1967 YDS3-C

cee bee
This post is 3153 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

5600 miles on a '67 yds3-c big bear. worked perfect till Wednesday then.

summer start:  start in neutral, shift to first, it jumps and dies. tried shifting to second and it died.

tried push starting, didn't work(never tried push starting 350# when your 65)

then i started in neutral, pushed jumped on, shifted to second, gave a little gas and it bogged, then i felt something release and started running.

i shifted thou gears and clutch all worked fine(rode it around local lake).

Saturday morning cold start and it did the same thing. it's like the clutch isn't releasing or gears.

my bike guy said the plates are sticking

anyone out in yamaha land have any ideas of whats happening .       

Edited by cee bee

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You already have the problem solved "the clutch plates are sticking" happens when a bike is stood for a long time, try pulling the clutch lever in and wiring it back to the bars overnight, that usually frees the buggers up, if not then you have to take it apart and break the plates apart cos they can almost weld themselves together if left for a really long time, or just keep using it till they free up, a good long run can normally sort them out.

not much on long rides, but i tried holding clutch lever back.

it took a couple days and they started releasing enough that it does not die, but you can still feel them trying to grab.

is it weaken the clutch spring having the lever open like that?

I find get the bike moving like you said and hold the clutch lever in as you ride , and then keep aplying the back brake un til it frees off works for me , i have heard of people having to strip them though

If it continues then as above, you have no choice other than to strip it and break them apart, had a Suzuki a little while ago that was solid had to actually get a screw driver and hit it with a hammer to get them apart, no the springs will be ok if you tension them for a few days if they aren't then they were fucked anyway. You just need to keep using it cos if your half hearted about it then they will never fully come apart.

• 3 weeks later...

ran into old gentleman that owned a yamaha dealership.

he said to: motor not running, sit on the bike, put it in second gear, holed the clutch lever in and push it backward a couple times till plates release(i have pushed up to four times).

so far it's worked every time i've did it.

thought i would let everyone know so they could try it.

it might work for them too.         

You should probably change the oil, or strip and reassemble the clutch and give it a cautionary once over.

The clutch should be fine once its freed off it should stay freed off, sticking that fast could some gunk increasing the stiction on the plates, they only move a couple of mm. Holding the clutch lever will do nothing worthwhile, just moves the pressure plate its the rocking motion that frees them up.

• Like 2

Yeah as above there is no real movement of the clutch plates as such just a reduction in pressure from the pressure plate. If it still sticks then you really have no choice than to remove them and free them manually. Remember to check their thickness against the manual min/max settings someone might have put heavy duty clutch plates in it and that will make it harder to get them apart.

yea your wright on changing the oil.

he gave me 2 quarts of bel-ray gear saver.

holding the clutch lever was to let you know when it released.

Bike clutch doesn't work like that, all it tells you is the outermost pressure plate has released. The rest of the clutch pack could be tight as a ducks arse.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online