Rd r r - the tale of 3 RD400's - More of a saga than a project.

DirtyDT
This post is 3297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Really enjoying your latest project - you're a motivational force for the rest of us!

Blimey! I have been called some things in my life but "motivational" isn't one of them. Thanks but there are much better projects than mine on the site.

Do you have any pictures of the rebuilt carb - interested to see what it looks like after being cleaned sonically?

Here they are before and then after. The outside would clean up better with a quick soda blast or wipe over with a metal polish. The insides are very nice.

rd4001-023.jpg

rd4001-028.jpg

rd4001-025.jpg

rd4001-026.jpg

rd4001-027.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Having multiple projects on the go at the same time, a white board comes in handy for listing the parts to order,and keeping track of the next to do's I find i dont miss ordering stuff since I started using it

I would be frightened of my wife seeing how much stuff I've ordered. will have to devise a code like clean = bought & remove = order :jossun:

I use:

"Jean has a long moustache"

"wound my heart with a monotonous languor"

I love that film.

Pity my better half is in when all the parcels are delivered!!

I would be frightened of my wife seeing how much stuff I've ordered. will have to devise a code like clean = bought & remove = order :jossun:

LOL

Why dont you fit a drop box to your shed and get the stuff delivered direct to there, cut out the middle man so to speak :icon_wink:

sorry mate, I'm judging everyone by my own standards :eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty:

sorry mate, I'm judging everyone by my own standards :eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty:

Ha ha, we are all born who we are, some change out of circumstance and some through desperation. I think you are confusing me with Foamy. :eusa_whistle:

:babyha: ------------- :bootyshake: bandit,,,

Do you think he is trying to pull me John? When I said I wanted to improve Anglo Scottish relations I didn't quite mean that :eusa_snooty:

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have been mainly spraying bits and cleaning the huge quantity of 2 stoke oil I spilled when I was emptying the tank.

Both carbs rebuilt after a couple of ultrasonic washes.

The calipers are still away being referbed.

The barrels and heads are still away being referbed.

Too much to do now!!

The barrels and heads are still away being referbed - they should have been ready yesterday but I coudn't get hold of the bloke today.

The calipers are back.

rd4001-064.jpg

rd4001-065.jpg

The guy called me yesterday and went through what he had done. No new pistons needed but they are nice and clean. Very pleased.

I have rebuilt the rear brake cylinder. Sorry, no picture.

Brought some:

Fork oil

Brake fluid

Brake cleaner

More Autosol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put fluid into the forks and the front end is back on.

New head bearings, new fork seals and dust seals, wheel swapped with new bearings and seals. Brake caliper refurbished and front master cylinder painted and rebuilt. New braided hose, brake pads and caliper bolts.

rd4001-067.png

rd4001-068.png

Picked up the set of barrels and heads I had blasted and painted

rd4001-066.JPG

Brought another set of barrels and pistons. On .50 so lots of life left in them

rd4001-069.JPG

Popped over to the RD rally to say hi and pick up some bits to get RD2 up and running. Chatted to Airhead for a little while.

Here are some of the bits (with some I had):

UK frame, road registered (R reg) still MOT'ed and Taxed to 2015

rd4002-004.jpg

Front end

rd4002-003.jpg

Wheels

rd4002-002.jpg

Proper "C" clocks - I have the seat lock and petrol cap too - all use the same key

rd4002-001.jpg

I am pleased but It still cost a few quid. I think it is a good basis for a C restore but I am not fussed about being purest.

The frame and swingarm (I have had the swingarm a while and only opened the delivery box this afternoon) don't really need painting but I might just clean and give them a few coats. I really need to get RD1 up and running again as first priority.

I have decided that RD2 is going to be Marine Blue. It is a stock '76 UK colour for an RD so it won't upset anyone - I think! I don't have a tank etc for it yet so I am thinking of using the stuff off RD3 as a start. Not sure yet.

That seams the best bet. There are plenty of tanks out there. I got a few parts myself recently at the right price its just a case of waiting.

I cant post photos for some reason I have another go later. DONE.

c629fa.jpg 49665c.jpg

I got this! and a fair few bits for a RD250A. Forks, Yokes, Mudguards, Chassis, 2 Tanks, Loom (undamaged), Clock loom ( which is what I went for) Rear Light bracket (result these are getting hard to find) plus lots more. £85 and a drive to Yorkshire.

• Like 1

I have first offer on a newly repainted set of blue tinware but they are not ready yet. I have a cost to repaint the RD3 set too - in blue - but only the 3 parts for the C model I would need.

I'm assuming you know about Med as he's the man with paint.