XVS650 Custom Vibration

Nifty
This post is 3411 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

All bikes vibrate, some all the time others in very specific spots, my fairing rattles at about 32mph cos the plastic is worn from it being 20 odd years old, you have just found the sweet spot on yours so see if you can work out where it's rattling then tape it or use rubber bungs to damp it down, trouble is tho that if you cure one rattle it rattles some where else usually.

Mine has a distinct vibrate at a certain revs in each gear, think they all do it

Yer mine vibrates too so i wouldn't worry too much about it unless its the engine mounting bolts in which case you might find a sudden lack of power and weight reduction

I assume it's new, in which case the bike is just starting to break in... or if it's second-hand then possibly the vibes have always been there and you're just noticing as you become more familiar with the bike.

Either way, it's perfectly normal. It's a V-Twin, which is a bit vibey anyways.

Might be you're hitting the top (or maybe idling at the bottom) of the power band.

I'm trying to remember how I managed my own 650's gears... I don't think I clicked up to 4th until at least 60mph (96km/h), in which case that'd be low rev idle causing the vibes - You're hitting 4th gear around 37mph!!

Try adding more revs and learn at what speed the bike starts to struggle for each gear, then change up 5-10mph earlier. On a bike like this, you generally want to ride comfortably within each gear's power band.

Around town (30mph limit) 1st and 2nd will do, 3rd at the most so as Tasky says 4th at 37mph means you are changing up far too soon.

The 650 revs up to around 6500 rpm with maximum torque around 3000 rpm so you need to be adjusting you changes to suit, its not the same as the bigger engine stars such as the 950 which revs to around 5600 rpm

However, since there is no rev counter, you'll just have to do it by noise and feel... which means more riding!!! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online