Rain Season Maintenance

laydeepunch
This post is 3760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Again, probably a bit of a silly question but genuine lack of knowledge on my behalf. What should I be doing in the wet/winter season to look after my YBR? I know all the regular stuff but I'm worried all this water is doing damage; I haven't been riding often (floods, floods everywhere!) and the bike stands (covered) in the street as I'm a city dweller. All this isn't boding well- there's beginnings of rust on the chain links which I'll try to deal with ASAP, but what else should I be looking after/ out for?

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Firstly GOD DAMN. :eusa_whistle:

secondly as long as the chain only has a small amount of surface rust , just put some lube on it and go for a spin the movement of the chain should take most of the rust off. Make sure you never let the chain get to dry- this could cause all sorts of problems.

spray all the parts that are likely to rust with some WD40 (there is another similar product that most people here swear by, but i can never remember the name) to prevent the water from getting to them. If you are riding the bike around when there has been grit on the road, make sure that you wash it as often as possible. This grit eats at cars and bikes.

Also try and let the bike dry off a bit before putting the cover over it, otherwise the moisture just seems to stay under there forever. Of course this time of year it is damn near impossible to do, but if you get the chance maybe leave the cover off for a little while when its not raining to let the moisture out.

Firstly GOD DAMN. :eusa_whistle:

secondly as long as the chain only has a small amount of surface rust , just put some lube on it and go for a spin the movement of the chain should take most of the rust off. Make sure you never let the chain get to dry- this could cause all sorts of problems.

spray all the parts that are likely to rust with some WD40 (there is another similar product that most people here swear by, but i can never remember the name) to prevent the water from getting to them. If you are riding the bike around when there has been grit on the road, make sure that you wash it as often as possible. This grit eats at cars and bikes.

Also try and let the bike dry off a bit before putting the cover over it, otherwise the moisture just seems to stay under there forever. Of course this time of year it is damn near impossible to do, but if you get the chance maybe leave the cover off for a little while when its not raining to let the moisture out.

But not the brakes!! If you use WD40 or ACF, it's better to spray it on to a cloth and wipe over the parts that come anywhere near your brakes, rather than risk lubricating them. You'll find your stopping distances pretty interesting if you do manage to spray the brakes...

:)

• Like 1

Haha, yeah I did figure I'd be doing some uuh, interesting riding if I WD40d the brakes.

Did as you said Welshman, and it's looking (and riding) MUCH better! A friend of mine also suggested Dupont Teflon All Purpose Lube, and it sounds pretty amazing as it cleans whilst lubricating. Anyone tried it?

• Like 1

I dont need to use lube.............................i have a big thick prop shaft...................um still sounds dirty. Lets start again.

Hi Im Noise and have a dragstar which has no chain so i do not have to oil it.

I mainly use WD40 on a rag and wipe it over every thing bar the brakes, if you see some little puddles of water on the bike spray some Dubs on it and it will push the water out and away from the bike. ACF50 is brilliant too, just like sticking another skin over the bike which the water just runs off.

But again make sure the chain is maintained correctly and well lubed as just like sex....its not nice getting a dry tight spot :eusa_whistle:

Thorough rinse all over with cold water

Use Muc Off or similar all ove rthe bike and wash the bike

Dry thoroughly

ACF50 sprayed/wiped all over APART FROM BRAKE DISCS/PADS SHOES ETC

Remember that a little goes a long way as it tends to creep

You can put it on your chain too

Should last for weeks

Happy to help!

wurth chain wax comes highly recommended. That's what i used to use when i had the road wheels on my old bike.

chainwax.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online