XVS650 Classic buzzing noise when switched on

spectrum72
This post is 3847 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have just bought a second hand 2002 model XVS650 Classic. When I turn the ignition key to on I here a buzzing/sizzling sound for a few seconds and the engine warning light comes on. After a few seconds it stops, the light goes off and the bike starts normally. I would appreciate any thoughts on what could be causing this and where to look :eusa_think: . Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's not Bees or Bacon frying (buzzing/sizzling) then it's an electrical problem, check your connections at the battery and the regulator maybe the starter motor that's my best guess anyway, any earth wires that might be loose can do this as well, your in for an interesting time looking for this type of fault cos you have to get your ear down to where the noise is (or you think it is) and turn it on and guess where the noise is coming from then tighten up anything that's near and try again till you find the connector that's playing up. Might be an easy fix, good luck.

• Like 1

Are you sure it's not just the fuel pump priming?

Its the fuel pump priming the carbs, its all normal, engine warning light comes on just like all the lights on your car dash board does before you start the engine (like a systems check) if it goes out then your fine, the pump may go on for a little longer in hot weather as the fuel will have evaporated out the carbs thus the pump needs to prime more.

Only panic if the engine warning light stays on after you've started the engine.

Happy riding mate and enjoy ;)

• Like 1

Its the fuel pump priming the carbs, its all normal, engine warning light comes on just like all the lights on your car dash board does before you start the engine (like a systems check) if it goes out then your fine, the pump may go on for a little longer in hot weather as the fuel will have evaporated out the carbs thus the pump needs to prime more.

Only panic if the engine warning light stays on after you've started the engine.

Happy riding mate and enjoy ;)

Fantastic! Thank you for your reassurance, I can stop worrying about it then :hyper:

Most (if not all) carburetted bikes do something like this.

It's kinda cool... even better if your clocks whizz round as well!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online