1984 XJ900 heap of crap

Noise
This post is 3582 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yer its getting there, brought the head into work this morning and gave it to the machine shop to properly fix the studs but i highly recomend not riding a bobber with 20kgs of DOHC head in your rucksake :shakeno: takes all the fun out of biking.

only reason im motoring on with this Tommy is that i no longer want this rust filled lump in my shed haha, plus it seams like im trying to polish a turd and dress it in a pearl necklace, and i know for a fact that three weeks down the line its just going to be neglected again.

Ya that is one bike that you have to say when to stop on it,esp if the owner is not going to keep it up . Looking better though.

Well this is still proving to be a pain in the ass but i think im nearly there. finally got the head back on all tourqued up and lined up the cams up spot on etc etc only to turn the crank and find that the cam chain had fallen off the bottom :madflame:

So OFF WITH HIS HEAD again and managed to get it all back together with the help of the wife and tonight im hoping to get the cams back in and can just finish up the rest of the bike tomorrow ready to deliver it Saturday. :spin2:

ah no the troubles continue,

got every thing back together last night and during the victory cigarette i rotated the crank to see if all is good and bang, pistons hit the valves :tantrum:

Turns out that the modle that i was told it was ended up that it wasn't and the TDC is lind up by a different mark on the timing plate, so out with the cams yet again, rotate the timing plate 90 degrees and started again, popped on the cam caps and she's now spot on, just gotta set the cams up one more time as they are both about a tooth out but i was so shattered from work and doing that i just gave up and went in for a brew.

So today after work it going to be a day down the park with my Nikkita and the dog, then its home to get this all put back together and out my shop. :praying:

I had a look at the XJ I was going to buy but it was a right pile of doo doo so I baled out..

Good for you because these things are a royal pain in the ass! It seams to be fighting every step of the way. Half an hour to get the carbs seated in the inlet manifold is taking The piss oall because of the space restrictions.

On a good note i have finally got the motor back together :)

Well thats it, she's finally done and delivered!

She fought me ever step of the way even when i rode her to my mates house to give it back to him as the fuel line was going up hill so no fuel was getting into the carbs, so a quick road side reapir with a tie wrap that i had in my pocket and off we went, i gotta say that she actually ran and rode very well and i can see why he keeps it going.

It is riddled with faults but mostly because this one is so poorly maintained.

Here are some final pics.

Old fuse box

DSC_0756_zpsnp8f779h.jpg

New fuse box

DSC_0757_zpsu7i4xz3e.jpg

New exhaust

DSC_0758_zps3t7b3jqg.jpg

DSC_0759_zps06kzkvev.jpg

Engine finally looking nice (minus the two dog hairs and the fuel leak dribble)

DSC_0760_zpssgstsvwx.jpg

I had to change the fuse box because it was so badly rusted that when i took a fuse out the cradle pins snapped so i thought it best to upgrade it to a modern day type box.

All fixed, i tried tidying my photo bucket account up with snazzy folders but looks like it just cocks up your posts

done a good job there considering what you were working with!

now come over to my gaff and get this engine sparking ;)

• Like 1

I would love to but having a break from fixing bikes for a while as i think i need to find the daughter again, been a very long game of hide and seek haha.