Building a toolkit - opinions on priority

captf
This post is 3293 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's a choice I can get you a spare kidney from work. Just let me know - don't forget to let me know your blood group too!

• Like 2

Obviously not ref the gasket goo, the hammers, stilsons and mole grips but I wouldn't keep a shifting spanner in my box

NOT kidding about the Instant Gasket?

But it's such horrid, nasty, evil stuff that previous owners never know how to use... I actually make a tidy side-living from helping a mechanic friend, doing jobs that almost always involve removing shedloads of IG before we can fix it!

If it's a choice I can get you a spare kidney from work. Just let me know - don't forget to let me know your blood group too!

Ooh, I might be interested - Can you get steak, too, as I fancy me a pie...!

• Like 1

Fek me Ttasky, I would have been more concerned re: NOT kidding about stilsons and molegrips, you must really hate gasket goo. FWIW, I was kidding about all 3, just entering into the spirit of DTs post

I could buy a new kidney [if I needed one] with the money a digital torque wrench costs! youch.

Capt'n

If that's the going rate for a kidney, why don't you flog your spare one and pick up the tool, you know it makes sense. Then, if anything goes wrong with the one thats left, DT can get you a new one....simples

Fek me Ttasky, I would have been more concerned re: NOT kidding about stilsons and molegrips, you must really hate gasket goo. FWIW, I was kidding about all 3, just entering into the spirit of DTs post

Yeah I assumed you were being lighthearted. Although I do personally find adjustable spanners of use and very occasionally the stilsons, but only because I use my tools for more than just bike maintenance... and the adjustables sometimes come in handy, especially for weird bikes like BMWs!

But instant gasket... That one is a serious eww. When I first got my FJ, it had no gaskets anywhere and the PO had applied so much that it was gumming up the engine. Since then, I've pulled it out of water jackets, valves, cams, timing chains, exhausts, fuel caps, brake calipers, between piston rings and more... I wouldn't mind so much, but I was only helping out while dropping by for a cup of tea and the only reason I made money was from guilt payments because "a quick hand with this engine" so often turns out to be "Ah shit, take the whole thing out. It needs a rebuild"!

Then again, I've helped fix a clutch that was superglued together, so it can always be worse!! :lol:

Then again, I've helped fix a clutch that was superglued together, so it can always be worse!! :lol:

Yep, it could have been owned by Foamy.

Sorry Steve!

• Who's Online (See full list)