8 weeks and no problems.........until now.

This post is 2951 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After having roughly a billion problems with my Yamaha xvs 125, I got it fixed and has been riding a dream lately....until now. The last two mornings when I've tried the ignition the battery has died about 2 seconds after pressing it and I've had to resort to bump starting it. I put a new battery in roughly 7 weeks ago(2800miles ago) and I ride it daily. Later on in the day after riding 30ish miles I can start it up no problem using the ignition but the charge just seems to run out overnight for some reason. Have I been sold a dodgy battery or is something mote sinister going down, any clues I'd appreciate. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like the battery charging system is at fault .. this would answer the point that a 7 week old battery failed ... it was not being charged and died ! 

I'm thinking it's maybe a short cause if it was a charging component that was buggered  it would need bumped later on in the day as well but it's just in the mornings after not riding for 8/9 hours. I don't know shit about the electrics guess it's a visit to the garage damnit

get a multimeter from maplins ands check you have 14v+ at 3k rpm. if its 12- 13v then your not charging.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2016 at 6:01 PM, stevie-boy-smith-jrII said:

I'm thinking it's maybe a short cause if it was a charging component that was buggered  it would need bumped later on in the day as well but it's just in the mornings after not riding for 8/9 hours. I don't know shit about the electrics guess it's a visit to the garage damnit

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It'd be like givin em a blank cheque

Take Drewpys advice, and have a look here

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

That walkthrough looks complicated as shit lol I'm only beginning to use a multimeter, here's what i know so far ..

At a standstill my bike reads 11.8v, when I turn the key to turn electrics on, it drops to 10.8 n slowly starts dropping, when I try to spark it it drops to 4.summit,, bike can't start on 4. So battery dies n then creeps up to 10.1 around 2 seconds after releasing ignition and when I take the key out it creeps back up to 11.

I'm gonna give the walkthrough a bash 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online