So it begins

Grouch
This post is 3286 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So the bike was due a service and I knew the rear pads needed changing so I thought I'd change pads myself, a nice easy job that I could manage. I tried to work out for a few days how to change them and I couldn't so when I booked the for a service the guy looked at the caliper and told me the rear wheel needs to be removed before they can be accessed. A bit strange and a silly design I thought, anyway took my bike for the service first thing Monday morning. The guy said would be ready around 2 in the afternoon.

Get's to the afternoon and I get a phone call, brilliant my bikes ready! Errr no!The guy tells me that someone has snapped an allen key or something in the nut and that it will take ages and cost me a lot of money because they will have to drill it out etc. Mmmm how the duck can that have happened because I haven't done it, no one else has touched the bike apart from them the last time it was serviced.

I kept calm and politely explained to him that myself or anyone else I know or have asked has touched the bike. So he started denying it. I then pointed out to him why would I come down and ask him to look at the bike if I knew I had knackerd it?

Anyway after I pointed this out to him he said "Let me get back to my mechanic and I'll have a word with him. In the mean time I had a look at the previous services sheet and it stated it needed a new brake caliper pin. Why didn't they put one on when they should of when servicing it? Because it was them that ducked it and the mechanic who did it didn't want a bollocking so he kept it quiet.

No wonder I couldn't work out how to change the pads! Anyway after not getting a phone call I phoned them and surprise surprise, we've managed to get it out. Telling me I'm lucky FFS! No your lucky you sorted it and stopped trying to blame me.

So for a service and to change the rear pads it took 5 days. 5 days of me using ducking taxis and public transport. Why did it take 5 days? Because in the whole of the UK they didn't stock a brake caliper pin and they had to ship it in from Japan.

I swear every single garage I have given custom to has ducked me over. I am sick to death of it now. This was a Yamaha dealer ffs.

I'm going to make sure there's nothing wrong with the bike next time it needs a service so they can't shaft me. £150 to change the oil and put a set of new pads on.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Buy a manual and do the servicing your self that way you know it's been done properly and you wont get ripped off. Servicing, changing brake pads ain't rocket science.

• Like 1

They don't do a manual for my bike. I've looked everywhere. I bought the bike new so I want the warranty book stamped with a yammy dealer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christ Grouch if you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck at all would you? I understand that you want a full Yam dealer service book but really ! How much would you lose if you just serviced it yourself and then sold it? Not as much as these robbing bastards are charging you I bet. Buy the frigging manual and learn how to do it yourself, you say there isn't one ok how do the garage service it then fucking psychic are they?

I can't find a manual for it, I've looked all over. In definitely doing all the work now. When I do it take it for a service it will just need minimal work, just an oil change. I just want the Yamaha FSH. I'm just going to start looking after her properly. I must admit I have been a bit lazy not living the chain and cleaning her.

I might as well just keep the bike. I suppose I can use it as a spare/cheap run around when I pass my test.

Ok then your looking for the WORKSHOP MANUAL not the Haynes or Clymer type. not easy to get hold of but you can usually get a copy from online somewhere. As usual I'm not allowed to say where you should go looking cos they are usually copyrighted but suffice to say that if you type in Workshop manual into something like Google and follow any and all links you might find what your looking for, it won't be cheap if it's a good one but it will save you money in the long run plus it usually has a section on common faults and proper servicing procedures.

Look here for a hint http://www.yamahar125.com/threads/download-yamaha-wr125r-wr125x-service-repair-manual.2900/

I was only looking for a Haynes. I never thought about an alternative. Cheers Slice I'll have a look.

Follow the above link to a PDF file if you want to. I think it's your bike WR125 is it?

Why would you need a workshop manual for basic servicing? Oil & filters you can do blindfold (sounds like your dealer does it like that, anyway), same with chain & sprockets, brake pads and so forth. The only things you might need a manual for is checking settings like valve clearances, electrical wiring diagrams for fault finding, that kind of thing.

As for the FSH business, most dealers don't give a toss about the stamps in a service book when you trade in, they're more interested in mileage and condition. The only people who care about FSH are those that think it means the machine's been looked after, and they're generally people who don't have a clue about the mechanics of the machine, but believe garages do a proper service every time - I think you know differently. I always like to get a greasy envelope stuffed with receipts for parts and old MOT's, much better than a pretty book with marks in it from somebody's old John Bull printing set.

• Like 2

Kn 'ell Grouch.

all a yam garage is, is a garage who Yamaha have authorised to carry out work. they are nothing special and if you do your own serviceing, you can still put a date in the book and sign it.

its still a FSH

If I did sell it I would sell privately. No way would I get shafted by a dealer. If I were buying a bike I would choose a dealer FSH over one without. I'm useless at mechanical/ practical things. I'm ok at changing oil etc but changing chain and sprockets I wouldn't be very confident.

I know you think I'm being silly and wasting money but I want to give the bike a Yamaha FSH. It's just something I have got stuck in my head. With buying the bike new I just want to maintain as much value as possible. The plan is to do all the work myself now (as long as it's basic) then just get it serviced periodically when it just needs oil changing.

• Like 1

Why would you need a workshop manual for basic servicing? Oil & filters you can do blindfold (sounds like your dealer does it like that, anyway), same with chain & sprockets, brake pads and so forth. The only things you might need a manual for is checking settings like valve clearances, electrical wiring diagrams for fault finding, that kind of thing.

As for the FSH business, most dealers don't give a toss about the stamps in a service book when you trade in, they're more interested in mileage and condition. The only people who care about FSH are those that think it means the machine's been looked after, and they're generally people who don't have a clue about the mechanics of the machine, but believe garages do a proper service every time - I think you know differently. I always like to get a greasy envelope stuffed with receipts for parts and old MOT's, much better than a pretty book with marks in it from somebody's old John Bull printing set.

Well I want my bike to have a big fat greasy envelope stuffed with reciepts for parts and old M.O.T's AND a pretty book with marks in it from somebody's old John Bull printing set :thumb:

Providing you can afford it grouchy, stick with your plan. As mentioned, keep the receipts to back up the service history. You will never get the servicing money back but the additional cost of main dealer servicing would be about £3.00 a week so half a box of fags or one pint or a burger at a roadside cafe. Just find a dealer who does what they get paid to do. My FZ came back the other day with copaslip on the brake pins, greased around the suspension linkages, the chain adjusted and lubed and the tyres pumped up.

Providing you can afford it grouchy, stick with your plan. As mentioned, keep the receipts to back up the service history. You will never get the servicing money back but the additional cost of main dealer servicing would be about £3.00 a week so half a box of fags or one pint or a burger at a roadside cafe. Just find a dealer who does what they get paid to do. My FZ came back the other day with copaslip on the brake pins, greased around the suspension linkages, the chain adjusted and lubed and the tyres pumped up.

DDT spot on if I remember right the last time you tried to fix your bike Grouch, it didn't go too well!

ps Grouch I didn't know there was so many ducks in Leeds :eusa_think:

I'm going to try Padgetts in Batley next. They're supposed to be really good.

I need to fit a new clutch cable which I can manage easily and soon a new chain and sprockets set. I'm determined now I can't carry on not being able to sort my own bike out. It's a good job I didn't get a 2T.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online