FJ1200 oil usage ??

DutchFJ1200
This post is 3168 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents,

When I do my weekly commute to Brixham 180 miles pretty hard driving going/returning @ 90/100 MPH for abt 90 minutes.

I seem to be having to top up my oil quite regularly last few weeks.

And a see 1 drop on the floor coming from within/behind the down pipes after parking up

I guess that wile driving that burns off - could that be a connection going to/coming from the oil cooler ? 

If it came from the top end I'd see a trickle down I guess but I can't.

Look forward to hear.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I generally change oil & filter every 3-4,000 miles and that's it. The level doesn't really drop low enough for top-ups unless I'm doing distances at higher speeds... as in several 'out all day' rides in a row.
The Scottoiler needs more regular topping up!

Perhaps check the carb balance and idle, make sure your warmed engine idling is about the 1050rpm mark?

• Like 1

Might be a the valve stem seals are a bit tired Dutch? how about the head gasket? is the oil just dripping down or is it tracking down from the cam cover gasket? As we know they are brilliant to work on, easy to get at and simple to fix ( not like the friggin FJR) , start from the top and see if you can spot the source of the oil. As Tasky says you should use more oil in the Scottoiler than the engine.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online