Yamaha 1968(?) YL-1

Rat
This post is 3280 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I picked this bike up yesterday and its a bit rough, but restorable.

I would like to know if there a onestop shop for these bikes? Ive bookmarked all I can on ebay and stores in the US for the bits missing or need replacing. The only numbers I can make out on the engine so far are: L1-????? what year model is this or how do I find it please?

cheers.

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thers a YL 1 ON EBAY,,, I would post a link but :eusa_doh:....................

UK bike,,,not an import,,,, rusty ,,,,,

• 1 month later...

sorry I havent on..health problems and now no job has kept me away.

The YL1 is in pieces awaiting blasting and powdercoating. I cant find a petrol tank or rims here in OZ, are there any alternatives to use?

This is a friends recently restored AS1 , is this close to your model,,

20150404_171147.jpg

• Like 1

What's the old saying "never judge a book by it's cover" if you throw enough money at it it will be brilliant tho you might need a mortgage to pay for the list of parts. I do love seeing these old bikes rise from the rust.

• Like 1

Aye Rat " try clicking the bbr button [ that square switch top left,] you"l get a faded page, but just paste on it, .

that AS1 , is a 1971, its a tubed frame. I see yours is pressed ,

20150404_171116.jpg

Waxoil is good stuff for inside of frames, it stops the rust bug from spreading and gives the parts you can't reach a bit of protection, for £30 or £40 it really means that you never have to worry about condensation inside the bike again.

R185709-01.jpg

good call..Ill be sending parts to the blasters soon and have the powdercoat them then fill the voids with the waxoyl!! As this bike wont be on the road much, Powdercoating seems the best way instead of painting.

It does plug drain holes when you use it, you have to make sure that you clear them after treatment or you will get puddles inside the frame, other than that I have found it to be pretty good stuff. I found the best way was to find the drain holes and plug them with plastic, usually rawl plugs, and remove them when it's all coated and dry.