squeaky valve

tomyqss
This post is 3577 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

my xt125x has developed a squeak, only on tickover an goes away after a short ride...

been told its a squeaky valve, but why would it just start squeaking overnight...it was fine the day before

but more importantly, how do i fix this....i've not stripped the bike yet so not had a look at the valves to see if its getting oil.

thought i'd get some more opinions first, see if you guys think it could be a squeaky valve or something else

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry don't know your actual bike so would you say exactly WHAT VALVE is squeaking? :eusa_think:

Valves SHOULD NOT squeak !! so either you have a broken spring or the cam shaft/valve lifter is worn, just my thoughts on it you understand but you have to have the cam cover off before you ride it any more cos if it's either of those you could loose he whole engine, should only take a few minutes to get the cover of and have a good look at what is going on inside, I would do it straight away unless you really want to hear what an engine sounds like with a broken valve rattling around in it sounds like. Been there done that.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got around to taking the head of to investigate, still no idea what it is...but im learning towards the idea of it being the cam shaft?

i did ask at the shop about if they had ever heard of a 'squeaky valve' they said no, so i'm a bit confused why i got told thats what the problem was....

anyways, after a visual inspection everything looks fine, so i've uploaded a little vid of the 'squeak' to see if you guys have any idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyDfY3aqv8

Hi again, that IS NOT a squeaky vale or any other sort of squeak it's the sound that a motorcycle engine makes as simple as that really. Don't bother listening to who ever told you that it had a noise cos they are a complete tit. Just ride and enjoy and NEVER even think about "SQUEAKY VALVES" again.

Hey slice

I always like your replies lol

yup i agree! he's a tit, (still a friend though even if he has a nipple for a head) same bloke that told me i wasn't tapping the flywheel puller hard enough.......so he hit, an he it that hard he bend it!

problem is, it wasn't making that noise before

Try a.slight bit of 2t in.your petrol.like 5ml just see if it can lube up abit

Dont do that firstly.

Slice is right its engine noise. There may be a valve needing a tweak. My questions....

Does it go when its hot?

Oil level and when was it last changed?

Hi

Listening to your you tube clip, maybe it could just be a bit of an air leak, spray the various joints and gasket interface areas with 'wd 40' whilst its running, could even be chuffing out of the spark plug hole if the plug is a bit loose,

its only there on tickover, an goes away after a ride....

i changed the cam chain an the rings, new gaskets, valves adjusted ....an i did put some additive in the fuel before this started

but it was fine after all that , then left it stood for a few days an it just seem to appear

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online