RD250E now on road - questions?

Sogra
This post is 3552 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well tried my RD250E (1979) for the first time to day - a bit of a shake down

Well the good news is it is still quick and smells great, I forgot how Revvie they were and how much you need to be in the power band, suprised at how easy the front wheel gets lite

Gear changes felt a little notchy but will adjust the clutch later and see if it improves to be fair used to ride them in trainers back then but know its boots all the way.

I would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of things, firstly the brakes feel rubbish plenty of pressure from the lever but didnt stop very quick. Maybe I am just used to modern twin disc fronts or they need bedding in for a while - anyway let me know what you think.

Also the front forks seemed to be bouncing, cant tell if its a reaction to the road surface or maybe the oil in them is to lite, also maybe a little to much air in the tyre.

The clutch is heavy but they were anyway but compared with the CB600 I have been riding I am going to need arms like Swarzenager

Trying to explain what is was to the young girl at the insurance company took some doing, she kept telling me it was an LC,then they never did an E its either a C or an F, eventually settled on a DX

I will try and take some pics if the weather improves.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well done getting back on the road mate. I would agree that you are comparing the brakes and clutch with modern bikes. I have an auld 59 speedtwin and the front brake is absolutely crap. I had it apart about 3 or 4 times before I realised I was comparing it to my modern bikes

The brakes on RD A/C after the D model were rubbish, the swinging caliper design was average at best. The earlier twin piston design are far better if you can retro fit those the difference is Night & Day.

The forks are poor by today's standards but the E model were fairly soft like my 400C, now the 350B are quite hard.

The clutch shouldn't be to heavy, neither of mine are hard work?

The brakes on RD A/C after the D model were rubbish, the swinging caliper design was average at best. The earlier twin piston design are far better if you can retro fit those the difference is Night & Day.

The forks are poor by today's standards but the E model were fairly soft like my 400C, now the 350B are quite hard.

The clutch shouldn't be to heavy, neither of mine are hard work?

That sounds possible, I need to give it a good run but just want to get some "feeling" for it before I get on in to much.

Further update, quick fork rebuild not a dramatic difference but it did make some change, in the form of 2p pieces that had been used as spaces but looked as if it had the wrong oil in. Then triwd tyrpe pressure down at 22 psi which is what the book said but not much difference. Deflated the tyre fairy liquid inflated to 40psi and then back to 24 psi and bingo much better.

What a drama stripping the forks, couldnt find / buy an 18mm hex bit / wrench, tried using a 12mm bolt with double nut but just stripped the thread, but for anybody trying in future using a 16mm 3/8 spark plug socket the wrong way round and using a ratchet in the socket to turn worked a treat. Getting the drain screws out of the forks took a carbide drill bit and screw extractors to remove.

Brakes much better not sure if just getting used to them or they are bedding in a little.

Clutch adjusted in many positions, I can get the gear change to be reasonable but the bite on the clutch is at the point the lever is almost fully out so looking like it needs a clutch which is probably why it is so heavy as well.

For 35 year old tech its pretty quick and handles not too bad, acceleration from 30 to 60 is dramatic if you dont let the revs drop.

Anyway off to look for a new clutch

just approved you on aircooledrd forum mate, the problem wth clutch could be heavy duty springs, or the clutch worm worn and not turning freely under pressure ,

Mervin, thanks much appreciated

I used to have a "84" rd400 highly collectable bikes very revy and whippy bike light to good hear yours is on the road not many are in Australia anyway two thumbs up :) :) :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online