Dt125r cut out while riding and now not starting.. PLEASE HELP!

This post is 3404 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well it seems I've encountered another problem with the dt. I was riding home from work and as I turned down my lane the throttle suddenly didn't feel as responsive. My cable is a bit sticky atm so I thought it could be snapping but then the bike cut out completely and refused to start by kicking or bumping. As I was riding home I noticed that the bike wasn't idling and I had to keep revving when i stopped to keep it running. I walked it home and after about half hour I tried kicking it over again to no avail, and after about 6-7 kicks it made a fairly loud bang and started to smell like a firework! But I don't know where the bang came from. I should also mention that all the gears are fine, plenty of fuel, needed to top up on 2t oil but the light only came on 5 minutes before it cut out. The kick start also seems very easy to kick and I can easily push it all the way down with my hand. My guess is that something major has gone wrong inside the engine, but id need to take apart to see the real damage. Just wanted to hear other opinions before I do anything lol. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check your compression, sounds like you holed a piston. Hope not but someone will be along with more ideas in a bit.

Yeh sounds like pistons holed or the rings are stuck in the grooves, that oil light just coming on sounds a bit suspect,, :eusa_think:

it most likely is compression related, if you dont have a compression tester take the spark plug out and cover the hole with your finger and kick it over, you shouldnt really be able to keep your finger on the hole but obviously this is far from accurate

I've left it for tonight but I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning. Was thinking of doing a compression test but I dont have a tester. Think I'll probably just open up the top end tomorrow and see what's going on, if I've holed it or it's stuck that means most likely damage to the barrel right?

Hole in the piston means splitting the motor to get all the crap out. Unless you take a chance. Broken or stuck rings should just require new piston and rings and hone the barrel.

U should post pics of the damaga but sounds like just new piston and rings and hone should sort it.