Carb "tuning"

Bradlo
This post is 3670 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks...how much do you think I will have to pay to have my '94 535 virago carbs sorted, as part of a service ?

( Just need a ball park...so I can start saving my pennies!!!!)

Cheers

Stuart

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's literally just a tune-up, it should take a few minutes (including warming the engine up). So take one hour's labour costs (£30 per hour is reasonable... sort of) and factor that down to however many minutes it takes the bloke.

If it's part of a full on service, he may not even charge you extra for it.

Alternatively, get yourself a set of mercury gauges for about £50 and do it yourself. I do mine. It's usually just turning a couple of screws until the gauges are even. No more difficult than setting the hands on a clock, really!!

However, if by 'tune up', you mean actually stripping the carbs, cleaning them out and rebuilding everything, then it will take longer. I can strip, clean and rebuild my own 4-piece carb within a leisurely 2 hours. This includes stripping the other bits off the bike to reach them, fucking about getting the carbs back on again, taking a phonecall or two, smoking cigarettes and making tea.

Assuming no problems (extra dirty, stripped screws, awkward parts, etc) I'd expect a pro to manage it in about an hour.

If you're anywhere near Reading, I know an excellent professional mechanic...