New biker

Got_mitch
This post is 6210 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well my 1st road bike just happens to be the new 2006 R1, went over board for a 1st time owner, but i thought what the heck.

But as for slowing down, ive tried both ways, clutch in, and brake, to slow down to proper speeds. or to downshift to allow the engine to slow me down, what is healthier for the bike?

what else should i know about this bike, so i dont accidently hurt or damage the insides.

thanks

Mitch

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

WOW i thought I went over board with the R6 as my first big bike. As far as braking goes you will stop better if you go through the gears as you apply the brakes. You also have less risk of locking the rear wheel than when you pull the clutch as you will have to drop mutiple gears at once with the latter technique.

Just find what works best for you though.

Oh and take care.

Robbie

1st Bike 06 R1 :o lucky bastard, I wanted to do that but the insurance companys just laughed at me so I had to go for an R6, anyway as above I've found changing down in gears while breaking to be better than clutch in completely

Ive kindof been going back and forth, between the 2, it really depends. if its a short light, ill gear down just clutching. but if i know its a long light, ill break and clutch my way down to 1st gear, knowing ill be waiting for a while.

thanks for the opinions

Mitch

• 11 months later...

Ive kindof been going back and forth, between the 2, it really depends. if its a short light, ill gear down just clutching. but if i know its a long light, ill break and clutch my way down to 1st gear, knowing ill be waiting for a while.

thanks for the opinions

Mitch

:rolleyes: Hi just wondering how you gettin on with that R1 ? I have an 06 R1 and love it, had a 99 one before it.....but this thing!!! :D

My first "big bike" is also an R1 although the slower 01 model :D

I let the engine braking assist allowing the engine to decend while braking and then clutch in when revs are way down, drop gears and go again.

Wanted the 07 R1 but no 0% finance on those :(

pulling the clutch in won;t do anything rally just allow you to freewheel, think back to your emergancy stop in your test teh last thing you do is pull the clutch in as the engine braking helps as teh revs come down.

i find the best way is to apply the brakes and down shift giving it a rev inbetween letting the clutch out so the engine slows me down, as well as the front brake but i let of that when i let teh clutch out so i have maximum grip. all quite confusing but seen as ive been doing it for a while its natural. i dont; apply any rear brake though as i let the engine have control of the rear wheel (well obvisouly me 2). :D

o yeah and you lucky bastard!! :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

And dont forget to blip on downshifts.......... ;)

Definitely makes for smoother downshifting :thumb:

Especially works well with short-stroke motors. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online