Rd r r - the tale of 3 RD400's - More of a saga than a project.

DirtyDT
This post is 3296 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am going to start sorting the RD's out soon. One slow project and one tidy up RD project. One tidy TS project and a total rebuild on the YA-6. This thread will be RD's as the other bikes are already covered elsewhere.

Before I start I need somewhere to work. I have filled my 8x6 shed and there is no room for me left to stand in it. This means I need a bigger shed. I have a space but it needs some groundworks doing.

Groundworks booked to be done 15th ish April.

Main shed brought and booked for W/C 21th April. The smaller, gardening stuff and storage shed, will wait until later. I went for a 16 x 10 for the main one :thumb: .

Stuff being ordered and already sitting in boxes. This includes a RD400 engine in my hallway that I have nowhere else to park at the moment.

More later.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

why wait 2 months for ground works its a shed not a block of fats, you should organize a YOC BBQ in march and we'll come & sort your Flags for sausage's :hyper:

Jealous of the shed ( & the bikes).

When I get my house sold I will be able to afford to get hard landscaping done to get my big shed.

Wont be a 16x10 though.

Might get a 12x8 or possibly 12x10 depending on how the space goes.

Looking forward to reading this thread.

Good"o plenty pics,,,,,as we like picys,,,,, . :photo2:

Oh yes John. Lots of pics makes a good thread.

why wait 2 months for ground works its a shed not a block of fats, you should organize a YOC BBQ in march and we'll come & sort your Flags for sausage's :hyper:

I couldn't afford the sausages.

I have flags on half of it already but am getting the guys to lay a 18 x 20 concrete slab and put up 7 fence panels and a handful of posts.

• 1 month later...

The bikes waiting for their new home. Groundworks start tomorrow.

lineup1.JPG

Popped down to Southampton :crazy: this morning for a set of bargain wheels. 5 hours return trip.

RD400wheels1.jpg

• Like 1

I see you have the Makro bike jack, got one myself when they went down to £40 :)

wish I had enough room for a 16' shed :(

Good weather for ground works too , :jossun:

Them jacks are great for landrover gearbox removal too ... :thumb:

I got the jack from fleabay - local pickup; a score I think (£20).

Schedule of works;

Today: Digging out, New fence, Shoring up, Some pointing on the chimney.

Tomorrow: Pour concrete.

17th: Trim conifers on one side of garden.

22nd: Erect large shed, Seal base (straight to concrete), paint floor.

23rd: Erect small shed (8x6), Creosote.

24th: New main consumer unit Plus Part P

25th: Spark the big shed with power and lights Plus Part P

26th: Put in storage, bench etc and try and fit stuff back in to sheds.

28th: Back to work.

29th: Start to tackle the bikes in earnest.

Presently My plan is to:

1) Deal with the advisories on the RD400(1); Fork seals, steering head bearings and replace the wheels with the recent purchased ones. Then a tidy up checking/replacing as I go.

2) Finish stripping the YA and start on the rebuild.

3) Exhaust paint on the TS and sort out the electrics.

4) Start on RD400(2).

That should keep me poor busy for a while.

Photos to follow.

Well now I know why you have so little miles on your bike,all work and no play time.

I guess having 4 seasons and being forced off the road for the winter isn't so bad vs 1 season of rain,work on bike when I cant ride work on nothing when I can LOL

It is OK if we ride all year but it is very noticeable who does and who doesn't. Riding in January I can be the only bike in the bike park and see no other bikes on my commute. As soon as the sun comes out, all the summer riders appear. I have to admit that I use the bike a lot less in the winter than I could.

Quick update on the progress. Still work to do on the workshop and shed. The builders were delayed for various reasons and I had a 'mare with the concrete floating. Early evening before the cement mixer turned up yesterday, approximately seven and a half cubic metres of concrete laid - all by barrow off the mixer. I intended to float the concrete but popped out and by the time I returned some had already gone off and couldn't be floated :eusa_doh: . This is going to leave me with an uneven workshop floor so on to plan B for that.

Number 1 RD has developed a 2 stroke oil leak. I think it is one of the pipes from the oil tank so a set of complete oil lines ordered.

That sucks ,I hate doing concrete work never had good luck with it.Either the forms give me grieff or the dam stuff never sets.I did a retaing wall 15 years ago and I think the concrete is still green LOL.

Whats plan B make another pad beside that 1 and use that 1 for a parking spot?

Bloody ell newman " you get hours before it sets,,, more if thers polythene below it. i"v seen us go back next day, and throw buckets of water on it , and it will turn up again , then polish it,, did you have a power float,,,

then polish it,, did you have a power float,,,

no it was a double flusher :moon:

That sucks ,I hate doing concrete work never had good luck with it.Either the forms give me grieff or the dam stuff never sets.I did a retaing wall 15 years ago and I think the concrete is still green LOL.

Whats plan B make another pad beside that 1 and use that 1 for a parking spot?

I managed a project that had some Linac bunkers and kit a couple of years ago. Some of the concrete was about 5 feet thick. For plan B; please see below.

Bloody ell newman " you get hours before it sets,,, more if thers polythene below it. i"v seen us go back next day, and throw buckets of water on it , and it will turn up again , then polish it,, did you have a power float,,,

There were a couple of old shed bases already there so I have built up a step - albeit a big step - about 10 inches higher that the surrounding garden to allow for enough depth above these so it won't crack. I already have ali ramps to get bikes in and out.

The first part laid was solid and the last part was still possible to float so I did some. I am not really fussed as the slab will be three quarters covered by two sheds anyway. The last quarter is to be able to work on stuff outside. No power floater, just me!!

Anyway, plan B.

Garage grade flooring.

garagefloor1.jpg

I will just make sure that the concrete isn't too high or low before I lay them. I have to seal the areas where the doors open and have a rubber sealing strip waiting already. This is to stop any water from coming in under the doors ( 1 personal door and a set of 7 feet wide double doors).

I have ordered some bits to go into the workshop and they should be arriving next week. It's amazing how much I can get with just a little T shirt money :eusa_whistle:

• Like 2

Update:

I am starting to run behind schedule but the large shed workshop is up. Still stuff to sort before I can lay the floor and get the electrics in it.

largeshed1.JPG

Stuff to fill the workshop is starting to arrive:

toolchest1.JPG

Hopefully I can start to write about the bikes soon!!

• Like 1

Nice!! are you going to insulate it?

What type of security are you doing! maybe you shouldn't answer that. :eusa_whistle:

wow could live in there. good job :)

I could get 10 people living in it if things get tough!

Nice!! are you going to insulate it?

What type of security are you doing! maybe you shouldn't answer that. :eusa_whistle:

Cheers. I wasn't planning to insulate it but I will think about it. Security wise.................... It is locked on both doors but maybe a little extra wouldn't go amiss..................

8 x 6 gardening shed is up this morning. It is dwarfed by the workshop. It is only to separate bike stuff from garden stuff so it will do.

largeshed2.jpg

Workshop electrics should be in on Friday.

I'd better get on, lots to do. Maybe more pics to follow.