Used and Abused?

Matt Hillyard
This post is 6160 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I thought it might be handy to have some areas where people can put their own reviews across on certain parts that relate to Yamaha Sports bikes.

I thought i would start of on tyres as my rear is almost shot and about time to replace.

I have used the Dunlop 208's that came on the R6 originally and the Dunlop rear as used on the 2007 model but they just dont seem ot wear too well.

I have now switched to a Michelin Pilot Power on the front and going to try one on the rear and so far the front has performed amazingly they give loads of grip and confidence that i never got from the dunlop front. Am not sure about wear yet but we'll see how long it lasts!

Ive also heard good things about the Bridgestone BT14's anybody used them???

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I thought it might be handy to have some areas where people can put their own reviews across on certain parts that relate to Yamaha Sports bikes.

I thought i would start of on tyres as my rear is almost shot and about time to replace.

I have used the Dunlop 208's that came on the R6 originally and the Dunlop rear as used on the 2007 model but they just dont seem ot wear too well.

I have now switched to a Michelin Pilot Power on the front and going to try one on the rear and so far the front has performed amazingly they give loads of grip and confidence that i never got from the dunlop front. Am not sure about wear yet but we'll see how long it lasts!

Ive also heard good things about the Bridgestone BT14's anybody used them???

This is gonna sound strange to those whom have not heard of these, but Tomahawk tyres!! they are the ones who came out years ago with the first ever remould tyres... i know this sounds like suicide but i used to race with there tyres and i came 2nd in the 1300 open novice Championship with the Derby Phoenix on these little beauties. a rear tyre would cost me about £60!! and you could choose which carcas you wanted to use.. i.e michelin pilot sport, or bridgestone 010's or dunlop 207gp etc. Then they put on thier rubber.. which they get from Avon and you can choose the compound. i Used to have michelin carcases with there stickiest compound (which was essentialy a qualifiying tyre). My bike would do 170+ in a strait line and they have no probs with them at all! they even do tyres for V-max's.. so don't worry about them coming apart cause they never have yet! they even do coloured tyres :blink:

P.s. i get nothing from telling you this as i haven't race for about 3 years and haven't spoke to them since then.

They geniunely are great tyres- front and back. give them a look up on the internet. Dave. :D:D:D

I belive they got the technology from retreading aircraft tyres, so its tried and tested.

wow, well i never thought that would be an option but i guess if its been tried adn tested and can withstand the abuse of racing it cant be that bad!!!

What has everyone else tried?!?!?

I had pilot powers on my r6 they are the sex. When you get the rear you'll notice the bike will turn in quicker yet be more stable in a corner because they have a different profile to other tyres. They don't last a great amount of time though, but id rather have grip over mileage.

Regards

i had dunlops 207rr and 208rr's on my old ducati, crashed twice, never felt confident pushing the bike with these on. Then I put the Michelin Pilot Powers 2ct on the R1 last season, awesome tyre, great grip, excellent turn in, and well stable on lean, not great mileage and a bit on the expensive side, but its the only thing connecting the bike to the road, so well worth the money, keeping the black sticky side down ;) .!!!!!!!!

Now ive got Michelin Pilot Races on it now, cant rave about these enough, better than the Powers, you can feel everthing on the road, put a 180 on the back, now the thing can turn on a penny...........wicked

Its pretty much all down to personal preference though, thats my 2p's worth anyway..... lol

Steve

Cheers Steve, i am looking forward to getting the rear and might have to aid its arrival by smoking more than a 20pack! lol

On serious note though what sort of mileage did you get out the michelins??

Cheers Steve, i am looking forward to getting the rear and might have to aid its arrival by smoking more than a 20pack! lol

With mine I had around 4000 miles out of the back the front was only half worn though.

Thats about what ive got from the Dunlop and they are squaring off really badly from the dual carriage way miles!!

Thats why i think the 2CT might really be benificial!

I got about 3k out of mine, but that includes a track day as well.

The double compound does make a diff, you wont go wrong with these............. If you can try and keep the matching set on (again personal preference)

Hope you get sorted mate, let us know what ya think

Steve

Yeah i would never not have a matching set if i can help it it was unfortunate that the tyres wore at different rates!

I checked it last night and i think that the rear is definately on the way out, i think a new tyre is going to be on order tomorrow for me along with a few other bits to spruce up the look of the R6 a bit!

Anybody tried Bridgestones???

I recently got a set of Pilot Powers on my Cat. Can't say a bad thing about them to be honest. They hardly need warming up and seem to handle straight runs pretty well in terms of squaring off. I suppose the only downside is that all my shoes are wearing out really fast due to the amount of lean you get.

hahaha,

Ive heard that they are superb for lean angle due to the profile of the rear!!

I cant wait to get mine on and get it worn in!!! :D

Does anyone know if the 2CT are harder in the middle to stop the squaring or not?

I recently got a set of Pilot Powers on my Cat. Can't say a bad thing about them to be honest. They hardly need warming up and seem to handle straight runs pretty well in terms of squaring off. I suppose the only downside is that all my shoes are wearing out really fast due to the amount of lean you get.

What's the wear rate like?

Does anyone know if the 2CT are harder in the middle to stop the squaring or not?

As far as I know the 2CT's are an even softer compound made predominantly for bikes that are used a lot for track day use. This doesn't mean they are useless on the road though.

One thing about normal Pilot Powers in the rain they can take a fair amount of time to warm up, still a great tyre.

ahhh ok so it might be better just to stick with the normal pilot power may be best!

I am not sure on the wear rate, i shall tell you when ive got through it! lol

I would imagine anywhere in the region of 3-5k a rear.

YES they are, the 2CT stands for 2 compound technology, they are softer on the shoulders and slightly harder in the middle to stop the squaring off.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online