i'm anxious to see what it'll look like haha

ohhh shiiii*******t 2500 per year? i really want a 2003 r1, it satisfies the look of the bike i want haha. but i don't exactly want to kill myself and/or drop it... i heard tho that r6 is about as fast as an r1 off the line, but at higher mph, is when the liters of the r1 really show. is that true? cause i'm not really into going over 100 mph or anything... haha.

thanks for the explainations on everything guys. xD i was wondering though, what if i got a used bike let's say an r1... (eheheh) would insurance be lower becasue it's now a loan thru a bank? or would it still be high becasue it's an r1. if so then i'll just get a used r6 til the 09' comes out, i'm anxious to see what it'll look like haha

any bike, especially a sport bike like an r6 or an r1 is going to be incredibly expensive for insurance purposes if you purchase it new and have to make payments, for a number of reasons.

1) if you have to get a loan, you are required (as stated above) to have full coverage (if the bike is destroyed, the bike gets paid off, even if its your own fault).

2) sport bikes are (like sport cars) more expensive to insure, simply because people are statistically more likely to wreck them doing stupid things. they are high performance machines, designed to travel at high rates of speed, and due to this, insurance companies charge higher rates.

3) If you can swing it, get a used bike so that when you drop it, knock it over, go wide in a turn, hit gravel/a deer/a turkey (almost happened to me the other day, turkey that is) you already have it paid off, and you can chalk it up to a learning experience. if you can pay the bike off, you dont have to pay for full coverage insurance. The nice thing about being able to purchase my bike outright was that i can decide to have bare bones liability on my bike. also, since its not a sport bike, its less expensive to insure.

4) age will work against you here. the 2 main reasons that his insurance is 2500 a year are a hes only 17, and statistically males between 16 and 25 are more likely to die in auto accidents across the board (drivers ed factoid). and B hes riding an r1, a bike that is designed to go very fast. he would have high insurance too if he was driving a sports car. at $200+ a month in insurance, im guessing that he also had to take out a loan to get this bike or at least has full coverage just in case.

basically, my advice is this... purchase the bike that you like, but learn its weaknesses. purchase a used bike so that you can get liability coverage on it and save yourself some cash. if you get liability though, make sure that you get the uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage, as well as the normal bodily injury coverage. mine is 50,000 per person, up to 100,000 per accident. i dont have any coverage that replaces or fixes the bike if it is my fault, only stuff that fixes me.

the best insurance is the stuff you protect with your helmet. use your head and you should be ok. get a bike that fits your skill level and needs, get good protective gear, and most of all, stay alert. being aware of whats going on around you and what might happen in the next few seconds will save your ass more often than the best protective gear money can buy.

/end sermon

Guest Brian Bonner

Yippee, we win ;)

Let us know how you get on/what you choose.

Big cheesy grin comes free of charge with a bike you can handle without wiping yourself out the first time you venture out onto them there dodgy streets :D

Be safe, and ENJOY!

Amanda

Hmm, so you're saying that my motorcycle was the one that had the dodgy grin not me? <_< The first time I went out for a ride on the streets, it stalled at a light, and died about a mile or two down the road. Got it started and carefully puttered my way back to the garage. Second time I went out after religiously looking over the whole thing again, it died about 5 miles out and I got a ride back with a friend and picked it up with a trailer.

Now that I think about it, I wonder that after taking the MSF course, I wonder if it'd think I'm smart enough to ride it and it'll go more than 5 miles this time? :lol:

Guest Brian Bonner

thank you sir. that helps a lot =D

Thank you everyone !! hopefully i'll be out there soon =] and that i'll survive the first 6 months

:lol: My last post sounds a lot worse than it really is. It's been a fun mix of learning how to ride and how to fix motorcycles. I'm a better rider than I am at fixing motorcycles unfortunately! Don't use my example to make your decisions! ;)

R1s are sweet and very tempting to get. Especially since all your friends say you should get one (Despite they don't have one). However I talked to a guy at a Yamaha dealership about the R1s. He said that around 80% of the R1s that they sell to someone under 25 come back wrecked or totalled. Mainly from doing accidental wheelies.

oh goodie. accidental wheelies... not my kind of bread... i'll go with an r6 then haha, and start of really really slow... i know someone who fell on a gxsr 750. it was from nto seeing a slick sewer cover. the bike got banged up pretty well as well as the rider.

is it possible to correct urself once u slip? or not really huh? cause once u correct urself from that quick slip, the tires get grip the second after an can make u flip the other side... iono i'm just thinking of it logically

Not really sure how to correct a slide. I've done it a few times but did okay. I think that was from years of BMX and Mountain Bike racing which despite it's not as heavy or powerful I got use to correcting slides. Which usually involved just riding it out. Your dirt bike riders will know better than I will.

One of my friend's riding buddies got killed when he high sided right into a truck in the other lane. I think he was on a R1. The bike came out okay.

What really gets you is tank slapping. There really is no way out of that. I've heard some people say to loosen your grip and hit the gas but I've rarely seen or heard of someone coming out of it.