Hello

WillyBeez
This post is 2961 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello. I'm Will, just bought my first bike . DT 125LC. It's a French import 1987. I'm a complete beginner!!

Everything seems ok with the bike so far I haven't got a helmet yet so have only been able to spin in round the block.

Any advise in getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Will, well as it's a 125 your not going to need a power ranger suit, so a decent jacket good all weather gloves and a modern but not to cheap helmet, if your head is worth £20 buy a £20 helmet but if it's worth more than that spend around the £100 to £150 range do you want full face - open face or flip front? Do you have the manual for your bike? Cos if your servicing it yourself you will need that, how are you with the mechanical side of things? Can you tell one end of a spanner from another? You have loads to learn and this is the right place to start, loads of guys and girls on here who own or have owned a 125 and they like helping out new people. Good luck with your bike mate just be aware that it's fun but it's also dangerous but the first time you filter past all the cars stopped in traffic your will have an ear to ear grin. :D

• Like 3

Hi Will, welcome. Not to be the kill joy, I have certainly been tempted on a hot day.. but even a quick spin round the block on a 125 without a helmet is risky - (head meets pavement etc) and probably worse is the ridiculous fines imposed if you are caught without one..(up to £2000 I think I read?)

Malleus. it's a fixed penalty notice, £30 fine same as not wearing a seat belt.

48 minutes ago, slice said:

Hi Will, well as it's a 125 your not going to need a power ranger suit, so a descent jacket good all weather gloves and a modern but not to cheap helmet, 

Its all downhill from there  ;) ;)

Seriously, listen to Slice and have a safe happy lifetime on bikes

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, slice said:

Malleus. it's a fixed penalty notice, £30 fine same as not wearing a seat belt.

Oh well - have at it then!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10905615/Why-I-miss-riding-a-motorbike-without-a-helmet.html remembered where I read it - interesting read overall - but I obviously did not remember the 'magistrates may soon be able to fine up to £2000)

• Like 1

In the 80s took my new bike for a spin when my parents were at work. No provisional borrowed my mates helmet. Came off it due to inexperience. Destroyed my mates helmet a front rim buckled and tyre marks across my school shirt where it landed on top of me. I cringe now what could have happened. 

Regards Simon 

• Like 2

I remember borrowing a mate's dad's brand new Shoei Gardner Replica lid to go pick up a young lady friend . I never made it . It was drizzling slightly and I hit a strip of overbanding on a bend . Gamearrow-10x10.png over , Gardner rep destroyed and one pissed off mate's dad . Not a mark on my own crappy lid though . 

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online