1996 yz 400

dsb2014
This post is 3341 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If its valve clearance , it will be hot start that be the prob,. that pilot jet is blocked, as soon as choke is off , pilot jets does first 1/8 throttle

then venture speed brings in the neddle jet, then main when on Wide open throttle,,

By all means check the clearance tho ,,it all helps the running,,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi black hat appreciated muchly. Wen I had the carb off I can see right throuhgt the jets and I've notice the needle sticks out a lot I might check the clearince today and go over the carb again. Does the needle cause any of the problems stated

I've just read some where that once she starts from cold QOUTE since this model is equiped with a accelerator pump if the engine is raced (the throttle fully opened and closed ) the air fuel mix will be to rich and engine may stall. Also unlike a 2 stroke engine this model can idle UNQOUTE. Wen I've started her I have let it run for a min and began riding not hard just steady I'm thinking after reading this that this is reason behind the stall because um not allowing 2 3 mins to warm up. What does any 1 think ???????

• Like 1

Sounds a bit odd to me, you can't ride it till it warms up and you have to race? the engine, not how most bikes are built but I suppose that if that's what it says in the manual then that's what you have to do.

Early Kawasaki"s were like that, used to rev theyre nuts of when on choke,[ great way to fk the cams, oil slow to reach them ] I think your too lean , [ mixture] :eusa_think:

I've tried again to start her but nothing agaun. Valve clearences are in spec carbs been cleaned again. I've checked the spark again it's not a massive wow blue 1 it'd more yelloe. I bought a iridium one some 1 said they never go wrong so was gonna try testing the generator and coil

So I've unplug the generator wires today got the old multi meter out. I've checked all the phases and no reading came from it I crossed andvcheckrd differentconnections nothing. So i vr gone deeper and taken the fly wheel off and checking the coils. I have put the black wire from my Meter on the the pick up senser and touched the red wire on each coil all of them read 56.2 I don't know if this is spec or not because I've search every where to no avail. Can any 1 shed any light on this as there's a spark not a massive 1 but there's defo 1 there. I've also put a new plug in. Thanks guys in advance

Are you measuring Ohm"s ?

Pulser coil- Wire Red = 7.5 ohms - + 10%

Wire green- 5.0 " " - + 10%

Charge coil - br-b - 305 ohms- + 10%

br-r - 50 ohms -

I've tried every wire and nothing. Yeah measuring in ohms I've now taken the stator off still no readings from the connecter. If I put the black lead on the pick up and touch a coil I get a reading 56.2 and nothing else.